Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who has not even seen a flake of snow yet this winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Wow, I feel for you guys, already had about 7 or 8 snow lying days, albeit with depths no more than an inch, but with about 10 days of snow falling, including the 26th October, this morning and yesterday. Anyway, good luck to you all, what's fir ye'll no gang by ye!

Posted

Absolutely zilch all!

It's like being back 10 years or in most of the 70s years!

Having said that bar 2009, 2010 and 1981 i cant remember many winters when we saw much snow before the New Year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

None here yet!! And except for a little bit of wet snow last Feb that lasted all of 24 hours you have to go back to Jan 2011 (and the preceding December obviously) to find snow in my area!!

I certainly hope this winter bucks the trend!

Although I have already had more frosts so far this winter (late Autumn) than most of last winter put together. And for me personally frost and crisp winter days make up for lack of snow. I just can't stand weeks (months!) of mild and wet.

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Me and i there's been very little sleet and hail also.

Posted

Me and i there's been very little sleet and hail also.

West Cumbria is not in a favoured spot for snow generally, NW/NNW airstreams with cold uppers usually deliver though and of course atlantic frontal systems which move in from the west crashing into cold continental air a la feb 5/6 96.

Its rare for many parts of England and Wales to see there first snowfall of the season before christmas.

We all need to remember Mid Jan - early March is when the chance of lowland snowfalls in this country is at its highest and not in December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

West Cumbria is not in a favoured spot for snow generally, NW/NNW airstreams with cold uppers usually deliver though and of course atlantic frontal systems which move in from the west crashing into cold continental air a la feb 5/6 96.

Its rare for many parts of England and Wales to see there first snowfall of the season before christmas.

We all need to remember Mid Jan - early March is when the chance of lowland snowfalls in this country is at its highest and not in December.

Yeah upper air and seas never cold enough in Dec and NW winds are useless, I need -10 uppers, even Dec 11, my snow didnt stick, Feb best month for snow, especially at night

But I have had nearly 2 snowless years, only lying snow in 2011 was on 07th Jan, 0nly lying snow of 2012 on Feb 4th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Even in NW airstreams we miss alot of the showers, south of Morecambe through to the Cheshire area always do well though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yeah upper air and seas never cold enough in Dec and NW winds are useless, I need -10 uppers, even Dec 11, my snow didnt stick, Feb best month for snow, especially at night

But I have had nearly 2 snowless years, only lying snow in 2011 was on 07th Jan, 0nly lying snow of 2012 on Feb 4th

It's entirely down to location. Snow before Christmas is common here. Heck, only 2 winter months have never had snow. And we've had some good November snowfalls over the years.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Saw

It's entirely down to location. Snow before Christmas is common here. Heck, only 2 winter months have never had snow. And we've had some good November snowfalls over the years.

Saw falling and lying snow - you should of been in Huddersfield on thursday Aaron good.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Who still hasn't? I know I have not, only Dec though of course

There's been no snow of any sort since December 2010 in this part of the UK, which is quite a long time for these parts.

With the half way stage of this winter fast approaching, it isn't looking promising this year either.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still nil. Last Snow April this year. Won't get any this December so we're looking at Jan. Certainly the worst winter I can remember. Even the early 2000's compensated with zonal storms so the weather was always interesting. At the moment is mostly grey skies and light to moderate rain with hardly a breeze to shift the trees. Even if you get partly blue skies the sun is hidden behind a bank of clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Still nil. Last Snow April this year. Won't get any this December so we're looking at Jan. Certainly the worst winter I can remember. Even the early 2000's compensated with zonal storms so the weather was always interesting. At the moment is mostly grey skies and light to moderate rain with hardly a breeze to shift the trees. Even if you get partly blue skies the sun is hidden behind a bank of clouds.

Had a feather dusting back in October can't believe you missed out on that especially as your only a couple of miles up the road.

Posted

Had a feather dusting back in October can't believe you missed out on that especially as your only a couple of miles up the road.

Nope nothing unless you count sleet which I don't.

Posted

not a hint of snow here, and if the current pattern remains the same then i doubt very much if we will see any, could this possibly be my first snowless winter in the 11 years i have been living in lincs ????????????

Posted

I get the feeling people are exaggerating, this month is sunny for most, it's been pretty cloudy of late but the start of the month was exceptionally sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Snowless Decembers here: 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2006 and 2007

seen any in '12? because it certainly is looking snowless here, with only 5 days remaining, all those years are in Ian's môdern era, but Im certain I had snow in all those decembers

Posted

seen any in '12? because it certainly is looking snowless here, with only 5 days remaining, all those years are in Ian's môdern era, but Im certain I had snow in all those decembers

I moved back here from Australia in 1984, so I can only judge those from thence forward, absolutely nothing to do with the mo dern era in which any case December didn't conform to if there was. I don't recall snow during Dec 1984, so I might have to add that the list but I'm not 100%. In most cases, it was nowt. There was little snow during most Decembers for instance there was hardly any snow until the last day of December 1996 despite how cold it turned out, same with December 2001.

Years with no December snow cover under Met office rules

1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 (missed out on the Midlands snow storm), 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012.

Infact it wasn't until 1993 since 1984 that I saw a December snow cover under Met Office rules.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Only 2 snowless winter months here, ever, as far as reliable records are concerned. No settling snow here, but we've had snow falling. Had no settling snow in January either, but snow falling.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I moved back here from Australia in 1984, so I can only judge those from thence forward, absolutely nothing to do with the mo dern era in which any case December didn't conform to if there was. I don't recall snow during Dec 1984, so I might have to add that the list but I'm not 100%. In most cases, it was nowt. There was little snow during most Decembers for instance there was hardly any snow until the last day of December 1996 despite how cold it turned out, same with December 2001.

Years with no December snow cover under Met office rules

1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 (missed out on the Midlands snow storm), 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012.

Infact it wasn't until 1993 since 1984 that I saw a December snow cover under Met Office rules.

Boxing Day 1984 might have had sleet/snow showers as we got quite a cold polar maritime incursion, but it doesn't seem likely that it would have lay on the ground at Manchester:

http://www.wetterzen...00119841226.gif

In the Tyne and Wear area lying snow was more common than in Manchester but those of 1994, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007 had no snow lying days under Met Office rules, while 2006 and 2007 were snowless. 2012 had a couple of days of snow lying there in the first week, but here at Sandhutton December 2012 looks like passing by without any Met Office snow days.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

December here will certainly be Snow free and the first two weeks of January could well go that way as well. If it does the odds of a snow free winter would be increasing rapidly. All very strange considering we're likely to record a below average December temp wise.