Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Some snowboarding this morning smile.png

Nice work mate, you need to ask the council for a button lift.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

About 9cm left on the grass, so the warmer weather (5.4C max) has shaved about 3cm off this morning's snow cover- if anything rather less than I expected, showing how much more "staying power" a thick snow cover has than a dusting. Some concrete surfaces and surfaces underneath dripping trees have lost more than that though.

It's a lot wetter and more compact than it was early this morning but, except on some concrete surfaces, a fair way away from the "slushy/icy" stage. I can see tomorrow morning being a mess though!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Had some fun at 3.30am just before going to bed, 4 youths 13-15 walking up the hill past the house threw a snowball at the window, then i heard next door getting hit

so i got my boots on and went out to see them doing every window on their way up. I set off running and 3 of them clocked me and ran but the other was slow off

the mark and struggled accelerating in the snow so with a head start i grabbed hold of his hood and dragged him down like a cheetah taking out a gazelle.

Unfortunately my head was instantly flooded with PC nonsense about child abuse and getting locked up for slapping a minor, so i just pushed his face in the snow whilst laughing

and then stood hands on hips with my foot on his back soaking in the glory of a successful hunt.

I walked back down the hill feeling smug with myself until i was cracked on the back of the head by a snowball which nearly took me off my feet and turned around to see

the youth laughing at me and calling me an effin knob jockey before running off. Cracking shot by the young lad, a late equaliser to clinch a draw. aggressive.gif

EDIT: Must of hit the back of my neck as i have a large patch of light bruising behind my left ear, my own fault for running out in a t shirt.

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Nice satellite image, courtesy of NASA, showing Great Britain largely snow-bound.

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=United_Kingdom_Ireland.2013026.terra.1km.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Its hard to tell how much much snow we had here. As on the fields it was about 1 and half foot deep - too deep for Wellies as it can be kicked over and into them.

But on small clean surfaces (e.g. wall tops) its around about 15 cm's. Its really hard to gauge due to the previous snow fall, the strength of the wind etc has made no real accurate place to say we had this amount of snow. My rough guess is somewhere about 25-30 cm's fell on to to the fields last night. Thankfully its already lost about a third its depth so when the rain hits it all wont be going quickly, but even so this amount of snow melting quickly (basically a foot deep, and bottom is compressed) is going to cause some serious flooding somewhere.

I do know that the storm last night was one of the worst snow storms we have had, just 10 hours of heavy snow; and tbh I cant imagine a realistic situation which could deliver us more in such a short span of time. Really a memorable event.

Posted

Its hard to tell how much much snow we had here. As on the fields it was about 1 and half foot deep - too deep for Wellies as it can be kicked over and into them.

But on small clean surfaces (e.g. wall tops) its around about 15 cm's. Its really hard to gauge due to the previous snow fall, the strength of the wind etc has made no real accurate place to say we had this amount of snow. My rough guess is somewhere about 25-30 cm's fell on to to the fields last night. Thankfully its already lost about a third its depth so when the rain hits it all wont be going quickly, but even so this amount of snow melting quickly (basically a foot deep, and bottom is compressed) is going to cause some serious flooding somewhere.

I do know that the storm last night was one of the worst snow storms we have had, just 10 hours of heavy snow; and tbh I cant imagine a realistic situation which could deliver us more in such a short span of time. Really a memorable event.

The snow storm you refer to must have been great, just wish we could have joined the party.

Posted

Its the same here, every surface has a differing amount of snow so its impossible to accurately gauge a true measure, roughly 4.5 to 5.5 inches which tallies up

with Gumbo's 5inch measurement and he lives on the same road.

Not as much as the Leeds area but a very good amount considering the heavy intense snow that did the damage was only a 2hour period, 6-7cm an hour is some rate of fire.

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Still snowing here at Midnight , but slush and muck now.x

Moan Moan Moan lol.

Posted

Moan Moan Moan lol.

Women mate, never happy, they could get 10inches and still moan. oops.gif

Posted

Just been to western park Sheffield, still 11cm of level snow on concrete surfaces. The main paths where a mess this morning, although are better now most of the snow has melted!

Posted

It was good while it lasted cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

It was good while it lasted cray.gif

Yeah, the rain has started here. Really feel for the people who are going to be flooded tonight :(

Posted

Just finished making a large snow pile in my garden - want to see how long it will stand the test of time.

Posted

Most snow is here still but some thawing, some lovely sunshine today....We went for a drive near home up Cragg Vale then towards Baitings damn which was frozen over still and covered in snow so it looked pretty beautifull and still for a change! A lot more snow only 100metres up from us and then we decided to go under the M62 towards Saddleworth then over towards Huddersfield on the A640(Oldham Rd.) ....which was almost a mistake, it was clear all the way up towards buckstones but all of a sudden the ploughing stopped at the most exposed section of road at around 450m up, I have a 4x4 car but it's a car and an s-line audi at that so lowered so for about 1mile the road was awful and the drifting bad! very precarious but a mountain biker came through towards me so we ploughed on through.

I got to the other side and there was a road closed sign facing westwards but nothing going east towards Huddersfield! A good little drive out and now i'm in with the fire on and roast chicken and roast taties in the oven so all is good. :) :) :)

Posted

well guys and girls, now the milder weather is now showing its hand, from a imby opinion this winter so far has to me been nothing but average in terms of snowfall, cold temps etc, i read on the model thread and there is a chance of something colder as we go through Feb, here is hoping for something more memerable, i guess the plus side is with not having much snow there is no chance of flooding, but for my wonderfull in-laws in gloustershire i hope they dont get hit as hard as they did before the snow hit.

Posted

The dreaded rain has arrived now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yes its so sad watching the snow get washed away, hate this bit lol!

Been reading the model thread again tonight tho and there is some optimism building in there tonight that we will see something cold again in February so lets hope thats correct ey :)

Posted

I thought this cold spell would have faded into obscurity, but this recent snowfall has really upped it to something completely different. I've never known a winter to encompass so many snowfalls, even if there was thaw between them.

Posted

Thunderstorms towards the west coast. Wonder if they make it here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Thunderstorms towards the west coast. Wonder if they make it here

Yes very heavy squall line. Just been reading the welsh regional forum, pretty intense by the sounds of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Look at the spin on that.. powerful storm.

Edited by Mark Griffin

Posted

In the model thread theres hints of a probable quick turnaround, a few days of milder and then temps gradually dropping off with a pattern change.

Much talk of the second week in Feb too and also hints of a cold Feb and March. We shall see .

Raining here, still feels cold and its a bloody mess out there, a lot of snow yet to disappear and the river has already gone from a gentle stream to

a fast flowing monster, its getting high so fingers crossed it doesn't burst its banks again but its a real risk as all the areas land run off ends up in

it and there was well over a foot of snow on the fields. On the plus side, conditions might just be ok to get the bike out tomorrow, its been over a week

and its getting to me now, i've stripped the bike down and given her a full service this past week so we're ready. Its ok in an inch or two of snow but when

it gets too deep its hard work, especially with stealth drifts that have a tendancy to stop you dead and eject you over the bars, the only good thing is the

landings are soft, unless a tree gets in the way.

Posted

Look at that intense area of PPN heading for this region.. hope the Pennines don't eat them up.