Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 20/01/13 ----->

A.J

Posted

It was made quite clear on last night's TV forecast that this mornings snow was difficult to forecast and it was uncertain of snow amounts and locations. I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect 100% accuracy insituations like this. Not all of us are so obsessive over snow. Its a bit of weather - get over it.

Edited by Snowmadsam
Made the post a tad vague and removed quote...don't want conflict...but its fine for you to express you own opinions :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Right guys,

I have edited some posts..can we please not cause an argument in here....I really don't like using the delete button because it feels like I am restricting views but rarely I have to..so sorry if your post has been edited reasons have been put in for edits..

Sam :)

Back to the weather then...cold and dry in Carmarthen at the moment :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

With all the uncertainty around at the moment, whats the feeling for us on the far west? Another rain event?

woody

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Heavy big flakes almost cold enough to settle but very wet and slushy out there; currently 1.3c/ DP 0.3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Current conditions Rhoose ..temp 0.7c, wind gusting 4 mph, pressure 998 and snowing quite heavily.

Posted

The Low centred over the Brest Peninsula (schoolboy back row snigger!) is rotating pretty fiercely. Through my fairly untrained eye, i would say that on its current course, the most intense PPN will skirt the South Wales coast - Newport, Cardiff, Vale. However, it will doubless spray a few hefty showers inland where, depending on conditions and timing etc, would give some good snow.

Posted

just seen bbcnews24 forecast ,looks like a pasting for south east wales from this evening and most of the night !!

Posted

Weather warnings about to be upgraded according to BBC24. It also showed the heavy snow further north and east into Wednesday AM, missing out on Cardiff and the valleys.. Likely to change though

Posted

Very heavy srting to settle, off to Carmarthen should be fun!

Temp 0.9c/ DP 0.2c

Posted

Weather warnings about to be upgraded according to BBC24. It also showed the heavy snow further north and east into Wednesday AM, missing out on Cardiff and the valleys.. Likely to change though

What weather warnings. The met office is a disgrace. The forecast this morning was not for snow here in south Wales but ice. Even now with a great big lump moving out of France and now crossing Southern England, heading for us, there is no warning at all. If this is going to be all rain fine. But if it is very heavy snow. An utter disgrace..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map

warnings now out and looks like a similar area to fridays event will get hit again. SE Wales in particular and the Valley regions, esp higher ground could receive 10cms or more later into the day and evening, falling in quite a short period of time.

James

Posted

What weather warnings. The met office is a disgrace. The forecast this morning was not for snow here in south Wales but ice. Even now with a great big lump moving out of France and now crossing Southern England, heading for us, there is no warning at all. If this is going to be all rain fine. But if it is very heavy snow. An utter disgrace..

Ian F said somewhere on the forum or twitter that the yellow ice warnings issued were instead warnings for snow but the met office didn't have enough confidence to issue a full snow warning.

Posted

Amber warnings aren't extending as far north or west as friday for the bulk of the valleys. Then again there are just a few miles in it so anything could happen. good.gif

Edited by ginkrots

Posted

Issued at: 1145 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid from: 0300 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid to: 1000 on Wed 23 Jan 2013

Outbreaks of sleet or snow will affect parts of southwest England and South Wales during Tuesday, extending to other parts of southern England and the south Midlands later. Where rain or sleet is currently falling, this is expected to turn increasingly to snow during this afternoon and evening, even at low levels. Some 2-5 cm of snow is expected quite widely and in places 10 cm or more, with the highest risk of 10 cm or more occurring on high ground within the amber warning area.

The public should be aware of possible disruption to transport.

This update expands the area to include more of southern England, southeast Wales and the SW Midlands.

What did make me smile is the timings

Issued at: 1145 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid from: 0300 on Tue 22 Jan 2013 nearly 9 hours after it was due to start

Edited by loadsa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Be patient. Those experiencing rain or sleet should see snow later today and overnight in the warning areas. As all these events have been so far (as is almost always the case) things may well shift/change a little over the next 12-18 hours. And as normal some people will do very well and others see nothing.

Having snow cover since friday with already 2 falls of snow and another on its way, its not been a bad cold spell although as with a lot of these events in recent years a degree or so colder would have seen powder snow and no thaw. The only powder we had here was on friday but with little elevation here its not usual.

This is a nowcast situation so the best thing is to simply keep an eye on the radar, far more accurate than looking at the weather updates.

I for one am looking forward to the next 24 hours, as I feel that there will, as usual, be some surprises

James

Posted

A forcaster was just talking on Red dragon radio and apparently the temperature and (presumably dew points?) will start to drop rapidly from now onwards and precipitation will be snow to low levels by early evening. Also mentioned the possiblility of a another red following soon.

Posted

It's a shame us further to the west won't see much snow out of this, if only it shifted west by some 50miles and the whole of south Wales could be bang in the money :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

trying to snow here again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

All my lovely snow is melting, raining temp 2.3c

Posted

No amber warning for heads of the valleys :-( oh well let's put my snow shovel away lol