Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Back home after work and it was chucking it down with rain. Now stopped. Temp 1.5 and all this mornings snow has been washed away. Typical but exactly as forecast by the MetO and BBC. :(

Posted

I think we may just get a second bite of the cherry tonight with our old friend 'mr snow front' it's really bearing back westwards now and so long as it stays as far west as it's northern end, we may be able to get it back as far west as Birmingham?

It's gonna be an interesting (read frustrating) night biggrin.png

Posted

It's marginal as to whether it's going to swing back far enough to affect the Eastern areas of the E Mids.

It certainly won't make headway further West than Nottingham!

Edited by Polar Low

Posted

I think we may just get a second bite of the cherry tonight with our old friend 'mr snow front' it's really bearing back westwards now and so long as it stays as far west as it's northern end, we may be able to get it back as far west as Birmingham?

It's gonna be an interesting (read frustrating) night biggrin.png

Looks like it could do. Could also explain why our shower stream was suddenly cut off. However, that front would be weakening by now wouldn't it? And it would have the Pennines to cross.

Still, one last straw to get a hold of!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some good hefty snow showers here this evening leaving a fresh covering on everything. Nothing amazing but a little bit of a consolation after a mainly rainy day. Cheshire Gap stream is running out of breath now. Should think that's it.

I think in hindsight the forecasts were ok for today. They've been keeping the rain and sleet symbols in there for a few days and they were right. I suppose we didn't do too bad. A decent covering last night and a lesser but quick hitting one this evening. Could have been a lot worse.

Looks like a streamer may run down the Irish Sea, possibly reaching west Cornwall tonight. Uppers look cold enough for a time tonight so maybe something a little wintry here though quite doubtful. Lol.

Posted

Although not going to affect us the trough over Wales will provide huge amounts to a lucky few there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Still my favourite event of the past 3 winters was december 21st or 22nd (cant remember) 2010, overnight snow added to the totals from the weekend before i had 13+cm

22nd Wednesday, yeah was great that

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well it should high up, too mild still here, 3c.

Posted

Anybody got any pics of the radar at the moment ?

Not much to report from it to be honest. Streamer is now set up to our west over Wales and well out of our way. Winds seem to be turning more northerly and our flow of showers have been cut off.

That's it for snow for a few days now I'm afraid (barring any last minute features popping up!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Rain here all day, half a CM last night which was completely obliterated by 9am. A chilly rainy day and now the uppers are perfect nothing until Friday, which will either stay too far west or snow/then rain and bring a return to milder.

All in all a very, very disappointing cold spell In this region yet again.

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted

There is gonna be some fantastic weather through mid Wales tonight! So lucky!

The very south-west of our region might just catch it...around Hereford way maybe? It's getting quite close to Shrewsbury too but not close enough sadly for them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

light snow forecast for me friday, flurries from the north sea a possibility

Won't get this far west (the flurries) and the front will probably stall against the block, either that or turn to rain again. Dull living here. I don't think we will ever have a weeks cold spell where we get attacked with snow everyday or, 4 times in 6 days etc. Not like EA/SE and Scotland seem to do.

Posted

Won't get this far west (the flurries) and the front will probably stall against the block, either that or turn to rain again. Dull living here. I don't think we will ever have a weeks cold spell where we get attacked with snow everyday or, 4 times in 6 days etc. Not like EA/SE and Scotland seem to do.

front stalling likely yeah, west of here, still predict 2-3 hours of snow friday night, then rain saturday from the next attack

Edited by Gimmesomesnow

Posted

But we're land locked...not a lot of moisture to work from at this time of year. I grew up in Lowestoft...when we got hit in a cold spell, boy would we get hit and that was thanks to the North Sea. However, sometimes, the North Sea could be our worst enemy in a cold spell.

I think we do alright here in the West Midlands. There are parts of the country who do far worse than us. I recommend you read through the North West and South West threads and see the poor souls in there!

Edited by Gord

Posted

But we're land locked...not a lot of moisture to work from at this time of year. I grew up in Lowestoft...when we got hit in a cold spell, boy would we get hit and that was thanks to the North Sea. However, sometimes, the North Sea could be our worst enemy in a cold spell.

I think we do alright here in the West Midlands. There are parts of the country who do far worse than us. I recommend you read through the North West and South West threads and see the poor souls in there!

Yeah do okay, but not as well as east coastal areas, we tend to be either too far west or too far east

Posted

Although not going to affect us the trough over Wales will provide huge amounts to a lucky few there.

There is gonna be some fantastic weather through mid Wales tonight! So lucky!

If it makes you feel any better, the PPN over Wales will be falling as rain/sleet away from higher ground this evening.

Posted

If it makes you feel any better, the PPN over Wales will be falling as rain/sleet away from higher ground this evening.

Not completely correct. Reports now coming through of snow down to 100m. Sleet showers also reported near to sea level earlier. Wales now under mainly -6 upper air and dewpoints near 0c.

Posted

Still dont think 2 midlands threads is necessary, East midlands no posts for 30 mins, and with cold and dry days ahead will get quieter, attention reverting to model thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Friday could potentially get exciting here. A frontal system looks like it will undercut the block forcing cold south easterly winds. Met Office as snow symbols even at Lands End! Gusty winds forecast too. If this doesnt alter much, I could actually see Blizzard conditions!!!

Posted

Not completely correct. Reports now coming through of snow down to 100m. Sleet showers also reported near to sea level earlier. Wales now under mainly -6 upper air and dewpoints near 0c.

Snowing here in caernarfon allthough wet snow..hopefully more tonight and Friday