Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 29th March 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

UKMO 0z precipitation charts suggest a right old washout Friday PM into Saturday.

And jolly cold too: 13C max, brrr!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Not been a bad day today.

Obviously not the heat of the SE but I expected less sun, more cloud and even a bit of rain but so far so good although once the rain does finally set in it's looking like a couple of wet days to come.

Will be a bit of a shock to the system after the mainly dry weather of recent weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Am tempted to put the heating on but its too early lol

Posted

Very wet and windy but not as windy as i thought

Just on here talking to myself...rain just got really heavy.

Posted

We had a bit of wind but not much to comment on. Raining on and off too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Decent clearance came through about an hour or so back with some blue sky about although that has largely filled back in again.

At least it's dry now though after a very wet few hours this afternoon.

Still breezy and 10.9c.

It's nice to see a bit of a pulse back in the regional thread; hopefully it will make a full recovery as winter approaches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

A thoroughly miserable day here, can't wait for the high pressure at the end of this coming week.

• Like 1

Posted

The suns out here now.

It always amazes me how many times a miserable Sunday brightens up at about tea time, just when it too late do do anything with it.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes brightened up here too not much to shout about regarding the wind.

oh well i will wait for the next storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Worth noting parts of Merseyside, Greater Manchester and N Cheshire will experience some heavy showers overnight and into tomorrow as winds swing WNWly. Could be hail and thunder within these. This is as a result of a cool, unstable airmass (uppers around -1) interacting with surface temps of the Irish Sea which have reached their yearly maximum.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

The suns out here now.

It always amazes me how many times a miserable Sunday brightens up at about tea time, just when it too late do do anything with it.

Yes true that, clear skies here now Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Worth noting parts of Merseyside, Greater Manchester and N Cheshire will experience some heavy showers overnight and into tomorrow as winds swing WNWly. Could be hail and thunder within these. This is as a result of a cool, unstable airmass (uppers around -1) interacting with surface temps of the Irish Sea which have reached their yearly maximum.

If only we could reach such a difference in mid winter, ala  2010 but this time with more of a sustained WNWerly, with hopefully a massive - lifted index and plenty of CAPE.

Posted

If only we could reach such a difference in mid winter, ala  2010 but this time with more of a sustained WNWerly, with hopefully a massive - lifted index and plenty of CAPE.

WNW'ly will do for you but I need a straight NW'ly

Posted

Yes, you must have got belted on 17/12/10 because it was before it veered, it turned in my favour and we got a very quick nearly 3 inches then it all just fired past and that was it, your point is exactly why i still prefer Easterlies, either undercuts or lond straight convective feeds or the daddy of them all - fronts crossing east to west, problem with NWerlies here is there is so little room for error, everyone thinks of big mountain range to the east but there is the forest of Rossendale and the West Pennine moors to the NW plus we are very far inland.

Posted

Yes, you must have got belted on 17/12/10 because it was before it veered, it turned in my favour and we got a very quick nearly 3 inches then it all just fired past and that was it, your point is exactly why i still prefer Easterlies, either undercuts or lond straight convective feeds or the daddy of them all - fronts crossing east to west, problem with NWerlies here is there is so little room for error, everyone thinks of big mountain range to the east but there is the forest of Rossendale and the West Pennine moors to the NW plus we are very far inland.

Nope not much at all on the 17th. Our fall came a few days later as a band of snow pushed W-E across Wales, Midlands and Cheshire. Manchester missed out on that one I think as it slipped just south. Had a solid covering out of it here.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

It wet and wild here in Liverpool !!!

Posted

WNW perfect for meStraight northerly in winter and we become the sun capital of the UK and nothing is more frustrating than cold sun in winter.Just shows the local variations even in a small region of a small country.
  • Like 1

Posted

Nope not much at all on the 17th. Our fall came a few days later as a band of snow pushed W-E across Wales, Midlands and Cheshire. Manchester missed out on that one I think as it slipped just south. Had a solid covering out of it here.

ferk me!!!!!   the band that we got a mini pasting with then veered North as the wind slipped almost SWerly from what i remember, everyone on this regional was telling me to be patient, loads had a nearly a foot, places like Liverpool, Runcorn, Blackpool and Preston, and we got started late on- 10pm ish on the night, then suddenly West Yorkshire turned amber on the old Met office warnings and i really thought we might get a constant stream all night but then that was it- nothing else, still memorable in terms of the whole month and not bad but no where near what others got, i remember on that morning before, people were really upset and i have to admit, i woudnt have even looked out of the window if it were not for this forum.

Posted

We just missed out on the snow but more significantly it prevented what could have turned out to be an exceptionally cold night. It was -13C here at about 7pm! Then the cloud came over. I wonder what would have happened if it had stayed clear. I reckon it would have got down to -20C Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

ferk me!!!!!   the band that we got a mini pasting with then veered North as the wind slipped almost SWerly from what i remember, everyone on this regional was telling me to be patient, loads had a nearly a foot, places like Liverpool, Runcorn, Blackpool and Preston, and we got started late on- 10pm ish on the night, then suddenly West Yorkshire turned amber on the old Met office warnings and i really thought we might get a constant stream all night but then that was it- nothing else, still memorable in terms of the whole month and not bad but no where near what others got, i remember on that morning before, people were really upset and i have to admit, i woudnt have even looked out of the window if it were not for this forum.

Winds really do have to be NW'ly for here to benefit. If they're WNW'ly the places you mentioned get plastered. Both in '09/'10 and '10/'11 we suffered from this. Places like Runcorn, Stockport, Wigan, Greater Manchester got close to a foot whilst here we got 5cm MAX. I've noticed lows nowadays seem to create a WNW'ly rather than a true NW'ly. Not seen a true polar NW'ly in years.

We just missed out on the snow but more significantly it prevented what could have turned out to be an exceptionally cold night. It was -13C here at about 7pm! Then the cloud came over. I wonder what would have happened if it had stayed clear. I reckon it would have got down to -20C

Yep I bet the cut off for the precipitation wasn't that far south of you either!

• Like 1

Posted

We just missed out on the snow but more significantly it prevented what could have turned out to be an exceptionally cold night. It was -13C here at about 7pm! Then the cloud came over. I wonder what would have happened if it had stayed clear. I reckon it would have got down to -20C

Can't remember much in the way of snow for us from this.It must have been cold and we had snow cover throughout December 2010 but I think we were to far north to get anything from that event.

Posted

We got -15c on the BBC that winter but someone assures me that the temperature got below -20c, he or someone else actually had -20c on the thermometer, and that ties in with the fact that on about 5 or more days, the current conditions showed -15c on the BBC site at 10pm and it carried on clear all night, i actually wonder whether either the stations aren't built for such cold conditions or the computers just hit a wall and stay at -15c when its hit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Wed 22 Dec? was a good day here, got a lot of snow,

Posted

After the shocking Dec 2010 who would of thought the following Winter months would give us some fantastic mild weather to enjoy, in fact February was like a pre 2008 Winter month Posted Image