Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your central heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Older generations used to contend with a lot of things we no longer have to. Be it colder houses, poorer diet due to shortages, more diseases, limited dental care and so on. My dad told me all about winters when he was young especially the colder ones - it was dreadful at times freezing to death only being able to warm up when you finally reach school - the only place with heating! Of course knowing no better it was just something you deal with - but would he want to go back? No way! We could wash our clothes by hand, eat only basic limited foods, never leave your local area, never go to the dentist and wash only once a week too in order to be as 'hard' as our ancestors but... I think I'll skip!

I was referring only to cold weather when I said hardier.

Also, does that apply to pleasantly warm weather like 25-27c too? Or even hot stuff like 30c+? Plenty can't deal with heat either - are they 'soft' as well?

I can actually stand the heat quite well, and I have never burned here, I just much prefer it at something like 20C in Summer because you can do anything in that. 30C puts limits on things. I know cold weather can also put limits on things but it's much easier to protect yourself against it.Also, I find a lot more people are happy and cheerful at 30C than they are at say 0C. So being easily able to put up with lower temperatures puts you away from the norm more. And those that can easily put up with -10C and 40C are hard as hell! I've never known anyone like that though. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

And those that can easily put up with -10C and 40C are hard as hell! I've never known anyone like that though.

I'll introduce you to my friend - Mr. Grylls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

On a bit when getting up then switch thermostat down after  40 mins.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Now back off again and looking at the model runs probably will be mostly off 99.9% of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

18.5 indoors and windows wide open...more comfortable than it was a couple of weeks ago. I like it to be a little cooler though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Also, I find a lot more people are happy and cheerful at 30C than they are at say 0C. So being easily able to put up with lower temperatures puts you away from the norm more. And those that can easily put up with -10C and 40C are hard as hell! I've never known anyone like that though.

Not really the same league though IMO unless you are strictly referring to maximum temps.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It is currently 7.8c outside, so yes, the heating is on! It's not on all day, just 90 minutes in the morning and 3 hours in the evening and a wee fire on in the sitting room where there's no radiator. Oh, temp down as I type, now 7.7 and falling with clear skies. 

Na the only thing for the foreseeable future i'll be doing is taking daily cold showers to cool down after a brisk walk, plenty of sweat and rain on the brow ;)

Felt incredibly mild this afternoon, temp only said 15C but it felt alot warmer of course that is after a nice brisk walk.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Todays better weather helped a lot as it only fell to 18c - and I even noticed a 0.4c rise when the sun fell on the place! That warming ended by 1030 so we cooled off from then.

Heating came as normal at 6ish so it ran on auto until it made it to its decent 21c.

Certainly less gas will be used in the coming days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

16c here tonight in Falmouth. Lovely and warm. Long may it continue until any cold weather can actually bring something exciting instead of

Horrible 6-9c and rain. Still shorts weather here and that heating is going to be needed possibly at all this winter. The palm trees don't exist here for no reason. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Came on this morning to take the edge off but spent the day packing things & cleaning everything so in this mild 17c weather we could even open the windows! Soon as I sit down they're closed and house is sitting at an acceptable 19c which will do till I head out this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Week away and amazed at how cold it got inside here so turned the lounge storage heater on last night to take the edge off the cool, it is only on low mind, the big one in the hallway remains off as that does the rest of the house.

Posted

Came home from work today, to find that the missus had got the radiators on. So I've taken the thermostat apart.

Excellent work.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

21c inside. No need for the heating on. Though had it on start of the week when we had a few much cooler mornings for a while. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

21c inside. No need for the heating on. Though had it on start of the week when we had a few much cooler mornings for a while. 

dropped to 17oC inside here hence why I turned it on, else it has been fine.

Posted

Came home from work today, to find that the missus had got the radiators on. So I've taken the thermostat apart.

Hats off to you, sir.Do u have an understairs cupboard though? If so that would be the better option.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Guess your sleeping in the spare room tonight.

Posted

Haha that genuinely made chuckle! Who's betting in reality we're talking to a man under the thumb...

• Like 2

Posted

Haha that genuinely made chuckle! Who's betting in reality we're talking to a man under the thumb...

Just let me finish the hoovering and I'll get back to you.

• Like 4