Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sand Dams

mike Meehan

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I'd never heard of this before but a chap gave a talk on it to us today.

http://www.newscient...ate-change.html

Sounds like a really great idea and apparently it has been round or the past 2000 years, so I can't really understand why it has been in the back ground for so long.

Not only only is relatively clean water conserved for household use and irrigation, it evens out its availability between wet and dry seasons - the planting of trees around these raises the water table and can go on to develop a micro climate.

As far as I see it is win win situation in hotter more arid areas with seasonal rainfall with an added advantage of less open water to give the mozzies encouragement to breed.

Edit: This was further followed by David Attenborough's program on the box this evening when he described a massive undertaking of tree planting across the Salhal from coast to coast in an attempt to stop the encroachment of the Sahara desert.

Some of the people who were nothing more really than local tribes people were making remarkable efforts to preserve their environment - I take my hat off to them and it is heartening to see that such people still exist.

Edited by mike Meehan