IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Good, i found the moaning thread Posted Image

The storm is over

Sad to hear that two people lost their lives

The media hype these past four days, absolutely ridicoulous !!

I know it had the potential to be a very very severe storm, but in the end, a normal autumn gale, developing as it moved across the South

Certainly nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year.

I hope we don't have to go through this level of over-hype, everytime a low is set to come across the Uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Good, i found the moaning thread Posted Image

The storm is over

Sad to hear that two people lost their lives

The media hype these past four days, absolutely ridicoulous !!

I know it had the potential to be a very very severe storm, but in the end, a normal autumn gale, developing as it moved across the South

Certainly nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year.

I hope we don't have to go through this level of over-hype, everytime a low is set to come across the Uk

First id like to say sorry to the familys of people that lost there lives makes the storms very insignificant my moan is we was in amber warning on meto and had no strong winds at all heavy rain yes im just worried that next time an amber warning for wind is issued were gna think nah it wont happen which is very dangerous cause it could be ignored Edited by Skeggy weather

Posted

I'm very tempted to phone BBC Five Live after what i just heard (10:36pm)

He said last night's storm "the worst to hit the Uk in years"

Absolute scatter cushion... just 12 months ago, a vicious storm swept across Scotland, with winds higher than last night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Gaz1985, October 28, 2013 - wrong post
Hidden by Gaz1985, October 28, 2013 - wrong post

Absolute scatter cushion... just 12 months ago, a vicious storm swept across Scotland, with winds higher than last night

I agree and whilst this graph below doesn't show the 99mph gust on the Isle of Wight overall there were more locations this morning that averaged gust windspeeds of 50 and 59mph than anything else.

Now 50+mph isn't terrible on the grand scheme of things, we get these speeds every year somewhere in the UK.

50 mph+ is strong yes but not complete devastation like October 1987 when winds were widely 90-100mph even well inland.

We do live in a time of hyped up news and the majority of the country unfortunately fall for the OTT news and believe everything they hear and see.

What the news didn't tell you was the worst of the winds was on the coast and not inland....... but they never actually used words like that - they are clever to make the public think it was terrible a long way inland too. The fact of that matter is this was not an October 1987 style event, far from it. In fact some news say "this was the worst storm to hit UK in years" 

That headline is wrong too, isn't Scotland the UK? they've had worse storms over the past few years.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1382999400&KEY=ukuk&LAND=ukuk&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=1

Edited by Gaz1985
Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Gaz1985, October 28, 2013 - wrong post
Hidden by Gaz1985, October 28, 2013 - wrong post

I agree and whilst this graph below doesn't show the 99mph gust on the Isle of Wight overall there were more locations this morning that averaged gust windspeeds of 50 and 59mph than anything else.

Now 50+mph isn't terrible on the grand scheme of things, we get these speeds every year somewhere in the UK.

50 mph+ is strong yes but not complete devastation like October 1987 when winds were widely 90-100mph even well inland.

We do live in a time of hyped up news and the majority of the country unfortunately fall for the OTT news and believe everything they hear and see. About 10% of UK was most effected this morning and that was it.

What the news didn't tell you was the worst of the winds was on the coast and not inland....... but they never actually used words like that - they are clever to make the public think it was terrible a long way inland too. The fact of that matter is this was not an October 1987 style event, far from it. In fact some news say "this was the worst storm to hit UK in years" 

That headline is wrong too, isn't Scotland the UK? they've had worse storms over the past few years.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1382999400&KEY=ukuk&LAND=ukuk&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=1

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1
Posted

We do live in a time of hyped up news and the majority of the country unfortunately fall for the OTT news and believe everything they hear and see. About 10% of UK was most effected this morning and that was it.

http://www.weatheron...=mph&CEL=C&UD=1

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I agree and whilst this graph below doesn't show the 99mph gust on the Isle of Wight overall there were more locations this morning that averaged gust windspeeds of 50 and 59mph than anything else. Now 50+mph isn't terrible on the grand scheme of things, we get these speeds every year somewhere in the UK.50 mph+ is strong yes but not complete devastation like October 1987 when winds were widely 90-100mph even well inland.We do live in a time of hyped up news and the majority of the country unfortunately fall for the OTT news and believe everything they hear and see. About 10% of UK was most effected this morning and that was it. What the news didn't tell you was the worst of the winds was on the coast and not inland....... but they never actually used words like that - they are clever to make the public think it was terrible a long way inland too. The fact of that matter is this was not an October 1987 style event, far from it. In fact some news say "this was the worst storm to hit UK in years" That headline is wrong too, isn't Scotland the UK? they've had worse storms over the past few years. http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1382999400&KEY=ukuk&LAND=ukuk&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=1

Turned on the radio this morning to hear of 105mph winds. It then emerged this was a single gust recorded somewhere way out at sea. We had a severe gale today. Compare with the storm of 1953 which killed hundreds. Perhaps the greatest natural disaster in the history of the UK, but practically no-one outside of East Anglia has heard of it. Strange days indeed.
  • Like 1

Posted

Turned on the radio this morning to hear of 105mph winds. It then emerged this was a single gust recorded somewhere way out at sea. We had a severe gale today. Compare with the storm of 1953 which killed hundreds. Perhaps the greatest natural disaster in the history of the UK, but practically no-one outside of East Anglia has heard of it. Strange days indeed.

I agree, we probably might get hounded on here by some for what we've just said but who cares. We're not the only ones to have seen through all this thank fully.

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The anomaly charts keep the unsettled/disturbed weather pattern throughout the next 15 days or so.

BANK :- )

Posted

BANK :- )

have  we  got  to start  to worry about this weekend storm yet!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

have  we  got  to start  to worry about this weekend storm yet!!!

I just want it to stay unsettled and turn colder :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

as long as london's not in the firing line then i'm sure we won't get the over hiped coverage. For yesterday's hipe i do think the met office was partly to blame too. I mean putting amber warnings for the likes of the midlands wich i don't think was needed. Most areas of the midlands wasn't windy only the heavy rain. How ever it's sad for those who lost their lives, its a harsh times for those families.

Posted

as long as london's not in the firing line then i'm sure we won't get the over hiped coverage. For yesterday's hipe i do think the met office was partly to blame too. I mean putting amber warnings for the likes of the midlands wich i don't think was needed. Most areas of the midlands wasn't windy only the heavy rain. How ever it's sad for those who lost their lives, its a harsh times for those families.

i'm always unsure why this causes so much angst. The southeast is very densely populated (some would say over-populated), something like 33% of the UK's population live there. Impacts have the potential to be more severe.

I don't know why there's an issue? Any sort of southeast bias would be justified in my opinion.

This current weather and what is progged for the first half of November is utter, utter, unspeakable, typical, slightly milder than average toilet.

People were vibrating with excitement at finding ice on their cars this morning. I think that says it all, really.

Edited by Pharaoh Clutchstraw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I just want it to stay unsettled and turn colder :-)

I want it to be settled and then turn colder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

At least the immediate forecast looks average or even slightly below average for early November. I see a low of 3C forecast by the Met, which is nothing to get excited about, but it's usually lower than forecast, especially in this rural location.

This month will go down as one of the most boring, tedious and thoroughly uninteresting months I have ever experienced. Just awful. Almost as bad as February 2011. So much cloud, no gales, no storms - just unrelenting crap. A world away from last year's sunnier than average and colder than average conditions, which resulted in stunning foliage (unlike this year's bland display). Cloudy and mild is the worst.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

last october seemed more blocked, and lead to a snowless Nov and Dec for my location, this year much different, raging lows, so surely it sets up better hopes for Dec snow and cold, get the zonal crap out the way now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

last october seemed more blocked, and lead to a snowless Nov and Dec for my location, this year much different, raging lows, so surely it sets up better hopes for Dec snow and cold, get the zonal crap out the way now

I guess. Some places did get snow in Nov and Dec - places like Bath got snow around this time last year(4th/5th Nov?), and many places got a few cm in late October, and further snow in December. Nothing here mind you - just unlucky, as we  got precipitation, but it never coincided with cold enough temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nightmare output tonight from my perspective. Seeing those yellows over the UK on the 850hPa charts is making me feel ill.

Fear not colder conditions will arrive soon enough. Be it with foggy and frosty starts with settled conditions or perhaps something more wintry falling from the sky :) I do feel your annoyance though about time we drag in some cooler air which will last for a few days at least, bar Wednesday morning been a rather cool spell of weather certainly not cold nor mild like weeks ago.
  • Like 1

Posted

Enjoying the seasonal weather here. Perfect autumnal weather, exactly what the weather script for the time of year says we should be experiencing (-:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Nice to have some proper Autumn weather at last. We have swapped the very mild air of the last few weeks originating from the tropical/sub tropical Atlantic for much colder air from the North Atlantic.

This week here anyway looks like being the coldest of the season so far ,a more traditional Autumn feel to the weather atm. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Record high temperature for today is 20.6C set in 1946 (Aber, Gwynedd) and we all know what happened a few months later .. one of the snowiest winters in UK history!

The trees on my street are all still green with the wind blowing them off without them ever changing colour. I guess that's what happens if you don't get a frost!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Was nice to get autumnal weather finally went for a walk to beach today had to wrap up as the wind was pretty chilly few chilly days ahead this week countryfile had us no higher than 10c :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Record high temperature for today is 20.6C set in 1946 (Aber, Gwynedd) and we all know what happened a few months later .. one of the snowiest winters in UK history!The trees on my street are all still green with the wind blowing them off without them ever changing colour. I guess that's what happens if you don't get a frost!

Length of day determines leaf fall and it varies with species. In my neighbour's garden there is one tree that has lost all its leaves and another which has only just begun to turn. Temperature, frost and sunlight determine the intensity of colours.
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm starting to hate this rain

I do some laundry, i need my window open, to help my laundry to dry

I wait for this bloody rain band to go through.. thinking it will be dry at least for a while afterwards

I check outside, it's bloody raining again !!

and coming in my window. Argh !!!