Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2013: thoughts, prospects and forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

September 2012 here was cool and had above-average precipitation, but October was more or less bang on average rainfall-wise (but still cold).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Never knew you got that much down there, I got about 3 inches, I take it that was the first Saturday in Feb, Dec was mild overall but saw a good few days of falling snow early in the month and an inch and a half on the 18th Dec I think, around 5 am, some of the heaviest in terms of ferocity and size of flakes that I have ever seen, pity it didn't last very long.

Yes, was on the first Saturday and a fair amount of it lasted until the next weekend before melting away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'm not sure I'd regard Autumn 2012 as cold because September produced some real heat around here up to the 10th. Numerous days in the mid 20's. It did then cool off and October was cool but November was near normal in terms of temperatures. It was wet though, the River Chelmer burst its banks in November, putting a large proportion of the surrounding flood plane underwater. September was also wet in the second half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

September 2003 certainly wasn't cold or wet. It went chilly for a few days in the final week but rain was sparse!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Out of interest when was the last very wet cold autumn? with at least two cold wet months.. ? Many recent autumns have seen lengthy dry periods with varying degrees of cold and warmth think October 2009 and 2010 for example or mild wet months such as Nov 09. I think 2003 might be the last autumn to feature 2 colder than normal and wetter than normal months in September and October - but unsure. 2000 saw near average temperatures from memory but was definately the last truly wet autumn throughout. 1994 might fit the bill - I remember Sept and October being thoroughly wet months and chilly to boot. 1993 was a cold one but not particularly wet from memory. 1992 also probably fits the bill. Perhaps its time for a wet cold one?

Surely that was last year. All three below the 81-10 averages, and 2 months also below the 61-90 average, with plenty of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I guess a September 1986,october 1992 and November 1985 is in order!

• Like 1

Posted

Autumn's bursting out in my garden: Lords & Ladies popping up, blackberries, plums just coming good, hazelnuts are huge, grass growth has slowed right down and the holly bushes are dripping with soon to be red berries

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Autumn's bursting out in my garden: Lords & Ladies popping up, blackberries, plums just coming good, hazelnuts are huge, grass growth has slowed right down and the holly bushes are dripping with soon to be red berries

trees have already turned here..which is a bit early even for my location

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Is that Edmonton Cheeky Monkey?

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Is that Edmonton Cheeky Monkey?

no i live in Calgary now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Hope not - cooler can wait till mid October at least - like how warmth waited till ... ermm late June I think!

Hopefully a traditional autumn with a lot of warmth in September to ripen things off, then the wind/rain can get going in mid Oct for its usual 2 month stint.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Autumnal weather to me seems rather "pointless" to me...I'm hoping for a nice Indian Summer stretching to November, before a nice early winter kicks in with a vengeance mid November  Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Autumnal weather to me seems rather "pointless" to me...I'm hoping for a nice Indian Summer stretching to November, before a nice early winter kicks in with a vengeance mid November  Posted Image

Me tooPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

For those interested, the Glosea4 model has updated. Here is the pressure anomalies for late autumn into winter- HP anomaly stretching Scandi-Iceland-S Greenland

Posted Image

That's as good as anyone could hope for if you're wanting a cold, seasonal end to autumn/beginning of winter.

The Sep-Oct-Nov anomaly is below.....

Posted Image

Overall looks to be very supportive of the CFS v2 pressure anomalies as we head into late autumn/early winter.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

For those interested, the Glosea4 model has updated. Here is the pressure anomalies for late autumn into winter- HP anomaly stretching Scandi-Iceland-S Greenland

Posted Image

That's as good as anyone could hope for if you're wanting a cold, seasonal end to autumn/beginning of winter.

The Sep-Oct-Nov anomaly is below.....

Posted Image

Overall looks to be very supportive of the CFS v2 pressure anomalies as we head into late autumn/early winter.

Jolly good one that, I have to say that there hasn't been as strong a showing of blocking as that on any met long range model update in the run up to the last few winters, from what I have noticed that model has a tendency usually just to play it safe and predict an average - slightly milder than average winter

• Like 1

Posted

According to GFS no

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

According to CFS YesPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

On the bias corrected z5 anomalies it has to be said that November is a horror show though.

Posted Image

January a ripper though.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

All fun and games looking at specifics like that this far out of course, but would you rather tap into a November cold pool, or a January one?  I'd happily take a (not even mild, possibly warm if that were to come off) November if it meant synoptics like that came to fruition in deeper winter! Posted Image

Also feb - I think my avatar is prettier than your's! Posted Image

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 1

Posted

Autumnal weather to me seems rather "pointless" to me...I'm hoping for a nice Indian Summer stretching to November, before a nice early winter kicks in with a vengeance mid November :drinks:

Is there any such thing as "autumnal weather"? A gale is a gale, snow is snow, frost is frost whatever time of the year occurs. Yes we associate snow and frost with winter but as we have seen this year, it can occur in spring and during past autumns such as 1993. Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted

You're correct of course, but perhaps being a tad pedantic there; by "autumnal weather" I mean the weather one would normally expect for the majority of autumn.