Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

A decent fall over night, 4inches looking at it, we have about 1ft of laying snow now as previous snow fall accumulation hadn't melted at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Morning all,

Just popped out with m'ruler, and measured 1¾" of (fresh) level snow,

more in mini drifts.

I peeped out at 4am and it was still snowing hard at that time.

All stopped when I got up at 6am to let out the dog, she had a mad run round in all that, lol.

Temp. 0.2 ºC as I type.

Now it's the thaw and all that wind n rain to come !

B. smile.png

Edited by Beverley Lass

Posted

By far our deepest snow of this cold spell. No sign of a significant thaw yet. Guess that will mostly come tonight when it pees down...

Posted

3 or 4 inches new snow here but with ferocious drifting.

It's already 3.5C as warmer air is over-riding cold pools.

We are warmer than Whitby on the coast for example.

Please note most minor roads are blocked in sections by drifting, and main roads will have narrow sections.

Blakey Ridge almost certainly will not open today at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Just nipped out to measure..in total 11 inch probably got four last night..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

A friend needs to travel from Merseyside over to Sheffield today - train or car? Thanks :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

A friend needs to travel from Merseyside over to Sheffield today - train or car? Thanks :-)

last I heard (about a hour ago) both Snake (A57) and Woodhead (A628) passes were closed

train would probably be better, but I'd get them to check that they're running fine too, as there's quite a bit of drifting around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Morning all and what a fantastic sight to wake up to. A good 10 inches of fresh snow and about a level foot in the few bits where it is level! A great end to a very good fortnight for us here, hope the pics do it justice.

BB

post-7351-0-12724900-1359190419_thumb.jp

post-7351-0-00475900-1359190333_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

last I heard (about a hour ago) both Snake (A57) and Woodhead (A628) passes were closed

train would probably be better, but I'd get them to check that they're running fine too, as there's quite a bit of drifting around

Thanks x

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Snow depth 16cm so 7cm of new snow some of which of course has compacted down thawed as well. Water content 13.2mm.

I'm knackered already. Up a six to clear the drive ways down to the shops to do weekly shop. Impressed two walkers by the way I made short work of Derbyshire Lane.

Dug a path to washing line to hang out the washing.

Now thinking will I try fox house for pics or just the local park.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

About 12cm/5 inches on the ground here this morning- the precipitation stayed as snow throughout the night with a maximum temperature of just 0.4C at 5am, and then it fell to -2.9C around 8am as skies cleared. Some picturesque bright snowy scenes out there this morning.

I expect some thawing today as it's set to be mainly sunny and the temperature is already up at 1.2C, but probably just shaving up to a few centimetres off the snow cover. Tonight's rain should wash it all away and will be of concern to those in flood-prone areas. Next week we may well be hearing, "lots of flooding, and if you're trapped out of your home due to the flood waters accompanied by high winds- well, don't worry, at least it will be mild!".

Posted

Slow thaw here just of the trees though, would expect a rapid thaw when the sun fully comes out. As has been said already warm air is.riding over the valleys as Leeds is a good 1+ degree colder than us.

Posted

Fantastic here first thing, with good snowcover and clear blue skies.A great way for the cold spell to end and hopefully the cold and snow will return during Feb.

Posted

post-11617-0-37599900-1359142997_thumb.jDo people not use the radar ?, can they not see the precipitation bottom left over manchester moving towards yorkshire?

The initial band struggled over the pennines but as Keeley said on look north it will get more organised and more will get over in the next few hours as you can see it building on this picture

A decent fall but some of us oldies would say nothing special. Haven't measured it yest guess around 4cm. Thaw already on it's way but temps doing the normal morning dip and have dropped back to 2.6C from a high of 2.8C. Dug the driveways out and cleared the car.

Judging by the layer of ice on the snow freezing rain probably fell for a while.

A decent fall but some of us oldies would say nothing special. Haven't measured it yest guess around 4cm. Thaw already on it's way but temps doing the normal morning dip and have dropped back to 2.6C from a high of 2.8C. Dug the driveways out and cleared the car.

Judging by the layer of ice on the snow freezing rain probably fell for a while.

4cm in sheff, You have to be joking? Have you got mixed up with cms and inches. I know it variable across the city given the heights bu even on lower ground whe my parents live it was 10cms when I left them at half 10 last night.

This event was special because we never get such snow coming in from the west, that was unusual. I had to abandon my car and walk with the family. I'll tell you it wasn't and still isn't 4cm.

Edited by farmans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Fantastic allround it's been!! Sad to see it go

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

We had the most amazing snow I've ever seen last night. Never seen flakes that big! All melting now, hope we get another cold spell in feb with lots of snow like that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

13cm of fresh level snow here overnight, between 15-20cm in places due to the wind blowing it about. Beautiful out there with clear blue skies, farmers already out in the village piling the snow off the road into huge piles. Reminiscent of 2010, only difference being I know its going to melt :(

Posted

13cm of fresh level snow here overnight, between 15-20cm in places due to the wind blowing it about. Beautiful out there with clear blue skies, farmers already out in the village piling the snow off the road into huge piles. Reminiscent of 2010, only difference being I know its going to melt sad.png

On a positive note we at least get to look at the snow today. If its going to thaw i would rather it be a slow thaw out in sunshine! Then tonight should get rid of quite a bit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Temp 3.6 here, snow is thawing on trees and roofs, but holding up quite well on the ground so far. It's back to the thing about an extensive snow cover having a high albedo and helping to reflect heat- if I'd woken up to just a couple of centimetres it would probably be almost gone by now.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers