Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted

I have being to Finland three times and they are taught how to deal with it because they are used to it. In Lapland they have to put snow tires on from November to the start of april and they have to have lessons on driving in the snow. The problem this country has we are not used to it as it not very often we get bad weather however the goverment should invest more in how to deal with snow as it would stop most problems even if it did cost them a bit of money but this is the goverement we are talking about so they about as tight as a nuns fanny

• Like 2

Posted

The latest value: 7,029,839 km2 (October 14, 2013)

Posted Image

Over 7 Million now.

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

Posted Image

And a decent amount of snow below 60N.

Should we see a big growth across Scandinavia from Tomorrow then? 

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
Probably nicest not to doubt the word of a fellow member?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Well I find that hard to believe considering Northern Ireland was colder than most of England.

December 2010 featured both Northerlies and Easterlies. While Northerlies affect Northern Ireland more than most of England, Easterlies favour East Anglia a hell of a lot more than they do Northern Ireland. Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted

December 2010 featured both Northerlies and Easterlies. While Northerlies affect Northern Ireland more than most of England, Easterlies favour East Anglia a hell of a lot more than they do Northern Ireland.

Average high was 1c and average low was -7c very few places in england got that.

Does this Met Office link help? http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/dec2010

Posted

There may be a mild spell coming soon to north europe

probably, its autumn.....

still getting colder where it matters at this stage-

http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Russia?symbols=none&type=lapse

• Like 2

Posted

probably, its autumn.....

still getting colder where it matters at this stage-

http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Russia?symbols=none&type=lapse

I don't know about you but i'm concentrating on Greenland. 

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

I don't know about you but i'm concentrating on Greenland. 

greenland's always cold. high pressure there now means little. we need snowcover in siberia, extending outwards through october to build an anomalous high pressure to allow wave-breaking. greenland comes later

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I have being to Finland three times and they are taught how to deal with it because they are used to it. In Lapland they have to put snow tires on from November to the start of april and they have to have lessons on driving in the snow. The problem this country has we are not used to it as it not very often we get bad weather however the goverment should invest more in how to deal with snow as it would stop most problems even if it did cost them a bit of money but this is the goverement we are talking about so they about as tight as a nuns fanny

My husband recommends go kart racing - it should be part of every course of driving lessons (and it's fun). You learn how to control skids, cornering and reading the road conditions really fast so your reactions are sharpened.

I don't see why the government has to fund everything. Can't people find out things for themselves and practice a bit?

I used to just jump in the car and set off for work when it was icy not thinking about the road, but since I met my husband, I follow his advice… I always try an emergency stop where it doesn't matter - I slam on the brakes and see what happens - test the road where you have somewhere to skid which won't hurt you, the car or anyone else. Common sense really. But not so common nowadays.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted

greenland's always cold. high pressure there now means little. we need snowcover in siberia, extending outwards through october to build an anomalous high pressure to allow wave-breaking. greenland comes later

Yes but my cold comes from Greenland.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

My husband recommends go kart racing - it should be part of every course of driving lessons (and it's fun). You learn how to control skids, cornering and reading the road conditions really fast so your reactions are sharpened.

I don't see why the government has to fund everything. Can't people find out things for themselves and practice a bit?

I used to just jump in the car and set off for work when it was icy not thinking about the road, but since I met my husband, I follow his advice… I always try an emergency stop where it doesn't matter - I slam on the brakes and see what happens - test the road where you have somewhere to skid which won't hurt you, the car or anyone else. Common sense really. But not so common nowadays.

Iceni,

I agree totally with your post.

I have been driving for 50 years.

I too had problems on ice in the early years, but I took action.

In the icy conditions I found empty spaces (school playgrounds in december (holidays), car parks (out of hours) and open spaces where nothing existed (in other words any safe space) where frost/ice had formed),where I could practice spin turns and control of the car. 

It taught me to steer into a slide (the natural reaction is to turn the other way).

This can still be done today without government help, though it would be good if the government allowed schools to open up gates at certain times at the weekend so theat people could practice for free.

How about a campaign?

Midlands Ice Age

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Yes but my cold comes from Greenland.

It will stay there with the PV sitting over it. The cold over Siberia reinforces the Siberian High which should extend to the pole creating a negative AO. That's the sort of thing we are looking for at this early stage. But even a -AO is no guarantee of cold here. We can still miss out with a -NAO. We are a very small target, and it's very hard to get cold here: the last few years have been the exception not the rule.

• Like 1

Posted

What does the pv do?

http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/climate-dynamics/polar-vortex-impact-winter-weather

It's a semi-permanent area of low pressure that strengthens during the winter over the far Northern latitudes. We are always looking for it to be split, displaced, or just plain shredded because otherwise we get plagued by relentless Westerly zonality. In Dec 2010 it came to visit the UK:

Posted Image

People spend a lot of time in the Strat thread because events there can have a big influence on disrupting the PV down the line.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

What does the pv do?

The polar vortex is the simple tropospheric response to the cooling of the stratosphere caused by winter and the complete lack of sun at the pole. Essentially this cooling increases the thermal gradient in comparison to southern latitudes and the still warm oceans which produces a cyclonic response. Because the default position of the polar vortex is close to Greenland an average winter for the UK sees prolonged westerly's.

As below, it can move or be weakened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Sea ice extent has dropped below 2008 now on IJIS, but we're still 1.7 million km2 above 2012.

Over the next 7 days, 2012 grew by over 200k/day, so it will be tough to stay far ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Iceni,

I agree totally with your post.

I have been driving for 50 years.

I too had problems on ice in the early years, but I took action.

In the icy conditions I found empty spaces (school playgrounds in december (holidays), car parks (out of hours) and open spaces where nothing existed (in other words any safe space) where frost/ice had formed),where I could practice spin turns and control of the car. 

It taught me to steer into a slide (the natural reaction is to turn the other way).

This can still be done today without government help, though it would be good if the government allowed schools to open up gates at certain times at the weekend so theat people could practice for free.

How about a campaign?

Midlands Ice Age

We had an old air field near Liphook where I learned to drive with Mum and Dad. I suppose it's all been built on by now.

But wouldn't it be a good idea to do a Top Gear type of test track where you could go at a w/e to brush up your driving skills? Perhaps we should start a charity and get a grant. Plenty of old semi-bangers around which could be used.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Sea ice extent has dropped below 2008 now on IJIS, but we're still 1.7 million km2 above 2012.

Over the next 7 days, 2012 grew by over 200k/day, so it will be tough to stay far ahead.

There was more open ocean readily available for refreezing last year, so yeah, it will be tough to maintain a substantial lead. However, it's the best refreeze (so far) for the last 9 years. (Now just behind 2008 in the extent figures).

The next few weeks will be interesting to watch!

The latest value: 7,116,601 km2 (October 15, 2013)

Posted Image

post-15733-0-08894700-1381919505_thumb.g

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Look at those pixels grow Posted Image

Loving this!

Any chance of a side by side comparison to 2010 at this point?

Edited by throwoff

Posted

Svalbard getting a proper covering. Another week and it's the long polar night.

http://longyearbyen.livecam360.net

• Like 2

Posted

Look at those pixels grow Posted Image

Loving this!

Any chance of a side by side comparison to 2010 at this point?

here you go mate-

latest-

Posted Image

this time in 2010-

Posted Image

as you can see, we're well ahead.

if you want to compare other dates, heres the NOAA archive link- http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/gif_archive.html

and heres the main NOAA page for the latest- http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/

• Like 2