Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring Model Discussion 18Z 6/3/13 onwards....

Posted

Thames streamer and a half..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130306/18/96/ukprec.png

Wouldn't think much of my chances of getting to work on Monday morning in some eastern and south eastern parts.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

Met office seem to go with the ukmo raw output on the latest 120 hrs fax.huh.png

fax 120 hrs.. ukmo 120 hrs..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Just as chio starts the spring thread, I would have to say that the current model output is simply amazing if you are a coldie, by far the best of the winter and trust me, it does not get much better than the charts currently at +96 and +120, even in peak winter let alone March!! It is a pretty rare event we have here folks. Widespread -10 clearing the whole of the UK and Ireland with -12c for many. For many in Eastern areas, it could be brutally cold Monday with sub zero maxima possible under frequent snow showers. Anyway, that aside, GFS 18z brings in cold sooner again, Sunday according to that. I wonder if I will see some proper snow finally here this winter? Have only managed 3 hours of slush so any snow from this spell would be a good way to end winter for me as its been a poor winter here. I was not really hoping for cold now with spring upon us and some spring sunshine would be lovely but you can not resist the cold and snow when the synoptics are this good!

Ps. One thing i would like to know Ian if your around is why aren't the UKMO modifying the fax when there outlook goes against there raw model?

Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

http://modeles.meteo...fs-0-102.png?18

Chart of the winter / Spring for me & for most of England!

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rmgfs1082.gif -13/-14c uppers, perfect flow allignment, -5c dewpoints, 20c gradient & sub 528 heights.

Perfect for heavy convective snowfall across england.

S

Spring Ice days are rare beasts indeed due to the strength of the sun, but next Monday we could just see one widespread.

Posted

Met office seem to go with the ukmo raw output on the latest 120 hrs fax.huh.png

Yes, that supports the UKMO run, and would only see PPN in the far South.

Posted

looks perfectly okay to me. What should it show in your view?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Thames streamer and a half..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130306/18/96/ukprec.png

Wouldn't think much of my chances of getting to work on Monday morning in some eastern and south eastern parts.

The army would be on standby if that chart verifies

Chart of the winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

A bit premature i feel ,not the first time they have done this only to change 24hrs later!gfs and ecm going the other way its to ukmo progressive?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

indeed- GFS is trying its hardest

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rmgfs1144.gif

-1c max all the way down to devon....

S

Yup and dropping a bit in the snow showers to!

Stunning output again tonight, Im still TRYING to contain my excitement (the charts for here are near perfection) but given I will wait for the Meto to follow as well given the Feb 09 and Jan 05 collapses, come Friday morning if this is still showing then I think we will enter the most historic March cold spell for a long time!

Posted

ECM/GFS go for a convective easterly - that is not a convective easterly and would bring something more like the last easterly spell last month.

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs1144.gif

S

We shall see! Even rarer considering we're heading for mid-march. However, the models have consistently underestimated temperatures for each cold spell this winter, particularly at night (although all have featured largely cloudy conditions) so I'm largely sceptical of the GFS forecast temps.

Posted

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013030618/gfs-0-102.png?18

Chart of the winter / Spring for me & for most of England!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs1082.gif -13/-14c uppers, perfect flow allignment, -5c dewpoints, 20c gradient & sub 528 heights.

Perfect for heavy convective snowfall across england.

S

Agree Steve, drooling over that one, that would result in over a foot of snow across much of mainland Britain

Truly epic stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

there seems to be a lot of westward correctioning on this run so far

Posted

Agree Steve, drooling over that one, that would result in over a foot of snow across much of mainland Britain

Truly epic stuff

No it would not. Are you Yamkin reinvented ?

It could result in considerably snowfalls across Eastern and Southern England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rmgfs1144.gif

S

quick question Steve, firstly that chart highlights how extreme the current synoptics are for +96 to +120 especially given the time of year. But just wondering would 15z be the "warmest" part of the day now or would the temp at 12z be the max for the day?

I would expect after seeing Ian's post earlier about the MetO thinking and about them dismissing there raw model, together with the MetO 5-16 day that they would modify the fax to look something like the ECM. It has hardly changed from Raw UKMO. Interesting to hear Ian's take on this? Thanks

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

No it would not. Are you Yamkin reinvented ?

It could result in considerably snowfalls across Eastern and Southern England.

The chart mountain shadow posted showed a Thames streamer with the shower train stretching all the way back to Holland/Germany, with the uppers forecast I can see astonishing depths, dare I say it, equalling or even topping Feb 09

Posted

another question for SM, surely the only *heavy* snow would be across the southern half of the UK as the Thames streamer develops...Or would the streamer simply worsen already heavy snow convection for the remaining majority? Just a little confused how other areas (northern England, for example) could get the very heavy snow you mention...

Edited by ITSY

Posted

quick question Steve, firstly that chart highlights how extreme the current synoptics are for +96 to +120 especially given the time of year. But just wondering would 15z be the "warmest" part of the day now or would the temp at 12z be the max for the day?

I would expect after seeing Ian's post earlier about the MetO thinking and about them dismissing there raw model, together with the MetO 5-16 day that they would modify the fax to look something like the ECM. It has hardly changed from Raw UKMO. Interesting to hear Ian's take on this? Thanks

Wasn't dismissed: was modified. Continuity in their GM out to T+84 currently good, they say. However, I haven't seen their thoughts on 12z yet beyond the 2-3d period so can't offer further clarification on current rationale.

Posted

Based on the model output available i would have put the center of the high a bit

further North -West,more towards the ecm mean.

That doesn't say its wrong though!

Posted

The chart mountain shadow posted showed a Thames streamer with the shower train stretching all the way back to Holland/Germany, with the uppers forecast I can see astonishing depths, dare I say it, equalling or even topping Feb 09

"astonishing depths", "the army", "COBRA"... seriously, are you just on one massive ramper-trip? ;)

Seriously, a bit of measure might not be a bad thing! LOL ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

"astonishing depths", "the army", "COBRA"... seriously, are you just on one massive ramper-trip? tease.gif

Seriously, a bit of measure might not be a bad thing! LOL tease.gif

Yes - I think it can be very misleading actually for any newcomers who aren't used to the more...'interesting' ramping posts that go on. I'm not saying its intentional but some realism needs to be injected here.

Exciting times ahead? - Yes its looking likely for many with bitter cold air and also perhaps some snow lovers being satisfied. Maybe certain areas being hit harder than others but I simply couldnt judge until within a day or two when chances of any PPN become clearer.

Lockdown Britain incoming? No...I'll believe it when I see it. Although then again, most of the country seems to lockdown only under 2 inches of the white stuff... blum.gifrolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong - the model runs we are seeing are fantastic for March! As long as it isn't another period of grey skies I'm happy with whatever I get.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

another question for SM, surely the only *heavy* snow would be across the southern half of the UK as the Thames streamer develops...Or would the streamer simply worsen already heavy snow convection for the remaining majority? Just a little confused how other areas (northern England, for example) could get the very heavy snow you mention...

Snow showers likely to feed off the North Sea by convection, thats where I could see the possibility of heavy snow showers for the north.
It seems as though, they are going with the GFS solution of the high sinking, so cold would filter out if the high edges closer to us.. Edited by Panayiotis