Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/1/13 onwards.

Coast

Posted

Im exactly the same Nick.

Quiet an unusual set up because normally you associate a front moving into the Atlantic bringing milder temps but due to the pivoting front we actually see colder upper temps arrive from the E. Looking at the predicted temps when the front arrives it certainly won't be marginal because widely temps are below freezing and so are the dewpoints (-3C), upper temps across the E at -10C.

Where im dubious is how the front even manages to get to my region. Now history tells me it never makes it this far NE. Looking at the UKMO between +72 & +96 and im unconvinced whats its showing.

So for now I would say Wales, SW, W Midlands have plenty to be excited about but for the rest of us I would hold on a while.

I'd agree with that. History tend to suggest as well that if it does get right over to the east its often a game over situation. Perhaps though this will be the exception :-)

Jason

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

GFS showing the cold heading down from the north east is something ECM has been showing on the 12z runs for a couple of days. Great to see the GFS starting to show this. Fits in with what GP has been saying for awhile and although meto do not talk of the direction the longer term out look has this type of feel.

Posted

Out into next week and we are under deep snow cover with ice days and sub -10c nights.

Check out the PV. split down the middle with plenty of options for cold from the North and North East coming up.. even if the atlantic tries to break through it will just top up the 15cm.... Off to down a bottle of Kalms and lay down in a dark room!post-2036-0-13449200-1358267716_thumb.pn

Posted

I fear this may be lost but a question for someone more knowledgeable, Nick, GP, SteveM, BFTP, TEITS...

If the split chunk of PV stays south of Greenland and we end up with a block over Scandinavia/Iceland, is this a great place to be? I'm thinking the chunk of PV will continually give LP a little extra 'ooomph' as they come at us and slide under the block giving us constant fronts approaching from the SW?

A stunning run here, GFS dangling the carrot massive here. Funny how little changes amount to so much in the longish run!

We need 2 more days to firm up on this one.

As you say, the carrots being dangled but they are definitely on to something because we are starting to come into the reliable. My prediction has been for a big snow event between 15th and 18th jan so I'm pleased that it looks like its coming right, however my wife will tell me I got completely wrong if it arrives on the 19th! Lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Ian has said the Chief is sticking with the NAE, suggest we look at that.....its completely different to the raw output isn't it?

No, he said the Chief is sticking with the NAE modifications after having seen the GFS and UKMO runs. So discard the NAE - for now.

Edited by danm

Posted

Is the latest NAE the cheif looking at still forecasting snow on par with GFS? And as cold? Where do you view this?

Posted

No, he said the Chief is sticking with the NAE modifications after having seen the GFS and UKMO runs. So discard the NAE - for now.

Indeed - his two posts a few pages back were:

"However - the potentially errant 12z NAE prog for Thurs is a possible major spoiler and albeit we have it discounted for now..... watch this space. Fri considered 'low probability, severe impact' event currently and we need greater continuity through next 24hrs."

then a little later:

"Chief sticking with his NAE mods Thurs now having seen 12z GM and GFS"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

One thing I think we can say about Fi (+192hrs) is the PV, it doesnt have no structure and doesnt seem to be forming back into its original destination (shown on many runs now) as long as we see/have this, cold prospects will never be far away, once/if this cold spell ends.

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Ian has said the Chief is sticking with the NAE, suggest we look at that.....its completely different to the raw output isn't it?

i read it the other way the chief is sticking with his modification of the NAE as its out on its own , doesnt mean its not onto something , but currently has little support , we wont know really for another 24h

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

-11c for Central and into southern and eastern areas for sunday morning :o surely this is a glitch where an earth has that come from

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn11417.png

I have a hunch the Atlantic wont get much further than the central belt of the country over the next few days before the renewed blast comes from the north and east. The jet is tracking way to the south of the UK and as many have mentioned the SSW has weakened anything crossing over the Atlantic. Interesting few days ahead :D

Posted

That has to be one of the snowiest GFS runs for quite a while. Snow events from Friday right till the end of FI as constant bands of precipitation bump into the colder air over the UK, that seems to be refusing to budge. Would be some very impressive totals for many places. With regards to Fridays front i suspect that the best locations will be the ones TETIS outlined. For myself i can only see a weakening band, if that. The GEM's take on Friday, backs the band further west

gemfr-2-84.png?12

Edited by Mark Bayley