Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 23rd August onwards 2013

Guest William Grimsley

So far today, there has been 1 torrential rain shower with pea size hail, 2 light rain showers and 1 moderate shower, here. Rainfall Today: 4.8 mm Rainfall Last Hour: 0.4 mm. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Some quite lively storms to the W and NW London currently, can see the line of CBs and even the bases between rain/hail cores clearly to the west from my office in west London.

Posted Imagelightning1720.JPGPosted Imageradar1720.JPG

yep, that passed over newbury with a couple of decent rumbles and a down pour... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Is it? Great! Posted Image

Is it? Great! Posted Image

No!

That doesn't sound right to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is this a mistake? 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/brecon-beacons#?tab=mountainWeather

Heavy snow in the early hours Posted Image

Sorry wrong thread - better post something convective.

Well, with only minimal CAPE some half decent storms sparked off in one or two places today. I wonder what tomorrow will bring? If I am honest, a bit less convective than today on recent charts but I shall look again in the morning.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

There is already a thunderstorm on the south coast this morning.

Guest William Grimsley

Yup and a torrential rain shower that just went S of here.

Posted

Actually, looking again the storm is out to sea so I very much doubt anyone is hearing or seeing it. 

Guest William Grimsley

Two big deep rumbles of thunder heard in portsmouth nope make that three lol

That's only recently then! The lightning detector hasn't picked that up yet LOL :D

Posted

UKASF update for today:

post-6667-0-73934500-1378629254_thumb.jp

Synopsis

Cut-off upper low begins to form a sharp upper trough once again, as it slowly pivots northeastwards across the British Isles, with two strong jet streaks on the eastern and western flanks. Cool mid-levels atop warm SST/LSTs will promote another day of convection.
Discussion

... HIGHLIGHTED AREAS ...

Showers are already ongoing offshore due to warm SSTs and cool mid-levels. Steering winds will continue to push further showers inland through today. As surface temperatures rise due to diurnal heating, showers will become more sustained as they move inland, with further showers developing elsewhere. A couple hundred J/kg and ELTs down to -30C suggests some sporadic lightning is possible, particularly over the western half of the ISOL due to the best instability is likely to be present here. DLS is initially rather weak, but will increase significantly in western areas later in the afternoon, allowing cells here to become better organised and more sustained. Some low-level convergence along southern and western coasts may perhaps allow a funnel or brief waterspout to form. Given cool air aloft, some small hail is possible in some showers. There are indications that convective activity may increase in coverage around the coasts of East Anglia, Kent, Sussex and Lincolnshire through the evening hours, with perhaps a greater chance here of some sporadic lightning activity through the evening and early part of the night, particularly near the coast.

Thanks Dan, I'll take that!

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

Steering winds will continue to push further showers inland through today. As surface temperatures rise due to diurnal heating, showers will become more sustained as they move inland, with further showers developing elsewhere. A couple hundred J/kg and ELTs down to -30C suggests some sporadic lightning is possible, particularly over the western half of the ISOL due to the best instability is likely to be present here. DLS is initially rather weak, but will increase significantly in western areas later in the afternoon, allowing cells here to become better organised and more sustained. Some low-level convergence along southern and western coasts may perhaps allow a funnel or brief waterspout to form. Given cool air aloft, some small hail is possible in some showers.

Hell yeah! Bring it on! :D

Posted

Hell yeah! Bring it on! Posted Image

Looking OK for some:

Posted Image

But is the potential for Lincs going to be all in the North Sea by tomorrow?

Posted Image

Posted

well what a night that was, 2 separate storms all thunder and no lighting first at about 3am next at about 5am, very loud all noise and no fizz Posted Image

Posted

well what a night that was, 2 separate storms all thunder and no lighting first at about 3am next at about 5am, very loud all noise and no fizz Posted Image

Very strange as thunder is the sound of the lightning. In the day it is possible for thunder and no visible lightning if, for example, it is within the clouds. However, at night when it is dark you would think you would still see the clouds glow.

The GFS chart Coast posted has a thunderstorm symbol just to the west of here at 6pm. Here's hoping.

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

Very strange as thunder is the sound of the lightning. In the day it is possible for thunder and no visible lightning if, for example, it is within the clouds. However, at night when it is dark you would think you would still see the clouds glow.

The GFS chart Coast posted has a thunderstorm symbol just to the west of here at 6pm. Here's hoping.

It's probably intra cloud lightning but yes it is strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You must have blinked at the wrong moment, Barry.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Just heard crack of thunder sounded to south east, no lightning seen though. I missed the thunder at 8am - unusually for me I slept through it.

Steve

Edit: Well that was brief! 5 minutes later heavy rain stopped & the sun is out.

Edited by sabre999uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
Posted Image

Has anyone seen this chart from GFS weather charts from T360 (I think) for sea level pressure, it kind of vears towards iceland after looking like it was coming in our direction (grrr they always pinch the lows!)  That's a pretty impressive low though even for a novice like me to notice, maybe this is somethign for us to keep an eye on potentially....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Posted Image

Has anyone seen this chart from GFS weather charts from T360 (I think) for sea level pressure, it kind of vears towards iceland after looking like it was coming in our direction (grrr they always pinch the lows!)  That's a pretty impressive low though even for a novice like me to notice, maybe this is somethign for us to keep an eye on potentially....

Its a long way out so is unlikely to verify and looks way too deep for the time of year.

This isn't anything to do with convective weather. You should post this in the Atlantic storms thread.

This thread just discusses convective weather i.e thunderstorms,lightning,hail etc.Posted Image