Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 13/01/13--->

Isolated Frost

Posted

Hate to say it, but from being the region due to get hardest hit, it looks like we're going to be one of the most disappointed - even Wales, NW and the SW are getting snow... whilst we're still dry, and due sleet tomorrow.

This has been a hard one to take.

Posted

I'll believe the met office on this one, they are not going to put out an amber warning out if they weren't sure that there will be lying snow in the North East tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Whilst this remains:

Headline:

Very cold with snow and ice.

This Evening and Tonight:

Snow will extend across all areas, turning heavy for a time giving local significant falls. Snow clearing eastwards in the early hours but staying very cold with widespread icy conditions. Minimum Temperature -4 °C.

Monday:

Icy with snow cover early on then further sleet and snow moving in during the morning, persisting throughout the day giving further snow accumulations for many. Staying cold. Maximum Temperature 3 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Wintry weather continuing with further snow showers expected, some heavy, especially near coasts. Very cold with frost and ice, and a biting easterly wind setting in by Wednesday.

Issued at: 1600 on Sun 13 Jan 2013

I won't fret.

No surprises as to who's about to get the biggest pasting.. Kent again!

You bloody hate the southerners!

Posted

The latest GFS does intensify the front by 9pm tonight, so i think we'd better keep our eye on the radar in case it does. There must be a reason why it intensifies, and even if that relatively light precipitation moves over to the east of the region its going to stick around for a while its moving at a snails pace!

I wonder if there is a kink in the weather front which will cause the PPN to intensify a little like what happened in February 2009, I suppose it has happened before so its worth keeping an eye on.

Although that said, the milder air is coming in and you can see in the central belt of Scotland that the temperatures and dewpoints are too high for snowfall, its one of those wait and see ones I guess.

Edit: I'm actually a little bit more optimistic about tomorrow than some, its just a question whether the PPN will be there and whether or not it falls as wet snow or proper snow, even if it does start as rain/sleet at first. Plus its a question whether its lies or not. Why am I confident? Because the NW'ly flow has colder air digging which will undercut the weatherfront hopefully makings things the right side of marginal. Even the GFS shows this!

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Whilst this remains:

I won't fret.

You bloody hate the southerners!

Nah - just that friends and family are there and they get all the decent summer weather... so it REALLY irks when they get the winter snow too. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Hate to say it, but from being the region due to get hardest hit, it looks like we're going to be one of the most disappointed - even Wales, NW and the SW are getting snow... whilst we're still dry, and due sleet tomorrow.

This has been a hard one to take.

Yep mate you are right looks like its going to be a slush fest for us, it looked so promising just yesterday, proves a day is a long time in weather!! I know ive mentioned it but UKMO downgrading the easterly tue and wed has hit me hard, i always thought tonite and tmoz would be marginal but i assumed the convective easterly was nailed so i wasnt that bothered now that looks doubtful as well and it seems that from tue onwards its just gonna be frost for us, which is better than zonal but it could and should have been so much better sorry.gif

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I never thought midweek was nailed as the other 2 main models never showed what the UKMO was showing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Convection on Tuesday seems nailed. Convection on Wednesday seems 50-50 but erring towards it- after that, everything is up in the air. Tuesday does look quite snowy- and with MetO support, and the current GFS/UKMO/ECM fix, I'm confident that Wednesday would have some snow shrs involved- the latest BBC forecasts indicate so.

Just had the lightest of lightest snow showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Light snow started here

Posted

Countryfile forecast goes for heavy snow tomorrow afternoon with snow showers Monday night and all day Tuesday..

Posted

Snowing lightly here, not wet at all and the flakes are sitting on the car windscreen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Light grains followed by very fine light snow now in Nunthorpe a bit higher than Middlesbrough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The thing I don't understand is 2cm isn't deep so why have an amber alert? The depths being banded about are feeble man and if that's all we got then they need to get a grip..... *rant* over lol

Posted

If tomorrow was all snow then 15cm+ would be a possibility by mid week, but alas that's looking pretty unlikely now. The Met Office will have left their warnings out in case this outlook changes again, and they'd look silly if they kept deleting and reposting the warnings every time a new set of model runs came out!