Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club (NSC) 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

But looking at a forecast literally 1 hour before a thunderstorm was forecasted to hit and then the rain falling as generally moderate rain with no considerable thunder is a bit rediculous really. If I was annoyed about Wednesday's or Thursday's forecast for today, then you could definately say I'm foolish, but not when I last checked an hour before it was due.

Thunderstorms intensify and decay, they just happened to be decaying by the time they reached you.

• Like 2

Posted

this is the link to the lightning chart from Net Wx for today, not sure if it will open if you are not with Extra?

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=lightningarchive;sess=27ba02bee611ad205d5f0499093ffc35

Obviously there have been days with many more and more widespread strikes, even so not bad for the UK really?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I understand perfectly that weather will do it's thing, no forecast is 100%, that 77% of a storm is just a computer based figure and doesn't mean anything will happen. Which it didn't, according to the strike Map on the other thread, My location and MK in a tiny circle got no lightning today but 30mins down the road was lucky.

Thought this thread was to moan nay complain about lack of storms...? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

All I can  say with absolute certainty is that we will not get a thunderstorm here at all, and I will check back here to verify that on Saturday or Sunday.

I was right - but it was never in doubt. :wink:

I'm not even bothered to be honest. I've gotten past the point of caring, which is why I haven't bothered logging on today to moan (and I have a life.. lol).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

2 proper storms this year 25th Jan, and today 7th June, just missed the latest one mind you missed me to the NW

Posted

Thunderstorms have always been rare things in the morning from say 7.30 to noon here.

This morning`s reasonable storm started around 6.50 to 7.40am a thunderstorm at breakfast is very unusual.

I`m out of here anyway.

Posted

Still in here,,,,of course

seems storms have been flirting with wigan as if to tease, but they dare not come anywere near the shield

yesterday and today they having been passing about 11 to 15 miles to the west,  in a train like fashion from afternnoon to evening,  got to hear 1 rumble and a flash from them yesterday, saw or heard nothing today but saw the dark bases and cauliflower very high tops  

its a joke how they never come here,  well hardley ever, the next thundery spell will likely take them too far EAST of here, you could not make it up

anyway having that beer to drown my sorrows that i bought the other day when I KNEW I would still be in here 

Edited by IanR

Posted

Yeah I'm still here. Perfect BBQ weather. hardly any cloud, a breeze and warm. Oh well. :drunk:

Posted

Still in here,,,,of course

seems storms have been flirting with wigan as if to tease, but they dare not come anywere near the shield

yesterday and today they having been passing about 11 to 15 miles to the west,  in a train like fashion from afternnoon to evening,  got to hear 1 rumble and a flash from them yesterday, saw or heard nothing today but saw the dark bases and cauliflower very high tops  

its a joke how they never come here,  well hardley ever, the next thundery spell will likely take them too far EAST of here, you could not make it up

anyway having that beer to drown my sorrows that i bought the other day when I KNEW I would still be in here 

one flash and bang means you are no longer entitled to be a meber, rules of the game, lightning and thunder with or without precipitation=thunderstorm=official WMO definition!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

*twiddles thumbs*

Posted

one flash and bang means you are no longer entitled to be a meber, rules of the game, lightning and thunder with or without precipitation=thunderstorm=official WMO definition!

NO absolutely not leaving  , there must be only me left anyway,  two very faint distant rumbles, and a one closer rumble the day after with one flash is not a storm, and I was not even at home for that one but a few miles as I was walking into a hospital visting

when I get a couple flashes within a mile I may consider that a storm, but seems unlikely now,  

and if its topography as to why this area is a storm repeller why did we  get a fair share in the 80;s and 90's, almost a dead cert after a hot spell,  not only that we got multiple storms and even backbuilding storms,  My god,   cant imagine anything like that happening thesedays here, sorry its not topography then, must be bad luck

It would be interesting to see a sferics map of this thundery spell just to laugh at the void over this part, and to see the saturation of strikes in many other places

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I don't care what the bloody WMO say - if it isn't overhead, it doesn't count. It counts for whoever is underneath - but not if you're 3 miles away looking at distant flashes. One rumble is hardly worth talking about.

Besides, having one storm a year is still frustrating, and we need a place to vent, especially as France/Germany/Benelux  get hammered with supercells. Moaning on the convection thread  gets the mods and forum hosts in a dizzy.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Interesting post by JH.

We are firmly in the no storm area here, but as so often with the winter snowfall 5/10 miles to the S and E of here there have been thunderstorms over the past 2/3 nights. Last evening there was heavy rainfall, but the centre of the storm and the associated thunder and lightning passed to the west of us.

Bit more hopeful for today, we shall have to wait and see.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I was just having a look back at a handful of precip charts from last Friday to Monday, before I get the SP on not to take them too seriously, I know that.. But some of the totals were ranging from 15 to 30mm or more, it looked spot on for storms here, but it wasn't to be! Only 1.6mm fell in three days- apart from the odd rumble during showers over the last few years, I still haven't had a full-blown storm since 2005. Very disappointing!

Posted

Well I'm glad that those in Wigan have finally been rejuvinated, unfortunately I'm not so lucky.

keep the faith,  manc statistically has more thunder days than wigan,,,your turn will come

Posted

keep the faith,  manc statistically has more thunder days than wigan,,,your turn will come

Lol that has to be one of the most ironic posts of recent times. Unfortunately for some parts, there is nothing on the horizon now to hold out for.

Posted

when I get a couple flashes within a mile I may consider that a storm, but seems unlikely now,  

not just 2  lol,  I lost count today, maybe 70 flashes at least. 15 within a mile 

• Like 1

Posted

Here I am again :nonono:

Posting now because I expect to get an early night. Good luck to all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Thunderstorm just trundled in..couple of flashes and rumbles so far, didn't expect that today!

Edit oops wrong thread!

Edited by windswept

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Still bl**** waiting.

Guildford hit by best storm since 1999 early on Saturday morning - 18 hours before I arrived back from holiday.

I posted back in May about this incessant bad luck of missing events at home when away on holiday - This annoyance and curse never seems to go away.

Back for the summer now - so it's probably back to weeks of boring humid muck without storms here while the usual (Lincolnshire) areas get the 'goods'.

Absolutely livid.

Fed up with people saying, "did you see the storm"?. No I bl**** didn't - nothing severe happens in Guildford when I'm here.

Why can't I have a holiday which;

(a) Is not ruined by poor weather (eg. drizzle, cloud, wind and lack of sunshine). 2013.

(b) Is not ruined by missing some exciting event at home while away, having had to sit through garbage, like that suffered in May where everywhere else gets the storms and Guildford misses out completely. 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014.

© Produces an interesting event at the holiday destination at the time when I am there - not the night before I arrive (2013, 2014) or week later after I depart (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013) etc. Seems most other people have an exciting event when they holiday and they DON'T MISS ANY EVENTS AT HOME WHILE AWAY.

Hopefully the abomination that has cursed me with this endless run of bad luck associated with sods law and never being in the right area at the right time, might get hit by a +ve CG and destroyed. I can then finally witness a decent thunder event where more normal statistical odds operate meaning a greater chance of being in the right area at the right time.

Sorry for the rant but I have had a gut-full of this type of letdown in recent years - lousy thunder-free summers like 2010 and 2011, thundery summers like 2012 and 2013 where local areas missed everything, horrid days like 28th June 2012 seeing the usual eastern areas and much of northern England get USA-mid-west style storms while all Guildford sees is a pathetic puff of wind and the humid filth reduced in the fresher post-cold front air-mass, impressive rainfall events while away on holiday as in 2011, 2012 (and now 2014) where the rest of the summer yielded nothing.

Let's hope 2014 can deliver - for everyone else here it already has - last time I saw anything worthwhile was in 2009 and really back as far as 1999 for anything prolonged (missed the main storms in 2006, the last above average year for thunder days here - as usual).

• Like 2

Posted

here I am again. Not very impressed!  :aggressive: