Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion

Coast

Posted

A whole new thread for all you Scottish members to discuss your regional weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Cheers Coast.

Since the weather is not that inspiring but I want to get the first post in...

Gonnae Pimp that Tunnocks Teacake fir us...

http://www.pimpthats...m/project/311/2

TEACAKE%2014.jpg

Quality.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Good grief. I ventured into the Hopes and Expectations for Winter thread, never doing that again! Back to the familiar warmth of the Scotland thread for now I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Oo-er, a bit big and empty and echo-y in here, isn't it (it... it... it...)?

:)

Fingers crossed it fills up SOON with tons of reports and pics of SNAW!!!! clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Posted

Anyone seen Helen Willets Weatherwise on the BBC which I picked up on Winterhighland on the snow ramping thread hinting at much colder weather arriving at the end of the month due to northern blocking!!!!

Not good at doing links so will let an expert find it. Perhaps a veiled notification of winter arriving without creating too much concern.

Speaking to a ranger on one of the local estates who said that the birds are devouring all food put out for them and the red squirrels have the largest feed stores he has ever seen with every nut bearing tree completely stripped.

Posted

Anyone seen Helen Willets Weatherwise on the BBC which I picked up on Winterhighland on the snow ramping thread hinting at much colder weather arriving at the end of the month due to northern blocking!!!!

Not good at doing links so will let an expert find it. Perhaps a veiled notification of winter arriving without creating too much concern.

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/20257405

A better day today with some sunny and clear intervals but feeling quite chilly in the wind during the afternoon. Currently clearer skies to the east and cloud cover to the west.

Posted

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../feeds/20257405

A better day today with some sunny and clear intervals but feeling quite chilly in the wind during the afternoon. Currently clearer skies to the east and cloud cover to the west.

Thank you A Winters Tale

Posted

Speaking to a ranger on one of the local estates who said that the birds are devouring all food put out for them and the red squirrels have the largest feed stores he has ever seen with every nut bearing tree completely stripped.

Trust the birds and the squirrels.wink.png

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yeah perhaps they're hungry fool.gif

Gonna have to learn to lip-read - sounds Lettuceed on the pooter. Perhaps might be time for new pooter too.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../feeds/20257405

Looks like some potential for convective showers coming in from the North sea if this comes off..Once the cold is here etc.

A mildish night here so far, currently at 7c.

Meanwhile the Met O averages show that it was a cold October up here in Kiltland

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Cheers Coast.

Since the weather is not that inspiring but I want to get the first post in...

Gonnae Pimp that Tunnocks Teacake fir us...

http://www.pimpthats...m/project/311/2

TEACAKE%2014.jpg

Quality.

Tunnocks Tea Pie. clap.gif

Pleasant day here, some sun plenty of cloud and mild @ 11c, still 9c now, roll on month end by the sounds of it.

Posted

Trust the birds and the squirrels.wink.png

Heard the much-repeated quote from Mary Whitehouse the other day. She turned on the radio and heard the phrase '...tits like coconuts...' and switched it off to go and complain, only to be told that the sentence continued, 'but sparrows prefer breadcrumbs.' Squirrels like coconuts too, and nuts...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Heard the much-repeated quote from Mary Whitehouse the other day. She turned on the radio and heard the phrase '...tits like coconuts...' and switched it off to go and complain, only to be told that the sentence continued, 'but sparrows prefer breadcrumbs.' Squirrels like coconuts too, and nuts...

D'awww, the only thing that ruins that is his incredibly obvious little black genitalia.

8ºC and damp. I'm assuming it is grey and murky but can't see much yet rofl.gif

Models look a bit yuggy with that trough sitting over or very close to us although at some point a rather lovely storm might get cooked up for us.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

8ºC and damp. I'm assuming it is grey and murky but can't see much yet rofl.gif

Models look a bit yuggy with that trough sitting over or very close to us although at some point a rather lovely storm might get cooked up for us.

Nice n bright here... Could have done with some of this for the tomatoes...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Bit breezy overnight gusting to 36kts with some heavy rain for a time. Currently dry, sunny and 8.6C :)

Bit breezy overnight gusting to 36kts with some heavy rain for a time. Currently dry, sunny and 8.6C smile.png

Sounds like it's nice up north, still grey and damp here.

There doesn't seem to be that much doing in terms of actul weathering at the moment, it's all about waiting and anticipating. Hopefully the 06z GFS will give us a storm at some point...

In the meantime how about some chart archive top trumps, here's a starter:

post-2844-0-13217800-1352457733_thumb.gi

The chart goes to show that not all is lost if the PV sets up shop over Greenland, it can still be very snowy :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mostly cloudy here with some spits and spots in the wind.

Met O have backed off a bit from the cold end to the month now with now just cool and dry in the South East. A Euro rather than Scandy high I suspect and not much use to us here if you want snow if it comes off?

Posted

Met O have backed off a bit from the cold end to the month now

That's probably a good thing; means we're likely in for a huge dumping of snaw.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Drove home from Inversnecky this afternoon in torrential rain. We had a few lightening flashes and some rumbles of thunder too. Just had some hailstones......

It's rare for us to get snow, sometimes just a wee dusting for a few days and then we get back to normal...horizontal rain.

Posted

Missed the rain overnight as front disintegrated over us so another bright sunny day with fresh west wind and currently 5.0c.

Finished digging garden this afternoon, ploughing also finished today and cattle still enjoying being outside. Soil in both cases getting dusty on the surface so could easily sow fields and garden.Seems strange after having wet soil for most of the summer.

Dusty soil and stunning colours on the trees also make for a colourful countryside.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Seems there's a couple(?) of new members appeared, e.g. Mistyqueen + Elaine?

Welcome to NW and the kilted thread.

Don't worry, it's safe enough. Just keep clear of Hairy Celt and his squirrels...

As for the weather...

t850Aberdeenshire.png

A return to chilly but not uber cold looks possible. Hill snow stuff with some tasty members towards the end of the run.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Hear Hear, welcome to our new posters, Hope you enjoy your time on Net Wx. Looks like we are still going with pruning threads just now, Perhaps this Winter one will be the one to hit 100 pages.

Much to debate in the models just now and it is going to be an interesting couple of weeks watching where November takes us, know what I would like to see but so many conflicting signals.

So, In summary

Easterly QBO - more favourable than being in a westerly phase.

El Nino - very weak for Winter, but a better template than La Nina or La Nada.

SSTs - still showing pools of anomalous warmth conducive to blocking.

Stratosphere - Our friend from last winter is getting his Ice cubes out of the freezer and cooling off considerably.

AO - currently cranking up positive / neutral (depending on what run you look at), Key assumption of negative for Winter Forecasts.

NAO - currently mildly positive / neutral ( as above) * GFS operational has flipped around and grabbed a cold solution now and again this week.

Jet Stream - shredded in October and due to kick up a gear, hints of being meridional vs flat pattern.

MJO - all 3 models UKMO / GFS / ECM picking different routes for start of December. GFS and UKMO Blocky.

SAI - Snow Advance - October 2012 akin to some previous good Winters.

ECM - Seasonal model forecast looking at a heavily positive NAO - all Winter.

So at present it really is finely balanced for what happens next. Brain hurts trying to put together a best guess, I think the Arctic SSTs are really the wild card here for this winter and helping throw up different ideas. Inclined to keep an eye on the UKMO model this winter to see how it does in respect of the new Glosea4 model they are running.

In the meanwhile if we are going to get a bunch of zonal weather that sends other areas of the forum into doom and gloom, Catch - great idea.

One of my fave Top Trumps, another very similar January chart, remember getting stuck in the back of beyond in Aberdeenshire because of the white out this caused.

post-7292-0-43054700-1352501533_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

One of my fave Top Trumps, another very similar January chart, remember getting stuck in the back of beyond in Aberdeenshire because of the white out this caused.

post-7292-0-43054700-1352501533_thumb.gi

Ditto Lorenzo,was going to post one of the January 1984 charts, as there are plenty to choose from! What a winter month, (my all time favourite!) It snowed nearly every day here of that month. The snow was up to my hips!