Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 16/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

With all this ramping, if I can't lean out of an upstairs room and touch the snow there's going to be trouble!

just don't dive out of it on friday morning......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

just don't dive out of it on friday morning......

He'll be fine - it'll be up to his window ledge by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

V6 radar showing some light snow pushing into Cumbria atm, lets see if anything falls.

post-9615-0-04393700-1358342451_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

V6 radar showing some light snow pushing into Cumbria atm, lets see if anything falls.

Yeah the radar quite often shows precipitation as light, when in fact there is non about as it evaporates before reaching ground level, so will be interesting to know if you see anything of note.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Fingers crossed for a dusting to a cm or two for you up there this afternoon Liam before the main front moves in on Friday, you will have to let us know! drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Just watching the forecast on bbc, it looks great for all of us, I just want them to lose the word "risk"

I saw it too, they did say significant and disruptive, they wont commit themselves to whip everyone into a ramp mode

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Can't believe I've got to got to work now, wont be able to concentrate, be back on later.......KEEP RAMPING!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Nothing coming down here ppn likely not reaching the ground, better reach the ground on Friday lol

2.5c today.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The key models to look out for today are the 12zs. If they show a massive downgrade then it may be time to abandon ship - although I don't think they will.

Posted

Northwest Forecast stating the obvious of 15cm in many parts (if not all) with 25cm on higher ground, time to dig out the thermals, boots, and camera gear methinks.

Posted

Just forcast on bbc 15cm for lower levels 25cm over high ground...i will eat my hat

Still very sceptical me...dont want to be let down.

Posted

I'm not on the ramp yet..... just yet lol

Interestingly I don't particularly remember the 96 event - maybe it was one for the west. I mainly remember the 90's being more or less barren for major snowfall compared to my childhood 80's (wet mittens and wellies/shoes left near the school radiators anybody?) 2010 was a beauty though, and let's hope that Friday is just... ooops sorry, still not on the ramp smile.png

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Please let this happen God,i dont ask for much.

The amount of time I've told my kids "There will be snow in the morning"!!! Now 1 is heading back to Leeds Uni and the other is in the middle of a level exams..........making a snowman on my whilst "ahem homeworking" on Friday (hopefully)!!

I'm not on the ramp yet..... just yet lol

Interestingly I don't particularly remember the 96 event - maybe it was one for the west. I mainly remember the 90's being more or less barren for major snowfall compared to my childhood 80's (wet mittens and wellies/shoes left near the school radiators anybody?) 2010 was a beauty though, and let's hope that Friday is just... ooops sorry, still not on the ramp smile.png

Can't believe you can't remember the 96 event the whole of the Northwest was buried in over a foot of Snow, even Blackpool & Southport!

Posted

Just forcast on bbc 15cm for lower levels 25cm over high ground...i will eat my hat

Still very sceptical me...dont want to be let down.

That's direct from the MO...would be nice

Posted

Can't believe you can't remember the 96 event the whole of the Northwest was buried in over a foot of Snow, even Blackpool & Southport!

i cant remember either

Posted

This might sound abit OTT, but this is the way i see things, we have fronts trying to push in from the west, which will not make any significant inroads into our cold block to our east.This event coming up on friday reminds me of the feb 96 event when we all got sent home from school, I was 14 at the time and can honestly say ive never seen as much snow as that before, we easily had over 30 cms at a relatively lowish level, so i think the depths of snow being predicted thus far will be way out.

I predict low lying areas will get between 25 and 40 cms quite easily and maybe more.

The tops of the hills, pennine areas, I wouldnt be surprised to see anything between 50 and 70 cms

Plus once the main band has come through, there is always the chance of streamers setting up almost anywhere like 2010 which could add a heck of alot more snow, its going to be absolutely fascinating for sure.

Posted

At the moment it's looking like Monday could well be a repeat of Friday. Forget shovels and invest in a snowplough before it's too late.

Ramping? Moi?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

At the moment it's looking like Monday could well be a repeat of Friday. Forget shovels and invest in a snowplough before it's too late.

Ramping? Moi?

If the 12z sets keep things the way they are now, I'm going to be very excited!

Posted

This might sound abit OTT, but this is the way i see things, we have fronts trying to push in from the west, which will not make any significant inroads into our cold block to our east.This event coming up on friday reminds me of the feb 96 event when we all got sent home from school, I was 14 at the time and can honestly say ive never seen as much snow as that before, we easily had over 30 cms at a relatively lowish level, so i think the depths of snow being predicted thus far will be way out.

I predict low lying areas will get between 25 and 40 cms quite easily and maybe more.

The tops of the hills, pennine areas, I wouldnt be surprised to see anything between 50 and 70 cms

Plus once the main band has come through, there is always the chance of streamers setting up almost anywhere like 2010 which could add a heck of alot more snow, its going to be absolutely fascinating for sure.

im still not convinced until i see it....