Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For the umpteenth time running, it shown nowhere to have an odds on chance of being below normal, I would like to see its output in global map projection format, to see if it actually forecasts a below average winter anywhere.

Maybe it has large teapot theory programmed into it, but in reality, it looks like its got chocolate teapot theory programmed into it.

It does seems to favour mild weather

Posted Image

And no I haven't rigged it

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Shocking graphics in terms of ease to read, either way, the best one for presentation is the CFS in meteociel format.

It does seems to favour mild weather

Posted Image

And no I haven't rigged it

Posted Image

I was right first time wasn't I, it is a Gavin spectacular run??

• Like 1

Posted

Last winter the EC32's were consistently wrong with their monthly updates, in fact it became a bit of a standing joke when Matt Hugo tweeted each month how the EC32 was seeing HLB when in actual fact the exact opposite kept on happening. We are still a million miles off issuing correct forecast beyond 10 days.

He did indeed. His winter forecast (if he does one) will hopefully be out soon so that will be interesting to see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

IRI is in for October

continues to go above normal for temps

Posted Image

No real signal for precipitation

Posted Image

I read that as saying most of the UK has a 40-45% chance of having above average temperatures for D/J/F when calculated across a variety of models. So that would be a 55-60% chance of normal or below. 

The precipitation chart is ludicrous, conveying as it does absolutely no information other than the shape of Europe.

Edited by Yarmy

Posted

I read that as saying most of the UK has a 40-45% chance of having above average temperatures for D/J/F when calculated across a variety of models. So that would be a 55-60% chance of normal or below. 

The precipitation chart is ludicrous, conveying as it does absolutely no information other than the shape of Europe.

Don't forget there has to be a % chance of being around average as well,  as per my post above, I don't rate the presentation at all.

Posted

It explains quite clearly what white overland means so I see nothing to suggest as you do?

Posted

It explains quite clearly what white overland means so I see nothing to suggest as you do?

White means climatology, i.e. no signal at all. What use is that? Any forecast of any worth must be at least as good as the climatology skillwise when verified to what actually happens.

Posted

For the umpteenth time running, it shown nowhere to have an odds on chance of being below normal, I would like to see its output in global map projection format, to see if it actually forecasts a below average winter anywhere.

Maybe it has large teapot theory programmed into it, but in reality, it looks like its got chocolate teapot theory programmed into it.

EDIT : Scrap that comment, I get it now, its just onions graphics.

EDIT AGAIN : No, I was right first time, that's showin everywhere mild.

I don't think I have ever seen this model forecast a colder than average Winter.  I don't rate it.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't think I have ever seen this model forecast a colder than average Winter.  I don't rate it.

Apparently its a number of models combined, you would think by the chart Gavin posted that that would be a really strong signal for the whole world but like you say it never predicts cold so its probably a chocolate teapot averaged out, melted all over the kitchen table, cause by heat from its projected temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted

White means climatology, i.e. no signal at all. What use is that? Any forecast of any worth must be at least as good as the climatology skillwise when verified to what actually happens.

I don't think a "no signal" forecast is as useless as you're claiming, and it happens frequently enough in all the models. e.g. the CFS shown below. Even the best models have huge areas of the globe covered with "no signal". It might mean that there truly is no signal (intrinsic), or it could mean the model is not good (practical). Hard to know in individual cases. I think what we hope, is that when a model does go for a signal, that it comes off well. The majority of seasons come in close to seasonal average, so for a model to predict "no signal" more often than not might be a sign that it is well calibrated.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I think you misunderstand, their prediction is for climatology to be the forecast, nothing in the data suggests it will be markedly different either one way or the other. That is just as good guidance as showing large -ve or +ve values. Well it is to me anyway.-

• Like 2

Posted

I think you misunderstand, their prediction is for climatology to be the forecast, nothing in the data suggests it will be markedly different either one way or the other. That is just as good guidance as showing large -ve or +ve values. Well it is to me anyway.-

Respectfully, I disagree. It's not showing anomalies, it's showing probabilities, and the precip chart isn't showing anything at all. It's not saying "we expect it to be close to the climatological average", it's saying "the uncertainty is too great to offer any prediction at all".

If you look at the CFS ensemble anomaly charts they too are covered in white to indicate areas where the skill level is so low that no forecast can be made.

My gripe is that the precip graphic is actually showing me less information than if I looked at an actual climatological precip chart for Winter, so why issue it at all?

Edited by Yarmy

Posted

Why is it that the colours on the map (such as they are) don't seem to map the colours in the key?

I know I'm colour blind, but I don't usually get it that wrong!

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

its very quiet in here with a lot of people not having much hope for this winter now the atlantic has woken up and things have been looking just above the average temperature wise.

just thought I would raise everyones spirits a little with a wee reminder that winter is far from over if you look at world weather over the last years the big thing that has started to appear more and more is massive swings in what weather there is in places.

i.e we have seen an increase with the swings in extremes around the world like going from record heat to record cold and also going from record setting rains to periods of well below average rains or drought conditions and this is happening all over.

so what I am trying to say is just because the atlantic is starting to roar now it doesn't mean even a month down the line from now we cant see cold or even exceptional cold with snow and ice days.

maybe even that elusive OMEGA BLOCK we all crave.Posted Image

keep the faith people and wait to see what comes in the months ahead hopefully us coldies will see what we want.Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

its very quiet in here with a lot of people not having much hope for this winter now the atlantic has woken up and things have been looking just above the average temperature wise.

just thought I would raise everyones spirits a little with a wee reminder that winter is far from over if you look at world weather over the last years the big thing that has started to appear more and more is massive swings in what weather there is in places.

i.e we have seen an increase with the swings in extremes around the world like going from record heat to record cold and also going from record setting rains to periods of well below average rains or drought conditions and this is happening all over.

so what I am trying to say is just because the atlantic is starting to roar now it doesn't mean even a month down the line from now we cant see cold or even exceptional cold with snow and ice days.

keep the faith people and wait to see what comes in the months ahead hopefully us coldies will see what we want.Posted Image

In the old days all I had was the  'look out of window' and the 'weekly country file weather forecast' on a Sunday, if I missed that it was back to my parents Daily Express on the Monday

Happy days  Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

IRI is in for October

continues to go above normal for temps

Posted Image

No real signal for precipitation

HA HA That's created by James Mad den's Nemisis.

That has about as much chance as coming off and Captain Mad Den's Ice Age Mageddon prediction and should be ignored in equal measure.

I STILL think we will have a warmer winter than the previous 6 and have thought so since July (and publicly stated it too), based on nothni9g else than pattern matching, and looking at previous winters where conditions have been SIMILAR.

2002 | 2003 seems a good comparison Winter IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HATE HEAT! LOVE COLD!

I am only going to write Winter 2013/14 off in my mind come March 2014. Only way is up now! Had we kept getting stonking CFS runs and LRF's then we would only have been set up for major let downs.

I still believe that all that early snow cover over Siberia is yet to shows its hand regarding this winter Posted Image

Edited by Jaffusmaximus
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Don't see why there's despondency at all at the moment. European long range models are apparently together on the idea of N blocking (as Matt Hugo told us yesterday) and the CFS is still churning out blocked charts...such as the run this morning. Unless it's a matter of collective reverse psychology?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted

Don't see why there's despondency at all at the moment. European long range models are apparently together on the idea of N blocking (as Matt Hugo told us yesterday) and the CFS is still churning out blocked charts...such as the run this morning. Unless it's a matter of collective reverse psychology?

As I've said before, for fun people should look at the winter prospects thread towards the end of Nov 2009. Now there's some despondency. (In deference to Chioni, he has pointed out that those in the Strat thread then were quietly optimistic).

Posted

I think many people are subconsciously aware that in recent years we have seen a particular pattern emerge and become defiantly stubborn. Our weather has become less "mobile" over the last few years and many may fear that an Atlantic onslaught may be "locked in" for the next 3-4 months.

I'm not worried, the models chop and change all the time. We must also remember that the models are displaying what they think might happen, they are not a picture of what will happen.

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

yes the CFS certainly going back to blocked charts.

heres the updated 12z

post-18233-0-31622600-1382105434_thumb.ppost-18233-0-78125000-1382105442_thumb.ppost-18233-0-18020600-1382105449_thumb.ppost-18233-0-58857500-1382105455_thumb.ppost-18233-0-88908700-1382105463_thumb.ppost-18233-0-40864600-1382105469_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Sorry, for being so curmudgeonly, but why are the CFS's blocked charts any more (or less) believable than its zonals?

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
  • Like 3

Posted

i think much of it has to do with the ridiculous early season hype and cold hunting which began in september when two days of below average 850s appeared and now we are faced with charts like this:

Posted Image

There is a period in the Autumn on here when everything points to the next winter being the bestest ever for cold.....and it's always a long way down from there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I am only going to write Winter 2013/14 off in my mind come March 2014. Only way is up now! Had we kept getting stonking CFS runs and LRF's then we would only have been set up for major let downs.

I still believe that all that early snow cover over Siberia is yet to shows its hand regarding this winter Posted Image

Maybe April 2014 ?  Given IMBY had near two weeks of lying snow here in March.

I'll take snow what ever month it falls

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

yes the CFS certainly going back to blocked charts.

heres the updated 12z

Posted Imagecfsnh-4-11-2013.pngPosted Imagecfsnh-4-12-2013.pngPosted Imagecfsnh-4-1-2014.pngPosted Imagecfsnh-4-2-2014.pngPosted Imagecfsnh-4-3-2014.pngPosted Imagecfsnh-4-4-2014.png

Dosent show much greenie blocking anyway.

• Like 1