Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion ~ November 24th 2012>

Zenarcher

New thread for you all ahead of tonight's unsettled weather, please continue as you where remember to stay on topic and stick to the rules.

Something MKsnowangel wants to remind you,

Just a quick reminder that some of us are meeting up in Milton Keynes on Saturday 8th December, it’s still not too late to join in the fun so please contact me for more details if your interested.

Those of you that are attending can you please make sure you have paid your £5 meal deposit by Friday, and also that you have let me know your menu choices, thanks

Previous thread

Posted

Cheers KR (from last thread), my profile is a bit misleading this weekend as we are in our sometime weekend retreat in Brighton where it is getting increasingly stormy and the wind is now more S than ESE and is, I think, heading rapidly round to SW. As Tenzing Norgay described the wind, when trying to sleep at the last camp before the summit day of 1952, 'the roar of a thousand tigers'

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

As others have mentioned, wind really is picking up here now, blowing against my window, long night ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here are a couple of posts worthy of highlighting from the previous thread.

Here and here

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

So Essex is in the red zone for the strongest winds according to Perfect Storm's chart.

I hope so, could do with a bit of life round this neck of the woods, all I had today is booooring rain and grey sky's.

Still doubtful we will top 50mph gust but we'll see. If I get woken up then I'm sure your prediction will be correct :-)

Posted

Wind has deffo picked up here in comparison to what it was. Went for a sneaky ciggy at the back door and the wind was blowing the rain in... soggy feet now! lol xxx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just about to start on my second bottle of Magners (go steady young man!) blum.gif and settle down for a bit of radar watching and windstorm listening.

Let's keep the reports coming guys n gals, who's up for the long haul. drinks.gif

Don't forget that you follow the latest from the adjacent regional here and also there is the following dedicated thread.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75051-heavy-rain-flooding-high-winds-21st-november-onward/page__st__400#entry2414018

Posted

This is rather concerning, courtesy of Just before Dawn from the dedicated thread.

It's worth remembering that even if your local river or stream levels are falling, or at least aren't rising yet, it takes time, often hours and hours before the groundwater gets into river systems - high tides, debris in the watercourse can also be a factor. Best to keep track of the Environment Agency flood warnings just to be on the safe side.

http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx

As of 20 minutes ago, there was one severe flood warning, 80 flood warnings and 200 flood alerts in place across England and Wales. High Tide in the SW, SE and East Anglia is between 1-3am, and although the tides aren't especially high, the strength of the on-shore wind (in the SE in particular, depending on where you are) might mean there are some issues with tidal locking of watercourses. I suspect it's going to be a long old night.

*EDIT*

Two severe flood warnings now, The River Pol in Polperro and the River Cader in Helston.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

still waiting the updated fax charts for wednesday and thursday

somethings holding them up smile.png

post-3098-0-77285500-1353796324.png

Bl""dy highwaymen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I'm pulling an all-nighter anyway cos of deadlines; so I'm up for a long haul.:) STILL calm in Norwich but...my honeysuckle is shivering a bit. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Cheers KR (from last thread), my profile is a bit misleading this weekend as we are in our sometime weekend retreat in Brighton where it is getting increasingly stormy and the wind is now more S than ESE and is, I think, heading rapidly round to SW. As Tenzing Norgay described the wind, when trying to sleep at the last camp before the summit day of 1952, 'the roar of a thousand tigers'

AS

Yes, I can hear it roaring now too and i'm surrounded by houses at the bottom of a hill in Patcham. It would be nice to be at the seafront right now.

Posted

Current state of play in Peterborough (Thanks to Peterboroughweatherwatch.com)

Current Temp: 8.8°C

rising.gif

High Temp Today:8.8°C at 9:52pm

Low Temp Today:0.1°C at 6:57am

Dew Point:8.5°C

rising.gif

Wetbulb:8.7°C

Humidity:98%

Pressure:998.0 mb

falling.gif

RainFall:7.2 mm

Rain Last Hr:2.2 mm

Gust:SE ( 146° ) at 5.9 mph

Wind- Avg: 5.8 mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Noticing an increase in wind but still can't hear it on my bedroom window as it's blowing over my house and away down the garden, probably gusting to about 25-30mph now a noticable breeze nothing more! I think it'll begin getting it's act together from about midnight onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

This is rather concerning, courtesy of Just before Dawn from the dedicated thread.

It's worth remembering that even if your local river or stream levels are falling, or at least aren't rising yet, it takes time, often hours and hours before the groundwater gets into river systems - high tides, debris in the watercourse can also be a factor. Best to keep track of the Environment Agency flood warnings just to be on the safe side.

http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx

As of 20 minutes ago, there was one severe flood warning, 80 flood warnings and 200 flood alerts in place across England and Wales. High Tide in the SW, SE and East Anglia is between 1-3am, and although the tides aren't especially high, the strength of the on-shore wind (in the SE in particular, depending on where you are) might mean there are some issues with tidal locking of watercourses. I suspect it's going to be a long old night.

*EDIT*

Two severe flood warnings now, The River Pol in Polperro and the River Cader in Helston.

Very severe situation now GTLTW. BBC weather just issued Very severe for Cornwall (Life Threatening) Flood warning.

Posted

I'm pulling an all-nighter anyway cos of deadlines; so I'm up for a long haul.smile.png STILL calm in Norwich but...my honeysuckle is shivering a bit. biggrin.png

You've got a very novel approach to things Keraunophile. tease.gifrofl.gif

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

met office warning update for sunday

states the worst conditions may be in east anglia

gale to severe gale force winds in the south east so no picnic anywhere in this area

You've got a very novel approach to things Keraunophile. tease.gifrofl.gif

i thought id better be quiet as well smile.png

Posted

Yes, I can hear it roaring now too and i'm surrounded by houses at the bottom of a hill in Patcham. It would be nice to be at the seafront right now.

I love our weekends here particularly in autumn and winter when the storms roll in. You're lucky to be so near the sea and the increased intensity of the elements every day! For me it's the mountains over the sea, but only just.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Well according to GFS my location should be experiencing 35mph gusts around about now and 40mph+ within the next hour but can't say I'm experiencing it to be honest! nea.gif

Posted

Here's the barometer trend from my weather station and the surface low will deepen further as it heads out into the North Sea.

post-7183-0-15046900-1353797375_thumb.pn

I think the low centre is about two hours away from my locality, so my analysis from the other thread appears reasonable, I guess. Or is it bombing?bomb.gif

Well according to GFS my location should be experiencing 35mph gusts around about now and 40mph+ within the next hour but can't say I'm experiencing it to be honest! nea.gif

I'd say its about three hours out, although I don't know your precise location, geographically speaking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Low is tightening up fast, you can see this by the curvature of the rain band now.