Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18z 28/07/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Just been in twitter contact with Simon King, 5-Live's met forecaster, he says:

"signs that big high might well persist beyond the weekend too"

• Like 4

Posted

With the UKMO and ECM both differing at T120 anything after this is pure speculation, however there certainly looks like a spell of settled weather early next week with temps in low 20's (certainly not headline news). Could possibly turn unsettled again after midweek. I don't see any hot weather on the horizon.

Low 20s? Think it would be much warmer than that in the south no matter which model you look at this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This morning's Ecm 00z ensemble mean is the best looking mean I have seen since the July Heatwave, just look at that continental heat heading into the uk later next week, it looks very impressive with the high moving into the perfect position to enable the hot & sultry airmass to spread up across the uk, this mean would bring heat to rival july and more hot and sultry nights with hazy scorching sunshine but also an increasing risk of storms breaking out, either homegrown or imported from france, it would bring a classic end to this excellent summer, absolute perfection for hot weather fans, a rerun of the heatwave last month, whether we tap into the continental heat or not, it looks very much like the uk is going to have a very nice summery spell spreading up from the south as the anticyclone builds in, the PFJ is forced to retreat well north towards the arctic...it's an EPIC ens mean.Posted Image Posted Image

post-4783-0-43949600-1376645713_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-23276600-1376645725_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-88006200-1376645733_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-29714400-1376645743_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-07400000-1376645752_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-18957300-1376645767_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-15618100-1376645803_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-87292600-1376645811_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-56039200-1376645829_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-79219500-1376645839_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-53131800-1376645855_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-61102600-1376645870_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-42603100-1376645879_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-41375900-1376645938_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty039
  • Like 6

Posted

Low 20s? Think it would be much warmer than that in the south no matter which model you look at this morning.

Yeah for my place down south Mon and Tues next week only 20c.

Posted

I have to respectfully disagree.The GFS and its ensembles are  solid their projection of a very fine and warm settled spell of weather and ecm 0z is a vast improvement on the 12z yesterday.So,with that in mind,your last comment is patently not true.

Take a look at the gefs 0z ensembles AND the ecm0z mean right out to 240h,they are both sublime and bring about as good a synoptic pattern as you could wish to see in August.

I have to respectfully ask you to read my post properly then HD. 

You highlight this 'So classic case of more runs needed, but what I said 24hrs ago still stands imo, i.e a nationwide heatwave is still as far away as it's ever been...indeed it may even be a little farther away this morning.' but then suggest this... The GFS and its ensembles are  solid their projection of a very fine and warm settled spell of weather.

When does a 'very fine and warm settled spell of weather' = a nationwide heatwave?

Moreover, when do we simply rely on GFS alone?

Nationwide warmth and sunshine (note nationwide!) is still by no means guaranteed next week, the possible LP coming in off the Atlantic midweek still  has the potential to throw a significant spanner in the works for the north and west in particular...so as I said - more runs are needed.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I have to respectfully ask you to read my post properly then HD. You highlight this 'So classic case of more runs needed, but what I said 24hrs ago still stands imo, i.e a nationwide heatwave is still as far away as it's ever been...indeed it may even be a little farther away this morning.' but then suggest this... The GFS and its ensembles are solid their projection of a very fine and warm settled spell of weather.When does a 'very fine and warm settled spell of weather' = a nationwide heatwave?Moreover, when do we simply rely on GFS alone?Nationwide warmth and sunshine (note nationwide!) is still by no means guaranteed next week, the possible LP coming in off the Atlantic midweek still has the potential to throw a significant spanner in the works for the north and west in particular...so as I said - more runs are needed.

How often would nationwide apply to a warm mainly dry spell such as we are about to experience?
  • Like 2

Posted

How often would nationwide apply to a warm mainly dry spell such as we are about to experience?

When people read posts like this Tony....

This morning's Ecm 00z ensemble mean is the best looking mean I have seen since the July Heatwave, just look at that continental heat heading into the uk later next week, it looks very impressive with the high moving into the perfect position to enable the hot & sultry airmass to spread up across the uk, this mean would bring heat to rival july and more hot and sultry nights with hazy scorching sunshine but also an increasing risk of storms breaking out, either homegrown or imported from france, it would bring a classic end to this excellent summer, absolute perfection for hot weather fans, a rerun of the heatwave last month, whether we tap into the continental heat or not, it looks very much like the uk is going to have a very nice summery spell spreading up from the south as the anticyclone builds in, the PFJ is forced to retreat well north towards the arctic...it's an EPIC ens mean.

Anyone from Littlehampton to Lerwick reading the above would expect at the very least a 'warm mainly dry spell' and that to be fair is putting it mildly.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted

meanwhile, the shortwave is back on the 06z!

Posted Image

Looks far enough west not to do to much damage on that chart PC...let's see where it goes later though before drawing to many conclusions.

Posted

Looks far enough west not to do to much damage on that chart PC...let's see where it goes later though before drawing to many conclusions.

yes, it just sort of dies a death....bit of a midweek washout for the Hebrides and northern Scotland if it's right, though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Morning gang ,things are already hotting up on Net weather even before any warm spell arrives ,we must ALL take a good look at our post before hitting that button .plenty of action weatherwise and a very good chance looking at current data of a good v warm spell next week .lets grab it with open arms ,some excellent data still being posted on our brilliant forum ,we also have the possibility of some action weather out in the very very long range frames of modells so plenty to keep us on our toes .Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

T+120 hours FAX chart, welcomes back high pressure and the 564 dam line, summer is coming back with a BANG next week, initially for the south and then extending up across the uk as the anticyclone continues to build in, the evidence supporting a return of very summery weather far outweighs anything else.

hi karl :)

that fax chart worries me, that shortwave is too close for comfort, and the models are struggling to nail its exact impact on our weather. adding the anomaly charts into the equasion (and listening to what john and others have said) then i do think theres room for concern. the models may well all be showing some fantastic outputs for sun/heat, but if that shortwave doesnt play ball then everything after t120 - t144 is fantasy... as i see it, it MIGHT all go wrong yet. if no one can nail the synoptic charts at t120 then everything else must be treated with caution.

you know me, theres no one here who wants another hot spell more then what i do.... but the pain of possible disappointment outweights ramping excitement when there is justified cause for concern...

until that pesky shortwave has been dealt with and its threat of spoiling removed, ill not be happy! i would be happier with more anomaly chart support, after all, the shortwave might only be a delaying feature to the real warmth.... or it might herald something less then currently predicted on the ops.

meanwhile, the shortwave is back on the 06z!

Posted Image

thats good news, it tracks it further northwest then what the fax suggests.... but which is more accurate at t120? the ever excitable gfs or the more sober fax?...

• Like 2

Posted

well... these look great! pity they all disagree with eachother...

post-2797-0-10663100-1376650986_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

well... these look great! pity they all disagree with eachother...

Posted Imagetest8.gif

Similar to the 12z yesterday the GFS wants to build a swathe of heights to the north. Still warm for now but a setup that could well evolve to something cooler in the future.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

The essence of this I think as suggested earlier is that the shortwave is unlikely to have any effect on a build of high pressure afterwards - alas it simply provides potential nuisance value to areas further north and west during next week. This is highlighted by the METO anyway. As CS points out it could well serve to help assist some pretty warm air northwards though, but the total extent of this is uncertain.

I don't think the minor details should get in the way of the larger scale pattern - that is really the point. Its not worth worrying about anyway as its the weather and will do what it doesPosted Image  *she adds untechnically*Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 2

Posted

Good to get an old fashioned model debate going and will provide interest over the weekend where CPC guidance not written, as usual we will be into Monday 12z until we get a true picture. Good to have John and Mushy placing the caveats on things, with the deterministic models not in good agreement at day 5 then a little ways to go on this one yet.

I have to pick you up on this L; over 3 years I have never seen more than a couple of, at that doubtful instances, when the NOAA 500mb anomaly ouput showed a difference that could be attributed to the factor you quote. I did have correspondence with NOAA about 4 years ago. Their answer was that the lack of forecast input was in the technical summary rather than the actual NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 chart outputs. If I get a chance I may send another e mail and ask if in their view the NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 over weekends and BH's show any differences other than the obvious day to day differences one sees throughout the runs?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

The essence of this I think as suggested earlier is that the shortwave is unlikely to have any effect on a build of high pressure afterwards - alas it simply provides potential nuisance value to areas further north and west during next week. This is highlighted by the METO anyway. As CS points out it could well serve to help assist some pretty warm air northwards though, but the total extent of this is uncertain.

I don't think the minor details should get in the way of the larger scale pattern - that is really the point. Its not worth worrying about anyway as its the weather and will do what it doesPosted Image  *she adds untechnically*Posted Image

im almost with you, but its the larger scale pattern that has its doubts. if i viewed only the ops, id be pretty convinced of a decent lengthy settled warm spell...hot even at times, but i cant get past johns analysis of the anomaly charts. a 70% accuracy rate when the charts are in agreement for 3 runs is pretty impressive.... the current problem is is that the three used do not agree, unlike july when they did. now to my way of thinking, if theres going to be a substantial pattern change away from the atlantic driven one we have now, to a protracted spell of high pressure dominance, it would show NOW in those anom charts and they would agree... or maybe this is a case of where the 30% is right (i assume the 30% where they dont agree and the ops are right? )

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

WOW the Gfs 06z op run certainly does have the wow factor about it, it's anticyclonic from early next week until the end of august with signs of a reload by the end and a brief half hearted atlantic breakdown for the north but the majority of the latest gfs run is absolutely spectacular with very warm and settled weather across the whole of the uk, hottest across the southern half of the uk with temps in the 27-31c range as the heat eventually builds in from the near continent, nearer 24-26c for n.ireland & scotland which would be way above average. The Ecm 00z ens mean and now this run add yet more concrete evidence that we are heading into a sustained very summery pattern through next week and the following week with the PFJ  half way across greenland and into the arctic where it can't bother us for a while, the 6z is anticyclonic heaven, it's showing warm, very warm and hot weather with increasing humidity, the outside chance of a few isolated storms being triggered eventually but the main emphasis is on glorious late august sunshine and a perfect end to a great summer, we could not ask for more.Posted Image

post-4783-0-76383900-1376654302_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-45942700-1376654314_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-01564100-1376654323_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-10769500-1376654332_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-28938200-1376654344_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-45538300-1376654354_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-96853100-1376654376_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-20046200-1376654385_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-93778200-1376654393_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-91710000-1376654403_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-31150100-1376654417_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-71151100-1376654426_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-81761600-1376654435_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-30364100-1376654447_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-19421100-1376654456_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41218900-1376654464_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-16640200-1376654476_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-47658600-1376654486_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-18673500-1376654495_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-89252000-1376654503_thumb.pn

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Looks like summer is far from over just yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

im almost with you, but its the larger scale pattern that has its doubts. if i viewed only the ops, id be pretty convinced of a decent lengthy settled warm spell...hot even at times, but i cant get past johns analysis of the anomaly charts. a 70% accuracy rate when the charts are in agreement for 3 runs is pretty impressive.... the current problem is is that the three used do not agree, unlike july when they did. now to my way of thinking, if theres going to be a substantial pattern change away from the atlantic driven one we have now, to a protracted spell of high pressure dominance, it would show NOW in those anom charts and they would agree... or maybe this is a case of where the 30% is right (i assume the 30% where they dont agree and the ops are right? )

I think the answer lies in the fact that we are unlikely to see a whole-hearted nationwide fine spell for part of the time at least.  As stated earlier, i think it is probable that it will be punctuated by a few interruptions and showers - and I hesitate to mention it because it sounds rather IMBY, but southern and eastern areas look most favoured for the best conditions. That is simply as it looks, and genuinely not intended to suggest any partiality whatsover. That said, I think that the latter part of next week and into the weekend, at the very least, looks good for most of us across the UK Posted Image

If we look at the updated extended NAEFS mean, it does suggest that north western most parts may be at risk of a few inroads from atlantic weather fronts once more after the Bank Holiday weekend. But this is clearly beyond the boundaries of any reliability atm

.Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I have to pick you up on this L; over 3 years I have never seen more than a couple of, at that doubtful instances, when the NOAA 500mb anomaly ouput showed a difference that could be attributed to the factor you quote. I did have correspondence with NOAA about 4 years ago. Their answer was that the lack of forecast input was in the technical summary rather than the actual NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 chart outputs. If I get a chance I may send another e mail and ask if in their view the NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 over weekends and BH's show any differences other than the obvious day to day differences one sees throughout the runs?

Happy to be picked up on this as elevates the subject and I know it is a topic that keeps on coming back in Model discussion, what I was meaning regarding the 6-10 day and 8-14 day upper air tools is that the prognostic discussion is not written over the weekend. I find this part of the guidance useful as it explains the thoughts of how they blend the solutions on offer and gives some insight into where a model is off kilter, too quick or showing an anomaly. Also the rating of the general outlook in terms of agreement with the score out of 5 weighting is a good indicator of the expected pattern. Not in dispute at all about the charts. 

The links I have that do update over a Saturday and Sunday are these ones - 

WPC Discussions  and within that front page the extended analysis

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

Posted

Hello,

Sorry if I'm posting this request in the wrong thread?

Posters often put up the monthly NH composites for MJO phases here.  My link for these now goes to "American Weather"

As anyone got a new link for these monthly phase composites please?

Thanks