Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Mayhem - Moan, Ramp, Go Nuts

Paul

JH put it well.

I don't know what's happened this winter to the Model Thread, there's always been cold rampers since I've been reading ~8 years ago but it seems to have turned into a polar Wild West this winter. I enjoy discussing the models, posting charts, having reasoned civil debate about what will happen etc but it's been ruined this winter, seems from posts it's been ruined for a lot of other people too.

There's only so much reading about imminent blizzards/deep freezes 24/7 regardless of what the charts show, with anyone who dares disagree being rubbished before going into exile seems a good idea. Was hoping to return from my hole in March but now pesky winter seems to have decided it's going to continue until April, spiffing. I hope something can be done to improve the thread next winter.

/moan

Posted

Some variation then - something crap that you find on ITV! No shortage there.

But not as bad as the crap on the BBC. wallbash.gif that we have to pay a licence fee to watch. shok.gif

Posted

But not as bad as the crap on the BBC. wallbash.gif that we have to pay a licence fee to watch. shok.gif

i'm afraid you do have to pay a licence fee to watch the crap on ITV! The difference over the BBC is that your licence fee isn't funding it....that's derived from the crap adverts they shove on every five minutes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

There's an issue with that approach - people have lives and better things to do than to prune every single off topic post.

cor Nick, you missed our snowfest, hope its going well in US, coming to cannock for easter? may still have snow left

Posted

It might be an idea to ask admin/mods which 'season' causes them the most grief?

Define the season how you wish but I would lay odds that the moderating problems are greatest in the 'winter' season.

Part of this is due to folk who like cold don't tend to post in the 'summer' season so there are less folk around. But and the previous sentence gives a clue I would hazard a guess that it is the coldies who cause the most hassle. They argue with anyone who does not agree with their view, they even argue amongst themselves over the same matter.

The question must be-why?

"The question must be-why?"

And the answer is try not to worry so much about the 'winter' season threads.

When you have something like 2,000 members and guests viewing the MOD thread at any one time something has to be right?

And at the end of the day, numbers=advertising=good business.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

i'm afraid you do have to pay a licence fee to watch the crap on ITV! The difference over the BBC is that your licence fee isn't funding it....that's derived from the crap adverts they shove on every five minutes!

Aye, and we pay for them too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think John does have a point- it's been notable that during late February and March (when we've had both "cold" and "mild"-favouring members alongside each other, making comparisons easier) the "cold" contingent have on average been associated with far more sniping, ramping, and shooting down views that don't match what they want to see. I can think of a few possible theories- it's how a section of the community has evolved over time, and maybe it's partly down to specifics re. the desire for snow, the excitement that it brings, and the fear of being disappointed if it doesn't show up.

On the other side of the coin, though, the views of the "warm" crowd tend to be supported by the majority of the general public, and this can lead to people being called perverse for wanting snow in May or sunshine and showers in July, because of the associated disruption and inconvenience and the fact that most of the general public don't want it, particularly given the time of year. It is much harder for the "cold" crowd to justify arguing the same re. people who want mild and moist weather in December, since it is a much more popular position with the general public and even more so with the media. The "effects of the recent weather" thread has provided some good examples of this.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Think you may have a point there. I've reported several ridiculously off-topic posts in the MOD thread within the last half hour (just doing my bit for the community), but there's so many of them.

Good grief!

It appears that there is only one member of the community that is getting riled by all these off topic posts. In slacker times a little bit of sideways discussion and humour can often be welcome in small doses, as I am sure you have been informed. Perhaps unless something is inherently unsavoury you could just let it pass and let the team deal with what is off topic and not. Otherwise 'just doing your bit for the community' becomes more of a hindrence than a help, and I am sure that you wouldn't want that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I am very aware that this delay to a Spring warm up is not everyones cup of tea and indeed has had negative impacts for some including hill farmers and growers etc.

However accepting that`s what we have and nowt can be done about it i find this unusual cold fascinating seeing this pattern so entrenched. Indeed this stubborn cold pool over N.Europe is still modeled to be around through Easter and in the week beyond.

Inevitably with the ever increasing solar output this cold will eventually disappear even without a push from the Atlantic but not before it creates one of the coldest starts to Spring for at least 50 years.

Posted

From a synoptic point of view, I agree it is fascinating. From a weather point of view, I am sick to the back teeth of it! It is not unusual to have cold spells in spring, but the length & severity of this one is amazing. It won't change anything moaning about it I know, but please something more normal soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It appears that there is only one member of the community that is getting riled by all these off topic posts. In slacker times a little bit of sideways discussion and humour can often be welcome in small doses, as I am sure you have been informed. Perhaps unless something is inherently unsavoury you could just let it pass and let the team deal with what is off topic and not. Otherwise 'just doing your bit for the community' becomes more of a hindrence than a help, and I am sure that you wouldn't want that.

Yup have to agree with Ed`s views.A bit of leeway can help to encourage newer members who may be just getting to grips with the charts to take part.

Of course where posts start to take the thread too far away from chart related discussion then we have to step in but at the end of the day it`s up to all of us to help make the thread informative,friendly and enjoyable-after all we all love weather talk and that`s why we are here.

Just my take for what it`s worth.