Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

I doubt it'll get as far as Falkirk, but further blob action overnight into tomorrow is likely to appear so who knows!

thanks LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Tae quote others who've spotted it, 'incoming'.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looking very interesting out east.

Edited by scottish skier

I have found the Kilmarnock of the south-east; Kelso! Not quite snowless but not far off.

Here are two pics I took this morning, the first in Kelso and the second very close to the house we're moving into next week. A world of difference!!!

post-2844-0-63586800-1358207940_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-59671600-1358208016_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'd be surprised if you didn't see something out of that, hugely variable how far west it goes, how intense it'll be on landfall etc. In fact, maybe we should start a Saffir-Simpson-esque ratings system for East coast convection blobs. I'd say we're currently at a category 3, probably making landfall as a category 2 or 1.

Although, having said that, there does appear to be quite a decent pocket of convection off the east coast of Fife judging by some really rapid shower development ahead of the main blob.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

any chance of some good stuff for cumbernauld area anytime soon? been a total damp squib the last few days, below freezing now at least, but its so joyless at the mo :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Light Snow in Whitburn West Lothian! Really Didnt expcet this and seen the radar and think this blob is Heading towards my area

Does anyone agree?

Posted

Light Snow in Whitburn West Lothian! Really Didnt expcet this and seen the radar and think this blob is Heading towards my area

Does anyone agree?

Your only about 8 miles to my north-east, I want some snow aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Does anyone agree?

send some over to cumbernauld please, we're seriously lacking in any nice action lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

just refuses to move East so nae superfast or deeper snow heading this way.....away to ma kip....happy snowhunting people

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Hope you 're right. But a few rogue blobs aside, think the main blob is sliding a lot more N-S than its moving E-W. Maybe brushing the east coast, and affecting east-Lothian, east-borders. but I live in hope.

Does anyone agree?

Hope you 're right. But a few rogue blobs aside, think the main blob is sliding a lot more N-S than its moving E-W. Maybe brushing the east coast, and affecting east-Lothian, east-borders. but I live in hope.

Aye, it's done a turn to the south now, looking ok for us south-easterners but only time will tell if there is any penetration inland. Some curtain twitching may be in order at around 3am :lol:

Lots of chat in the MT about the potential storm into the weekend, but there does seem to be a repeating thought that the fronts won't get very far north. Perhaps some showers off the North Sea for us then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

You could be in the firing line Catch, good luck.

Hey, it wisnae you that recorded -24c yesterday was it ?

Is that kind of reporting not just the most barefaced utter fiction... Jeez !

Aye, it's done a turn to the south now, looking ok for us south-easterners but only time will tell if there is any penetration inland. Some curtain twitching may be in order at around 3am :lol:

Lots of chat in the MT about the potential storm into the weekend, but there does seem to be a repeating thought that the fronts won't get very far north. Perhaps some showers off the North Sea for us then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Aye, it's done a turn to the south now, looking ok for us south-easterners but only time will tell if there is any penetration inland. Some curtain twitching may be in order at around 3am laugh.png

That would be it. If the undercut goes to plan, that is to say some degree of undercutting but not with a massive low and also a bit further south, then we would finally get a stronger easterly or southeasterly flow with sub -10C uppers (that cold pool to the east will just keep on giving). The best outcome for me would be something along the lines of the UKMO at +96 but with the low in subsequent runs that bit weaker and further south. If we can keep the blocking to the north in place the natural response to the undercutting jet propping it up would be retrogression, since the PV fragment is to the northeast rather than over Greenland, and that would then lead us from an easterly into a more intense cold spell from the northeast driven by that PV fragment and the Greenland high.

Also, the flow will turn easterly at some point, so that area of convection to our northeast will eventually be driven inland.

Posted

Fairly decent snow shower in progress here. Big flakes. Ground readily turning white!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just woke up.

Snawin.

-0.9 C

Fair bit snaw incomin too by the looks of it.

Earlston, few miles down the road and lower altitude.

post-9421-0-55846600-1358234399_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Didn't catch anything overnight. Don't look like catching anything today. Currently 1c after a low of -1c. No frost on car! Cold spell? Had colder nights in Dec LOL

Posted

Well, it's very wet but it is white, and enough to cover the ground (just about) so for the first time since Dec 10....I have snow!

0.9c, wet snow falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Light snow shower here before 07.00. Temp. +0.2C/-0.3C. Lowest -0.8C overnight.

East Angus/Fife should be getting a dusting going by the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Worth noting that based on the most recent GFS run, Glasgow would see over 15 inches of snow by the end of this week.

Only a projetion of course, but very exciting times ahead possibly! cold.gif

Edited by NorthernRab