Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted

BFT, told you I was up there last night turning aff the Shield, just hope it stays aff.

Snooz, EDO beat me to it, but I did find this again.....

Scots react differently to the cold weather than the English:

At 50°F

People in Southern England turn on the central heating

People in Edinburgh plant out bedding plants

40°F

Southerners shiver uncontrollably

Glaswegians sunbathe on the beach at Largs

35°F

Cars in the South of England refuse to start

People in Falkirk drive with their windows down

20°F

Southerners wear overcoats, gloves and woolly hats

Aberdonian men throw on a t-shirt; girls start wearing mini-skirts

15°F

Southerners begin to evacuate to the continent

People from Dundee swim in the River Tay at Broughty Ferry

0°F

Life in the South grinds to a halt

Inverness folk have the last BBQ before it gets cold

-10°F

Life in the South ceases to exist

People in Dunfermline throw on a light jacket

-80°F

Polar bears wonder if it's worth carrying on

Boy Scouts in Oban start wearing their long trousers

-100°F

Santa Claus abandons North Pole

People in Stirling put on their 'long johns'

-173°F

Alcohol freezes

Glaswegians get upset because all the pubs are shut

-297°F

Microbial life starts to disappear

The cows in Dumfriesshire complain about farmers with cold hands

-460°F

All atomic motion stops

Shetlanders stamp their feet and blow on their hands

-500°F

Hell freezes over

Scotland will get a red alert from Metoffice

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Ls,tempest or Blitzen..is Kelty considered "inland"? Prob silly question lol

I would say we are, at least a few miles from the coast!

BFT, told you I was up there last night turning aff the Shield, just hope it stays aff.

Snooz, EDO beat me to it, but I did find this again.....

Scots react differently to the cold weather than the English:

At 50°F

People in Southern England turn on the central heating

People in Edinburgh plant out bedding plants

40°F

Southerners shiver uncontrollably

Glaswegians sunbathe on the beach at Largs

35°F

Cars in the South of England refuse to start

People in Falkirk drive with their windows down

20°F

Southerners wear overcoats, gloves and woolly hats

Aberdonian men throw on a t-shirt; girls start wearing mini-skirts

15°F

Southerners begin to evacuate to the continent

People from Dundee swim in the River Tay at Broughty Ferry

0°F

Life in the South grinds to a halt

Inverness folk have the last BBQ before it gets cold

-10°F

Life in the South ceases to exist

People in Dunfermline throw on a light jacket

-80°F

Polar bears wonder if it's worth carrying on

Boy Scouts in Oban start wearing their long trousers

-100°F

Santa Claus abandons North Pole

People in Stirling put on their 'long johns'

-173°F

Alcohol freezes

Glaswegians get upset because all the pubs are shut

-297°F

Microbial life starts to disappear

The cows in Dumfriesshire complain about farmers with cold hands

-460°F

All atomic motion stops

Shetlanders stamp their feet and blow on their hands

-500°F

Hell freezes over

Scotland will support England in the World cup

at -600f, a scotsman puts on a vest!

Posted

Light snow on and off all day here and only a mile inland from coast. And the snow I'd lying and temps have stayed cold the ground is still crunchy fingers crossed for later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yep. It always snows in Kelty!biggrin.png

In this setup West Fife is definitely considered inland, as is West Lothian, far southwest Edinburgh and the rest of Midlothian, the inland Borders, Perth and shire and western Angus.

February 2001 has an almost identical uppers profile to what is predicted tomorrow:

archives-2001-2-4-12-1.png

Similar wind direction too:

archives-2001-2-4-12-0.png

Make of that what you will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

absolutely Shuggee, And I never complain about that... even from a Leith IMBY view, basically means If I want to see Embra snaw then I just hope on a local bus to wherever it is.

Excellent point. After that wonderful Red snow warning event in Edinburgh in March 2010 there was nothing left in Gorgie by the morning, but I hopped on the 44 at Slateford Rd........travelled 25 minutes to Balerno......got off at the end of the reservoir road, put the snowshoes on and then had a deliriously sunny and snowy walk up to East Cairn and back.

It was another world. Enormous drifts, the vegetation and scrub was covered, and because it was all wind-blown it held my weight walking on top of the heather when usually you'd step through big heathery chasms. I even encountered one of the farmers from the south of the Pentlands on his snowmobile, looking for his sheep to dig them out.

Back to the bus stop, snowshoes tied to my rucksack......and 20 mins back to Gorgie. Sat at home that evening with a bronzed face, in a state of wonder at how I could have an arctic-like day in the hills via an Edinburgh bus. Amazing ease of access when the snow is down. Edinburgh's buses are wonderful. Who needs trams? Pah! (but that's another story wink.png )

post-10976-0-89495800-1358692224_thumb.j

post-10976-0-87086600-1358692244_thumb.j

post-10976-0-84629000-1358692254_thumb.j

post-10976-0-10539600-1358692267_thumb.j

post-10976-0-82405900-1358692282_thumb.j

Posted

Temp 0.8C, light snow on and off as it has been all day so far. Fingers crossed do tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

With the predicted marginality, how do you think we will do in the likes of Lochgelly?

Theres still plenty of the old building in the rear, the old board room ir great with oak cladding on the walls.

I wouldn't/couldn't even hazard a guess going by this winter so far! I would be much more confident if I stayed in Kelty tho'!biggrin.png

It is in the end all going to come down to those uppers I think. Not liking the southerly component to the easterly either I have to say, as this doesn't bode as well for us here. Hope Helen Willetts knows this!biggrin.png

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

every time i watch the weather today it just looks better the recent one i saw had the front move north over night not making it any further than the north east then they showed on tuesday the front slipping back south to sit over central areas and she said totals could be piling up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Classic piece from Cheggers above!! -700F - a Scot starts to smile!

Had to work this morning after all but was a pishy grey morning so pffft.

Off north later again and hoping that my modest altitude for work and relative inlandness allows me to see some 'naw. Faark - just as I typed that my chair collapsed under me laugh.png - is this a portent blink.png ?

Also, Cheggers, I now have the technology to stay in touch while away, so more lunacy in the week may followtease.gif

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

MO warnings just updated. Yet again, nothing in Glasgow or Ayrshire. I'm moving house. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=7&lon=-5.13&lat=55.87&fcTime=1358596860&regionName=st

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow on here, graupelly and fairly light but snow all the same.

Posted

Ooph - just seen Helen's forecast...now I have a dilemma..

I leave for the gym/work at 0330...do I risk leaving, or do I call a number 12 on the Steven McMurr Sporran Scale ?

Everything I see, shows Stirling down the M 80 as a snowfest....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Afternoon all. calm before the storm today then!

NAE accumulated ppn for up until midnight tomorrow shows some areas getting a good pasting., ties in with the increasing swathe of Amber on the Meto pages, hopefully this continues to upgrade as the day goes on and marginality issues also disappear so everyone can join in the snowfest.

post-7292-0-36857900-1358692881_thumb.gi

Very still here today, no flurries, remaining benign and cold.

Posted

In this setup West Fife is definitely considered inland, as is West Lothian, far southwest Edinburgh and the rest of Midlothian, the inland Borders, Perth and shire and western Angus.

February 2001 has an almost identical uppers profile to what is predicted tomorrow:

I drove from Dundee to Edinburgh airport during that event - I think on the evening of the 5th actually. There was snow everywhere except for the strip near the Forth south of Dunfermline and out to a similar distance from the river on the other side. At the airport it was snowing, although rather wet.

I think those of us on the east coast would put up with a day of wet snow/sleet tomorrow anyway if we though there would be any precipitation left by the time the easterly turns colder later!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

How wonderful to have something like this approaching but with snow already on the ground! Usually when these events come along I'm starting from zero and there's the anxious 'will it lie' thing happening. Makes me very very appreciative of this not insignificant cold spell this past week :)

Posted

Afternoon all. calm before the storm today then!

NAE accumulated ppn for up until midnight tomorrow shows some areas getting a good pasting., ties in with the increasing swathe of Amber on the Meto pages, hopefully this continues to upgrade as the day goes on and marginality issues also disappear so everyone can join in the snowfest.

post-7292-0-36857900-1358692881_thumb.gi

Very still here today, no flurries, remaining benign and cold.

I'm wondering whether the Lothians snowshield is being overstated again - this was the forecast accumulation from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday -

13012000_1800.gif

Evidently, three inches of snow later and this was shown to be a rather conservative estimate. Anyway, avoiding marginality is the key priority for me, I don't think many of us will be short on precipitation over the next 48 hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

How wonderful to have something like this approaching but with snow already on the ground! Usually when these events come along I'm starting from zero and there's the anxious 'will it lie' thing happening. Makes me very very appreciative of this not insignificant cold spell this past week smile.png

theres bount to be snow on the ground before the front arrives i would imagine we will see shower activity later before the front makes it here as the winds pick up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Ah, I remember that February! Snowed quite heavily and deeply on the 4th? Then blow me it did the same again on the 26th/28th? That was really deep. A level foot I think. Couldn't get to work in Dunfermline so, Social Work Policy required me to walk to my nearest service output. That turned out to be an Old Peoples' home in Lochgelly! That bit I was fine with but discovered that all local Dunfermline staff had what is called a duvet day! Once bitten and all that!nonono.gif

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

About 1degC here, the occasional flake has drunkenly tumbled out the sky for most of the day. Guess they just missed their stop further E. About 3cm of snow over night, now softening. Been up at Kinlochard today, about 5cm on the higher forest roads. Softening again lower down to Aberfoyle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Not feeling very optimistic just now :( looking towards the 12z for some luck but I think it's more my wishful thinking.

Also can I just ask about Snow potential for Midlothian round about Dalkeith/Bonnyrigg area as my elderly aunts lives there :(

Posted

On the NAE this is as marginal as it gets before the end of Monday:

13012106_2012.gif

If this is really how marginal it gets before the end of Monday we're in for a treat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Remember an easterly event here in Feb 2009 (many other Kilters did well from that one by the way). Did nothing other than make London Road damp with a milimetre of patchy slush...5 minutes walk up Calton Hill (150-200 feet further up...) I was having a snowball fight with the youngster in proper snow.

So yes it can be bloody marginal here and I expect Leith to be least favoured. But all points south and west of LS term-time location at Pollock Halls should definitely be catching it. With all the caveats about DP's, uppers, intensity and all the rest having to be in favour of course !

i remember living in leith falling as sleet. got to princes street and everything white. bloody annoying

Edited by by-tor

Posted

A cold, grey day here and I believe that there has been some snow flurries. Many areas will have a decent fall during the next 36hrs - it should snow here but the only concern is that the precipitation could end up being too light for a snowfest here - a snow depth of at least as cm is the threshold. Cold spell should last to Friday, but will the breakdown be pushed further back and could we start seeing even more impressive synoptics for snow and cold in the following week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

If this was the forums equivalent of Deal or No Deal, then I say "Deal" ! laugh.png

On the NAE this is as marginal as it gets before the end of Monday:

13012106_2012.gif

If this is really how marginal it gets before the end of Monday we're in for a treat.