Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

August 1995 had three main hot spells- the first four days, the 9th-12th and the 16th-22nd.  The first spell had easterly winds, while the second and third had light and variable winds, and consequently the third spell was generally hottest in inland parts of north-east England (with a few maxima above 30C at Durham for instance) but sea breezes continued to make it much cooler within a few miles of the east coast.

The mean daytime maximum temperature for August 1995 was 23.1C at Durham, 20.6C at Sunderland and 19.1C at Tynemouth, highlighting the stark contrasts that the second and third hot spells, in particular, brought once you got within a few miles of the North Sea.

However, sea fog was relatively rare and thus coastal Tynemouth and Sunderland still reported sunshine totals in excess of 260 hours, unlike during, for instance, July 1983, when frequent sea fog from easterly winds resulted in quite a cloudy month at both sites.  At the other extreme, July 2006 had frequent southerly and south-westerly breezes in the second half of the month, which hindered the development of sea breezes and many coastal sites bordering the North Sea had a mean maximum between 23 and 24C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

2006 I'd imagine?

Posted

As someone living in the east, this summer has been far from a disappointment.

Locally, all three summer months have had below average rainfall, with just 47.6mm in July and August combined. The summer as a whole is on 102.6mm which is the driest since 1995. Only 18 days out of 92 have seen >1mm of rainfall.

Sunshine is on 621hrs with all three summer months above average and will most likely finish similar to 2003 which saw 636hrs.

The mean temp is 16.6C, the warmest since 2006, warmer than 1995 and July and August combined have been the warmest since 1995 aswell. Another notable fact is the lowest maximum this August so far of 18.8C, is the highest in 34 years of records here.

The only 'negative' has been the lack of storms and the highest maximum only being 26.9C. However we've had 9 days above 25C (compared to 16 days in total in summers 2007-2012 combined) and very few days since 3rd July have failed to reach 20C.

Its definitely been a very good summer, I think those disappointed with this year from a warm/dry/sunny point of view would never be happy!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

For us easterners it was the lack of high maxima and the cool June that was the spoiler. But you're right it was a very good summer and I guess when you do get good weather there is a tendency to find any little negative point and big that up more than you would in a summer like 2012 when negativity ruled the roost!

I know its been a good one - I've been in shorts approx 50% of my time at work, the bike isn't caked in mud nor are my clothes being wrecked by road muck (unlike last year), peppers/tomatoes have done brilliantly, I've had plenty of bbqs and eaten my dinner outside many times. We've also had the office door propped open almost everyday since July began and sitting in the pub garden after work hasn't resulted in freezing to death after a couple of hours.

So yes it gets very good marks from me with only the coolness/cloud of June letting it down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Its definitely been a very good summer, I think those disappointed with this year from a warm/dry/sunny point of view would never be happy!

You are only speaking for your back yard. This summer will end up DULLER than average here. I am disappointed because it could have been so much better. Virtually everywhere else had more sun than we did. I feel like I have missed out.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Locally, all three summer months have had below average rainfall, with just 47.6mm in July and August combined. The summer as a whole is on 102.6mm which is the driest since 1995. Only 18 days out of 92 have seen >1mm of rainfall.

Sunshine is on 621hrs with all three summer months above average and will most likely finish similar to 2003 which saw 636hrs.

The mean temp is 16.6C, the warmest since 2006, warmer than 1995 and July and August combined have been the warmest since 1995 aswell. Another notable fact is the lowest maximum this August so far of 18.8C, is the highest in 34 years of records here.

The only 'negative' has been the lack of storms and the highest maximum only being 26.9C. However we've had 9 days above 25C (compared to 16 days in total in summers 2007-2012 combined) and very few days since 3rd July have failed to reach 20C.

as cheese has posted, there appears to be a great variability over the country (imby), and imho its this that has made 2013 not the great summer. 06 for eg, theres no argument, just about everybody had the same.

i WOULD be happy if we had the sunshine levels others enjoyed, 4 days in the heatwave were runined by cloud, one weekend was dull cool and cloudy, its things like that that really spoilt it for me. without those spoilt days july would have been very close to matching 06, if not exceeding it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it's pretty rare for even the 'best' summers from a heat/sun/dryness perspective to avoid problems at a regional/local level.  For example, according to the Met Office's sunshine and rainfall series going back to 1910, June 1976 was fairly cloudy over much of Scotland with close to average rainfall, August 1989 was cloudy and wet in many parts of Scotland, and June 1995, while dry, was cool and cloudy in many parts of eastern England.  Overall, those were generally the UK's three sunniest summers on record.

In the less exceptional summers it is not that unusual for sunshine totals to come out below average locally despite a national excess- 1994 and 2003 for instance had slight shortages in some western areas and this summer may well manage it at Church Fenton.  It's tough on those who end up in the cloudier areas, but doesn't change the fact that for most of us this has been a markedly different summer to what we've been used to recently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Been a crackin' Summer here most especially July, really enjoyed soaking up the sun Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I just find it hard that this summer is being compared to 1989,1995,2006 etc,maybe others including yourself has had far better weather than here but this summer cannot be mentioned in the same sentence as some of our best ones.Sure july can be it was fantastic but take those 3 weeks of july away and apart from the fact that it has been very dry overall there have been no periods of very warm sunny days in a row other than july,not 3 entirely sunny days in a row in 9 weeks !

• Like 1

I just find it hard that this summer is being compared to 1989,1995,2006 etc,maybe others including yourself has had far better weather than here but this summer cannot be mentioned in the same sentence as some of our best ones.Sure july can be it was fantastic but take those 3 weeks of july away and apart from the fact that it has been very dry overall there have been no periods of very warm sunny days in a row other than july,not 3 entirely sunny days in a row in 9 weeks !

Here the first 10 days of June saw wall to wall sunshine.

August has not seen the same lenght of sunny spell, but therre have been some good weeks of sunny days/days with decent sunny spells.

Overall a good summer, well above average but not quite reaching classic summer status, would take this every year though.

Edited by J10

Posted

Similar assessment here to J10's I think if you like warm dry weather.

July was very good for that, very sunny and mean maxima of 23.8°C, 2.5 - 3°C above the local average. 14 days with a maximum over 25°C (could have been 16 if not for surprisingly cool SE breeze on the 11th and 12th)

August has had a mean max of 22.1°C (assume 22.0°C after tomorrow) so about 1°C above average. I'm not completely sure of sunshine figures but hasn't seemed bad with a reasonable amount of sun recently, much of today was better than forecast on that front again with a max of 23.7°C.

June was slightly cooler than average, but had a pretty sunny first 10 days or so although I wasn't at home then. Overall sun around average or a tad above.

All 3 months have been drier than normal, June 23.8mm, July 28.4mm and August 33mm. Personally I'd also have liked a bit more variety/different weather such as showery convective days and thunderstorms or a decent fall of rain to water things (none over 8mm since May), but if you like warm dry and sunny weather you can't really complain in this location at least.

just thought of this, if we had below average maxima by the same magnitude, I imagine there'd be rather a lot of moaning to say the least.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

This summer, averaged nationally, has been a "one-hit wonder" for sunshine amounts with an exceptional July but close to average totals in June and August, and this is part of the reason why I don't see it being ranked up there with 1976/1989/1995 in years to come.  In those three summers, many parts of the country managed two or even three out of three.

2006 probably ranks about level with this summer sunshine-wise becasue although June and July were generally sunnier than their 2013 counterparts, as Millhouse mentioned this was offset by a long cool, grey spell during August, whereas August this year has merely been close to average in most parts of the country. 

I've seen some mention 1959, for although the summer quarter wasn't quite as exceptional as the most famous ones, the theme of generally warm/hot, dry and sunny weather continued from May until well into October.

However if June and August are average, and July is exceptional, that certainly doesn't make an average summer.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted

We've done well this summer in SW Wales and I wouldn't be surprised if the statistics show that in our part of the country we've actually had a sunnier summer than 2006.  As well as the great July, we also had a very good June with sunny conditions while many other parts of the UK had cool and cloudy weather, so we've managed 2 out of 3 here.  August has been average, and we've had over 180mm of rain here compared to 68mm in June and 64mm in July, but over 100mm of this fell in two days on 4th and 5th and for the rest of the month we've had fairly dry conditions with some sunny spells albeit not as good as the rest of the summer.

I'd say August has been better than any summer month we've had since 2011, while both June and July have been better than any summer months we've experienced since 2006 (along with June 2010 which was a 'one-hit wonder' month).

Edited by virtualsphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Many are forgetting that, despite the noticeably lower sunlight hours, September is usually just as warm as June. In Durham, September was warmer than June in 4 of the last 10 years. It mightn't feel like it when the sun sets before 8 and rises after 6.

Meterologically though, I'd imagine that this was the warmest since 2005, or perhaps 2003.

June was provisionally 13.4c, so to beat 2006 in terms of temperature, July and August need to come in at least 16.6c.

I think July was roughly 18c, and August 7-30 is provisionally at 15.9c, with the 1st week warmer, it's likely to have been close to 16.2c to 16.5c so far. 2003 was very similar, so it's touch and go to see whether 2013 has been the warmest summer of the millenium so far, due to that very warm July and the average June and August weather.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Many are forgetting that, despite the noticeably lower sunlight hours, September is usually just as warm as June. In Durham, September was warmer than June in 4 of the last 10 years. It mightn't feel like it when the sun sets before 8 and rises after 6.

Meterologically though, I'd imagine that this was the warmest since 2005, or perhaps 2003.

June was provisionally 13.4c, so to beat 2006 in terms of temperature, July and August need to come in at least 16.6c.

I think July was roughly 18c, and August 7-30 is provisionally at 15.9c, with the 1st week warmer, it's likely to have been close to 16.2c to 16.5c so far. 2003 was very similar, so it's touch and go to see whether 2013 has been the warmest summer of the millenium so far, due to that very warm July and the average June and August weather.

Have i missed something. (13.4+18.3+17)/3=16.2    (15.9+19.7+16.1)/3=17.2

There's no question that 2006 was warmer and 2003 was warmer than 2006. Infact 2013 is tied with 2005 on 16.2 for third in the past 16 years,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Assuming August finishes on 16.8c.

Posted Image

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

If anything I would say August this summer has favoured the east given how much westerly winds have dominated. Not that it's been a bad month here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Here's a list of stations by total sunshine hours so far this month (including Ireland):

St. Helier 291.0 Posted Image

Herstmonceux 211.4

Manston 196.2

St. Athan 194.2

Wattisham191.1
Bournemouth Airport 187.7
Heathrow Airport 179.7

Odiham 178.9

Charlwood 176.8
Leconfield 169.6
Waddington 167.0

Camborne 162.1

Nottingham 156.6
Church Fenton 155.5
Valley 155.3

Ronaldsway 153.2
Leeming 150.6
Yeovilton 150.3*

Boulmer 146.5
Hawarden 140.4

Aberporth 140.0
Filton Airport 137.1

Lyneham 134.5
Aberdeen 127.0

Cork Airport 124.0
Rostherne 123.8

Casement Aerodrome 120.1

Dublin Airport 119.9 (dullest European capital?)

Tiree 116.6

Leuchars 115.7
Shawbury 114.7
Glasgow Bishopton 111.1

Prestwick 110.0

Kirkwall 107.8

Connaught Airport 105.0
Aviemore 100.2
Edinburgh Gogarbank 99.8
Aldegrove Airport 98.8

Shannon Airport 97.8

Stornoway 96.3

Bala 93.4

Lerwick 91.2

*two days missing

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Here the first 10 days of June saw wall to wall sunshine.

August has not seen the same lenght of sunny spell, but therre have been some good weeks of sunny days/days with decent sunny spells.

Overall a good summer, well above average but not quite reaching classic summer status, would take this every year though.

early june failed here though, dominated by northeasterlies we had to wait for north sea stratus to burn off before we got our sun, and that was pleasant, but we failed to get anywhere near 25c which for sun in june is remarkable.

This summer, averaged nationally, has been a "one-hit wonder" for sunshine amounts with an exceptional July but close to average totals in June and August, and this is part of the reason why I don't see it being ranked up there with 1976/1989/1995 in years to come.  In those three summers, many parts of the country managed two or even three out of three.

2006 probably ranks about level with this summer sunshine-wise becasue although June and July were generally sunnier than their 2013 counterparts, as Millhouse mentioned this was offset by a long cool, grey spell during August, whereas August this year has merely been close to average in most parts of the country. 

I've seen some mention 1959, for although the summer quarter wasn't quite as exceptional as the most famous ones, the theme of generally warm/hot, dry and sunny weather continued from May until well into October.

However if June and August are average, and July is exceptional, that certainly doesn't make an average summer.

i cant see it being ranked that high... up with 76/89/95, not for all anyway... like ive already posted, what has let this summer down is its inconsistency. theres been alot of nice weather about but not for all all of the time as truely great summers did. ok all great summers had blips, but no one argues against 76, 83 (after june), 95, being great, when they delivered, they delivered for all.

personally id put 2013 under 06, but more like 96, 84, 91, 'good' summers but not 'great'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

As a whole, this summer has been fantastic with just a few blips along the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Not been completely warm and settled top to bottom but you have to put this Summer right up there with some of the best; on par with 2006 maybe. 

Sunshine stats From Weather Online and Reading Uni site

June Jul Aug Tot Rnk MD  Ave RnkValley (10 m)         226 314 157 697   1  1 7.83   1IoM / Ronaldsway AP   231 298 154 683   2  0 7.59   2Herstmonceux (52 m)   183 267 215 665   3  0 7.39   5Bournemouth (10 m)    189 268 191 648   4  4 7.53   4Aberporth (134 m)     216 284 143 643   5  1 7.22   6Odiham (118 m)        168 277 187 632   6  0 7.02   8Camborne (88 m)       187 277 162 626   7  0 6.96   9Filton (59 m)         202 290 134 626   7  2 7.11   7Wattisham (89 m)      168 253 200 621   9  0 6.90  10Manston (50 m)        156 255 204 615  10  0 6.83  11London Heathrow AP    156 268 186 610  11  0 6.78  12St Athan (49 m)       106 308 193 607  12 10 7.59   3Yeovilton (20 m)      171 265 144 580  13  2 6.59  13Boulmer (27 m)        200 212 156 568  14  0 6.31  14Waddington (68 m)     157 232 174 563  15  0 6.26  15Nottingham/Watnall    155 234 159 548  16  0 6.09  17Wittering (73 m)      156 230 159 545  17  2 6.19  16Church Fenton (8 m)   155 223 160 538  18  0 5.98  18Shawbury (72 m)       161 258 116 535  19  0 5.94  19Leeming (32 m)        165 207 155 527  20  0 5.86  20Prestwick (27 m)      175 228 111 514  21  0 5.71  21Glasgow Bishopton     174 223 114 511  22  0 5.68  22Kinloss (5 m)         160 219 112 491  23  2 5.58  23Tiree Island (12 m)   191 181 118 490  24  0 5.44  24Edinburgh Gogarbank   151 209 101 461  25  0 5.12  25Leuchars (10 m)       152 185 122 459  26  0 5.10  26Aviemore (228 m)      134 217 103 454  27  0 5.04  27Aberdeen/Dyce (69 m)  139 177 131 447  28  0 4.97  29Belfast/Aldergrove AP 103 236 095 434  29  3 4.99  28Stornoway (15 m)      134 184 098 416  30  0 4.62  30	Eskdalemuir (242 m)   126 184 068 378  31  0 4.20  31 Kirkwall AP (21 m)    099 144 111 354  32  0 3.93  32Lerwick (84 m)        111 092 091 294  33  3 3.38  33

These figures are up to and including 30th August.

Overall this summer, western areas have done better for sunshine, however this has switched around in August to Eastern areas.

If we take the last couple of days as an example, High pressure did not make it as far north as expected, so we found ourselves with  Westerly / South Westerly winds on the northern flank of High Presure rather than Easterly winds on the southern flank of High Presure, so what would have been the best weather in the west turned out better in the east.

Edited by J10