Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 9th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Heavy frost here tonight. Good start :-)

Katie

Posted

Erm, everything seems to have disappeared from the left sidebars. Am I missing summat here guys?

Hi K, I think it is to save bandwith at busy times

Posted

If it snows for 3 weeks you will be skiing here, it will be the only way to get around !

In December 2010 after the snow froze I travelled around Reigate wearing my crampons and trying not to step on the dog!

Got a few funny looks from neighbourhood watch when I got out the ice axe though...

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

Well people that Pub Run was probably one of the most laughable I have ever seen, Nick S Says it is almost a carbon copy of the 06z which was totally thrown in the bin by NOAA Regarding it's pattern across North America which will have a subsequent impact on us further down the line.

I know you should not discount a model but if it's Shortwaves cant even follow the Jet Profile in the first place then it cant be right!

Put it this way when we chase Tornadic Systems across the Plains, the Low will come through the Rockies in the 4 corners region, crossing into New Mexico and Colorado and then out into the Kansas Plains following a 80kt Jet Streak, it would NOT Go north or South and displace itself from the Jet on a holiday to Canada or Mexico! fool.gifrofl.gif

The shortwave on the GFS Seems to have a love in with Svalbard!

GFS Seriously losing credibility with me!

Posted

saturday daytime

PPVK89.gif?31415

very very messy

low pressure coming in from the west heading

heading east-south east direction

wind direction starts as south east direction

colder air covering most except the very far south east but on its way

thinking starting as heavy rain around late morning ( have a feeling the odd rumble of thunder first of all due to unstable air)

as the low moves across in the late afternoon the cold air should have caught this up winds easterly and cold

should lead to a period of snow late evening early morning

Posted

PPVM89.gif?31415

sunday at present looks dry

(subject to change)

very cold and strong easterly wind

528dam air over the uk

close to freezing all day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Funny if the GFS turns out to be right and all the other models backtrack over the next day :-)

Well okay, not funny if you want feet of snow (like me) but funny for the papers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Hi K, I think it is to save bandwith at busy times

Ah, right. Cheers AS. :)

Posted

monday

PPVO89.gif?31415

still under very cold 528 dam air

variable wind of north easterly-north westerly

temps around 1-2 degrees

starts dry but look west

that has undercut written all over it heavy snow monday afternoon?

need more runs but nice

also look to our north west -blocking

also look at that lovely big block of cold air getting closer from our east drinks.gif

Should we be worried about the GFS?

no smile.png

Posted

Should we be worried about the GFS?

We should always be cautious when there isn't cross model agreement, ie the major (and to a degree the minor) models don't all show the same outlook.

At the moment I believe there is cross model agreement out to Sunday, after that it can go one of 2 ways though it's only the GFS and JMA that are showing the mild option, everybody else is showing snowmageddon.

John disagrees but December is still on my mind and a few years of model watching has shown this scenario time and time again where one model picks something up and the others follow.

Granted at the moment the GFS is on it's own pretty much but it's happened before and it can happen again :-(

Personally i'd say enjoy the snowy weekend potential and worry about next week on Sunday night;:-)

Edited by Jayces

Posted

PPVM89.gif?31415

sunday at present looks dry

(subject to change)

John, would that strong flow not trigger showers, or hope above hopes a streamer?

very cold and strong easterly wind

528dam air over the uk

close to freezing all day

Am having an awful time trying to post from my phone.

John would thst strong flow not trigger showers or hope above all hopes a streamer?

Edited by Amanzi

Posted

hi guys

please read my fax updates for sturday sunday and monday

gfs after 120 is as reliable as my job at present

Posted

I was going to post this in the infant (sorry - model) thread...

ECM, UKMO, ECM ensembles, ECM 32 dayer, ECM seasonal model, GEM, the met, the fax charts the GFS ensemble mean, the Russian, Chinese and Brazilian models - even the NOGAPS v GFS - I'm not worried... Cold weather will come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

Well people that Pub Run was probably one of the most laughable I have ever seen, Nick S Says it is almost a carbon copy of the 06z which was totally thrown in the bin by NOAA Regarding it's pattern across North America which will have a subsequent impact on us further down the line.

I know you should not discount a model but if it's Shortwaves cant even follow the Jet Profile in the first place then it cant be right!

Put it this way when we chase Tornadic Systems across the Plains, the Low will come through the Rockies in the 4 corners region, crossing into New Mexico and Colorado and then out into the Kansas Plains following a 80kt Jet Streak, it would NOT Go north or South and displace itself from the Jet on a holiday to Canada or Mexico! fool.gifrofl.gif

The shortwave on the GFS Seems to have a love in with Svalbard!

GFS Seriously losing credibility with me!

I'm with you Paul it just doesn't seen plausable, the GFS is now trying to re-write the laws of weather physics........ if there is such a thing.

Guest archiesmummy

Thanks guys, doing lots of reading and do think the GFS is going to turn around but I just had a lapse, forgive me, I am weak!

:)

Posted

We should always be cautious when there isn't cross model agreement, ie the major (and to a degree the minor) models don't all show the same outlook.

At the moment I believe there is cross model agreement out to Sunday, after that it can go one of 2 ways though it's only the GFS and JMA that are showing the mild option, everybody else is showing snowmageddon.

John disagrees but December is still on my mind and a few years of model watching has shown this scenario time and time again where one model picks something up and the others follow.

Granted at the moment the GFS is on it's own pretty much but it's happened before and it can happen again :-(

Personally i'd say enjoy the snowy weekend potential and worry about next week on Sunday night;:-)

Don't forget that in Dec 2012, ECM downgraded the potential beast form the east whilst GFS kept the beast from the east on track until it back tracked and followed ECM...................Expect GFS to back track to the ECM's colder theme

Posted

Am having an awful time trying to post from my phone.

John would thst strong flow not trigger showers or hope above all hopes a streamer?

hi amanzi

the reason i have said dry but subject to change is for that reason drinks.gif

there is a trough way to our east

if that got wrapped up in the flow and picked up moisture from our snow making north sea machine

then bingo clapping.gif

Posted

Aye Yamkin that is true but at the same time weren't we all yesterday willing all the models to follow the GFS and show a cold snowmageddon which they promptly did?

I seriously hope that it is wrong but there is that tiny seed of doubt.

Gonna stay around for the ensembles and then bed I think and see what tomorrow brings.