Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

The Thrush pair and a Blackbird pair appear to have, probably hungry, chicks now as I watched them this morning rootling around and carrying off meagre beakfuls of food in the wind and between frequent snow/sleet showers.

If this wintry spell is protracted, I can’t see these broods being raised successfully.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Certainly raw on the East coast in Whitby today for sure!

20160426_135546_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160426_135524_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160426_135453_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

As if to say, "what the hell's going on".

Nice caption. :)

He's been luckier, though, after the last shower.

untitled (1 of 1)-6.jpg

untitled (1 of 1)-5.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, ciel said:

Nice caption. :)

He's been luckier, though, after the last shower.

untitled (1 of 1)-6.jpg

untitled (1 of 1)-5.jpg

That's lunch sorted. It's not that bad down here. Quite warm in the back garden out of the wind and just one small hail shower this morning.

Posted

These two are having prolonged fisticuffs now that the weather has improved (slightly)

Didn't manage to adjust the camera settings in time on my way out this morning.

untitled (1 of 1)-5.jpg

untitled (1 of 1)-6.jpg

Posted

Knocker, these are two photos of displaying Pheasants which were taken on this spring morning.

:)

• Like 1

Posted

It feels milder this evening than it has been during the day, The chilly wind has dropped. Several Pipistrelle bats out and about for the first time that I have observed this year-  good to see.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.
9 minutes ago, ciel said:

It feels milder this evening than it has been during the day, The chilly wind has dropped. Several Pipistrelle bats out and about for the first time that I have observed this year-  good to see.

yup, bats out here now, good to see them make a return.

• Like 1

Posted

Cracking day today so went down the lake this morning. One of the swans is nesting but I think only recently so any cygnets are going to be some time.

Swan nesting                                               Blue Tit                                                 Silhouette

Swan .jpgBlue Tit.jpgSilouette.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Do you mind, I'm trying to eat

Blackbird.jpg

On a more sombre note leprosy is infecting Britain's Red Squirrel population.

Wildlife experts have launched a research project on an island off the south coast of England to better understand how British red squirrels are affected by a form of leprosy.

The study on Brownsea Island will investigate how the disease is passed between red squirrels, whose numbers have declined drastically, and how conservationists can help control its spread.

Leprosy was first identified in red squirrels in Scotland in 2014, caused by the bacterium mycobacterium lepromatosis, although the disease is believed to have been present in the squirrel population for centuries.

Postmortem examinations have since revealed that the disease is also affecting the squirrels on Brownsea in Poole Harbour and the Isle of Wight.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/09/red-squirrel-leprosy-study-brownsea-island

Posted

I'm currently reading The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman in which she argues birds are a lot cleverer than thy are given credit for. Particularly Crows. She mentions the famous video of crows solving a nutty problem in Japan.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Quite pleasant down at the lake this morning. Low stratus and mist first thing but it slowly lifted and with no wind it was quite warm.

A Great Tit popped in for a nut and then got distracted

GT.jpgGT 2.jpg

The swan is still on the nest

Swan.jpg

The Rook and the Jackdaw

RJ.jpgJ.jpg

Six goslings have appeared on the scene. The question is how many will survive. Last  year none did.

Gos.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ciel said:

Hope the some of the goslings survive this year. 

So do I. Last year they all vanished very quickly and at the same time so I suspect a fox.

Posted

The Red River

Difficult to imagine now but it would be difficult to overestimate the importance of this tiny river (it's only 8 miles long) during the heyday of Cornish mining in this area. It is one of the most modified streams in the UK due to centuries of mining which has led to heavy metal contamination and the realignment of the course. The metal contamination is how it got it's name as until fairly recently it was a deep red. At one time there were more than fifty tin streaming works along it.Nowadays it's a haven for wildlife once again.

It runs from SE of Camborne ,north and then west, before joining the sea at Godrevy.

Red River.jpg

Redrivercornwall.gif

Edited by knocker

Posted
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 14:19, knocker said:

So do I. Last year they all vanished very quickly and at the same time so I suspect a fox.

I have seen Stoats and Weasels take young Geese.