Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Not necessarily Snowlover2 - this is RTE or Radio Telefis Eireann ie. Irish TV. rofl.gif I am an Ulsterman by the way (without prejudice). good.gif

Or 'WAVES VERY HIGH'

so following the theme...

I have to share this though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/jan/27/20-human-body-facts-science

Trivia perhaps, but nice trivia. My favourites are 9 and 15.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Evening all! Just back from a long weekend in Stirling where there was a lovely dump on Thursday night and all day Friday. Froze overnight Friday, very slippy on Saturday morning. rain arrived PM, this morning....snow gone! A light shower or two of sleet through Glencoe and Glenshiel today, but mainly rain. Now clearing and wind picking up. Windy week I think!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

To give an idea of how poor the recent cold spell was for the Highlands, when I was traveling home from Glasgow yesterday, there was more snow in Perth (far more) than there was on the mountains around Kingussie!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Wowsers! just had a HUMUNGOUS clap of thunder and the power went off for about 30 seconds! Didn't expect that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme snow rain wind

Wowsers! just had a HUMUNGOUS clap of thunder and the power went off for about 30 seconds! Didn't expect that!

We had that last night .....

Posted

Or 'WAVES VERY HIGH'

http://www.guardian....y-facts-science

Wow, some "curve" on that wave blum.gif Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Wow, some "curve" on that wave blum.gif

One I wouldn't mind riding!

Taxi to the Kessock Bridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Had a very heavy snow shower leaving Fife this morning.....and a wonderful blizzard that turned the road white very quickly at Drumochter this afternoon......but progressively less snow the farther north you get.

Next......the wind. There's always *something* isn't there?

Posted

GFS looking cool to cold pretty well throughout without really settling to anything special. One of those runs that does little other than delay having to do the dishes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Weather fact of the day for Perthians - between 02.30 - 03.30 the temperature rose from +2.6C to +6.3C ie. 3.7C.

Explains why the kids got up during the night for no obvious reason...... Too hot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Weather for the week just been on. After a changeable and windy week colder by Friday with N/NW winds bringing wintry showers. Possible snow on Northern side of the LP going through Thurs / Fri.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Weather for the week just been on. After a changeable and windy week colder by Friday with N/NW winds bringing wintry showers. Possible snow on Northern side of the LP going through Thurs / Fri.

Looks like a similar kind of pattern to early December which was quite a decent wee wintry spell, with three separate snowfalls giving a cm or two to many parts in spite of lacking any real bite.

gfs-0-126.png?12

gfs-0-192.png?12

At some point you feel heights will be able to ridge up to Greenland to bring in a sustained cold spell in the first half of February, up to then I'd regard what we get as a bonus more than anything else.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Did I detect a wee bit TOORPing on the MT ?

I honestly wish I could understand why when the output hasn't changed at all in the last 24 hours broadly speaking - mild midweek then progressively colder with snow chances from the weekend onwards and the possibility of something more sustained building in the 8-14 day range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Or 'WAVES VERY HIGH'

http://www.guardian....y-facts-science

Couldn't help but notice the picture is entitled "Huge Waves". Question is Hairy Celt - to what do the "Waves" refer! unsure.png

Posted

I think we should come to a lowlander-highlander compromise here - northeasterly blast followed by December 2009 style low heights and snow from

all directions.

I'll bank that. Perfect for Inverness and the ski resorts, not to mention very low temps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Not that common to see phenomenal in the shipping forecast, but a few sea areas oot west mention it.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Rockall

post-18389-0-21853100-1359319539_thumb.j

Posted

Couldn't help but notice the picture is entitled "Huge Waves". Question is Hairy Celt - to what do the "Waves" refer! unsure.png

Probably depends on the viewer but could be waves of testosterone; nausea; or water even...!

Phenomenal waves even...

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

To give an idea of how poor the recent cold spell was for the Highlands, when I was traveling home from Glasgow yesterday, there was more snow in Perth (far more) than there was on the mountains around Kingussie!

It has been very localised. Perth to Blairgowerie and then upto Glenshee had recieved a good fall of snow. Bridge of Cally upwards had enough for me to be impressed even by North Pennines old school winter standards.

Lot of drifting on the roadside but the fields still had good cover as well. Just going local it wasnt anything great but seening what lay beyond Perth, winter and snow as it should be.

Posted

what a weird weekend. bonny extra snaw friday, cleared roads as needed Thurs/Fri but then on Saturday Mother Nature decided to throw a curve ball and freeze our last 2 sleet showers of the evening on impact.. hence we woke up to Black/All Ice, (private road = no gritters!) problem that we can't clear manually even if we wanted to (and we did).. so 8 hours later (4pm yesterday) we finally get car out after chipping away, no probs we've cancelled any Saturday plans already! come Sunday after all the work and sore back to boot we get (at last correctly forecast) winds we can get out but somehow missed the pretty snaw sculptures (RIP!!) and still nae fitba, we're now at about week 16 with no football .. severe withdrawal would be going on here if there hadn't have been a tennis match today (pah!) or a few games of Basketball

Posted

It has been very localised. Perth to Blairgowerie and then upto Glenshee had recieved a good fall of snow. Bridge of Cally upwards had enough for me to be impressed even by North Pennines old school winter standards.

Lot of drifting on the roadside but the fields still had good cover as well. Just going local it wasnt anything great but seening what lay beyond Perth, winter and snow as it should be.

I'll be satisfied for a couple of decades when I see old-school Highland standards!

3246677659_d2ee1ffcbb_z.jpg?zz=1

Posted

I'll be satisfied for a couple of decades when I see old-school Highland standards!

3246677659_d2ee1ffcbb_z.jpg?zz=1

How about the French Alps? In lean years, perhaps:

6560546619_7e9f2ea258_o.jpg

And the same place in old-school years:

6648719317_78df877015_o.jpg

These aren't my photos but I'm proud to say I really HAVE seen snow depths like this as I was there for that winter. You forget it's normally something below your feet and eventually it's just something that surrounds you...

Edited by Harve