Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2013: thoughts, prospects and forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Either warm or atlantic lows bringing in the salmon and the cod, oh yes.

Posted

November,with a CET of 5.5Posted Image

Off on a tangent slightly,but  spring 1962 and spring 2013 are almost the same (CET) wise,

March 62 CET of 2.8

April 62 CET of 7.7

May 62 CET of 10.3.

March 2013 CET 2.7

April   2013 CET 7.5

May   2013 CET 10.4.

And into summer...

June 62 CET  13.7

June 2013 CET 13.6..

• Like 3

Posted

I think the start of autumn will be dry with lots of sunshine & warm too, then from the middle of October it will turn more unsettled with rain & frequent gales, but fairly mild tempertures. November will be generally mild apart from the odd colder snap further north & into the winter I think it will continue mild, with any snow reserved for high ground in the north.

Edited by SunnySouthCoast
  • Like 1

Posted

The last significantly cold autumn was 1993. The way the last 3 years have gone with the coldest winter for CET since 1978-79, coldest spring since Victorian times and the coolest summer for over 20 years, it feels like we are due a notably cold autumn, a sub 9C CET autumn. Both autumns 2010 and 2012 were the coolest since 1993 but their CET values were not particularly notable.

• Like 2

Posted

Off on a tangent slightly,but  spring 1962 and spring 2013 are almost the same (CET) wise,

March 62 CET of 2.8

April 62 CET of 7.7

May 62 CET of 10.3.

March 2013 CET 2.7

April   2013 CET 7.5

May   2013 CET 10.4.

And into summer...

June 62 CET  13.7

June 2013 CET 13.6..

The similarity with 1962 has been commented on elsewhere in the forum too. This year has really tracked the earlier one remarkably closely

Although Jan and Fen 1962 were actually both comfortably warmer (at 4.3 & 4.4 respectively) compared to the chilly Jan and Feb (3.2 and 3.5 respectively) of this year. 

However now looking at July, in 1962 the figure was a likely moan-inducing miserable 15.1, whereas I think July 2013 is now looking likely to deliver something rather better Posted Image

Perhaps this is just a correction from the extra cold Jan & Feb we had to endure this year compared to the former year. So supposing we really are going to track 1962 (and to get this post craftily back onto the topic of Autumns prospects) then we can expect a below average September and November but a bang on average October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I am still hoping it will be that "Indian summer" we all like

fingers crossed

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im hoping some Autumn storm's with severe gales, something we've been lacking for the last few years..

Posted

Off on a tangent slightly,but  spring 1962 and spring 2013 are almost the same (CET) wise, March 62 CET of 2.8April 62 CET of 7.7May 62 CET of 10.3. March 2013 CET 2.7April   2013 CET 7.5May   2013 CET 10.4. And into summer... June 62 CET  13.7June 2013 CET 13.6..

How I wish pattern matching worked!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I feel it will be a bad winter. The end of November, it will be VERY cold. 2010/11 winter looks likely to be a repeat...with a hint of 1994/95.

Are you not going to give Autumn a complex if you just ignore it ? Poor little fella, I'm going to get I love Autumn tee shirts

Contrasting October weather1993http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n7MvhNLMO82001http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R9SVMha8Rk

Contrasting in need no way I can see Michael getting into that skirt/dress.

October 1985 was one that stands out for me (warm)

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2

Posted

IMO it's only a matter of time before we see strong height rises over Greenland again, as the charts CC posted for winter we could be looking at some exceptionally cold conditions. For the Autumn I see an average first half proceeding a below average second half, with precipitation coming in below average for the whole of Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

It's too hot!

Looking forward to autumn, being able to sleep at night and not having to constantly worry about sweaty armpits!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

It's too hot!

Looking forward to autumn, being able to sleep at night and not having to constantly worry about sweaty armpits!

An Active "Arctic" Cold Front similar to that in Mr Data's videos from 8-9th July 1993 would get us off to a great and early start to autumn.  Posted Image Posted Image  Unfortunately unlike 1993 the Arctic is now too warm for such summer cold blasts.

Posted

First signs of Autumn #1 - flowers fading on Elders, tiny berries forming. Time to dust off the demijohns!

Your Elders already fading! Mine are only just flowering. Should be a good crop of berries this year, throw a few handfuls of blackberries into your fermenting bucket, makes a fantastic wine!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Alright, I,m ready for autumn now. It,s too warm by day and night.

• Like 3

Posted

Your Elders already fading! Mine are only just flowering. Should be a good crop of berries this year, throw a few handfuls of blackberries into your fermenting bucket, makes a fantastic wine!

Yep - practically all gone,now. Was a real abundance of flowers this year so hopefully the berries will follow. Got loads of bramble in the jungle at the bottom of the garden too so may add a few blackberries to a gallon but unadulterated,well-made and matured elderberry wine is truly something to behold and in my honest opinion knocks fancy, expensive French stuff into a cocked hat. I guess the wine snobs would beg to differ!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

After last year I am "soaking up" this summer, may need to book another week off soon so I can do just that.

I like Autumn (and winter) but for different reasons, I use that time indoors, now I am quite active outside.

Example being yesterday, spent the morning in another nature reserve, and plan to do the same again at another one tomorrow and again next monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'm hoping the end of November is clear in case Comet ISON is all some are making it out to be.

PS: would like a stormy October though.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i hope we get a stormy autumn folowed by a cold winter with plenty of the white stuf for those of us who enjoy it.

Posted

Yep - practically all gone,now. Was a real abundance of flowers this year so hopefully the berries will follow. Got loads of bramble in the jungle at the bottom of the garden too so may add a few blackberries to a gallon but unadulterated,well-made and matured elderberry wine is truly something to behold and in my honest opinion knocks fancy, expensive French stuff into a cocked hat. I guess the wine snobs would beg to differ!

Years ago when I was winning prizes in the Manchester area I used a mix of elderberries, plums, the deep red variety, and one banana, seemd to work very well, tasted superb as well?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

There is an article in today's Times by one of the those weather forecasters who uses nature to make predictions. His name is David King and he is going for a very cold October.

Yeah!  Come on October 2013 put October 1740 to shame.Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Yeah! Come on October 2013 put October 1740 to shame.Posted Image Posted Image

I know I said I would like a stormy October but if someone offered an October 1740 repeat to me then I would take that over the gales. I wonder if those conditions are even possible without a volcanic eruption, considering the October 1740 CET value was a massive 1.1C colder than October 1817 (2nd coldest October). I'm no expert so wouldn't be able to answer this question myself, but I'm sure someone on here could. What kind of synoptics would be needed to even get an October in the 6's?

Posted

I know I said I would like a stormy October but if someone offered an October 1740 repeat to me then I would take that over the gales. I wonder if those conditions are even possible without a volcanic eruption, considering the October 1740 CET value was a massive 1.1C colder than October 1817 (2nd coldest October). I'm no expert so wouldn't be able to answer this question myself, but I'm sure someone on here could. What kind of synoptics would be needed to even get an October in the 6's?

You can see for your self on wetterzentrale historic charts and look at October 1896 which had a CET of 6.9
  • Like 2