Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Which Weather Station?

Dilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather but especially cold & snow

Good Evening All.

I am looking to replace & upgrade my WS2300 that is now defunct.

I live in a town with a medium sized garden but is surrounded by trees & houses

I have narrowed it down to the following 3 systems.

1. Davis Vantage Vue

2. OS WMR200

3. Nexus TFA

In doing my initial research i have found that all 3 have their own characteristics & limitations.

I would really appreciate any feedback/comments on these systems that will assist in making the decision.

Thank you all in advance.

Dilly

Posted

Hi, I do not really know much about the other two stations (apart from having a quick look on the internet) but have a friend with a Davis Vantage Vue.

For reliable data, I would normally recommend Davis. The Vue may rarely overestimate air temperature by 1-2C in completely calm sunny conditions, but this is less than most other stations for this price or less which I believe tend to over-read by more like 3-5C in these conditions. It also of course has wind updates every 2-3 seconds (where as some other stations like ones I used to have updated something like every 40 seconds and missed the gusts), and the other data it provides seems pretty accurate.

For me the main disadvantage of the Vantage Vue would be that you can't separate the unit, so the wind,rain and temperature measurements have to be taken at the same height/location. Assuming the station was sighted for more accurate wind readings, this would mean that in windy weather rainfall can under-read slightly, or in calm clear nights temperatures may be a bit higher several meters into the air, or on top of a house, than they would at say 1.5m above ground which is about 'standard' height for measuring air temperature.

Similarly if the station was sighted about 1.5m above ground wind speed readings would usually be rather low due to sheltering.

If you get the Vantage Vue and you want to keep detailed weather data, it would be worth getting it with the data logger though (and Weatherlink software though I believe it's the datalogger that costs money and is quite expensive IMO), as without this the station won't store detailed archived data (expect all the usual daily highs and lows etc), unless you keep your computer running and connected to weather software on the PC 24/7. You could of course keep manual records of daily highs and lows etc.

With the datalogger the station can store data when not connected to the PC and you can of course choose other weather software if you prefer something else to Weatherlink.

I think there are a few users of the Vue on here that may be able to add some thoughts, I have seen make pretty helpful and informative posts in past threads from a few members.

Having had a brief look at reviews of the Nexus station on Amazon it seems to rate pretty highly, with people generally finding the hardware good. A few are not so pleased with the software that comes with it though, and apparently it is not compatible with other weather programs. A plus is that you can separate and move the various sensors around. I heard you can also add upto 4 extra temp sensors on.

I haven't been able to find too much info on the Oregon system - but have heard there is an issue with the temp sensor over-reading in sunshine (quite possibly an issue with the Nexus too) you can of course find a shaded location to place it in or some people build their own shelter or Stevenson screen type construction to place weather station sensors in.

One point is that the wireless range of the stations can be a limiting factor (a few reviews I read on Amazon found this an issue with the nexus station). The Davis Vue however has a very good range (like other Davis stations) and I can't think of ever hearing reception problems with it due to just not being close enough to the console) So if you want to place the sensors a larger distance away from the console or have a house with thick stone walls for example, the Davis may be the way to go.

You probably know much of what I have said, but overall if like me you are slightly obsessed in trying to get the most reliable data possible (particularly temp not over-reading in sunny weather and good wind measurements), and are happy with an 'all in one' system, I would go for the Vue. IMO it's measurements and reliability overall out-do competition from other similarly priced units (though I can only go by what I hear/read as haven't had first hand experience of most of these). Others may have different requirements to me though and be happy with other stations.

Hopefully something in this post (which has become rather long!) has been useful and there may be others out there who use the Nexus/Oregon that can share some comments. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I have the Nexus TFA.Bought it off Amazon,a little more than I wanted to spend.Couldn't quite afford the Davis Vue! I have found it very reliable so far and I have a medium sized garden surrounded by trees too.The rain sensor is ontop of the flat garage roof and has been quite accurate.I expect the wind sensor should be higher but we could only attach it to the fence post,but it does show wind direction and some wind speed!I have it linked to my computer, seemed fairly easy to install(helped by my husband)I am not that into the technical side of weather but I like to compare the temperature on different days and see the max/min etc.I got it in June this year so have yet to try it out over the winter,looking forward to try it in the snow,hopefully!

Posted

i had the TFA Nexus, after a year or so the temperature/humidity sensor failed - replaced that then the anemometer started dropping out.

Then the anemometer literally flew apart one day with 60mph gusts.

Rain bucket tips at 0.7mm which is too large really.

Radio link on it is weak and in some conditions it will drop out inexplicably when only a few feet away.

Vantage Vue has none of these problems.

The only drawback is that you can't separate the anemometer (although you can run a separate anemometer system which the Vue console receives instead)

In a good open situation this isn't such a problem, but an enclosed garden you will often wish you could have it higher than is practical bearing in mind you need access to clear the rain bucket and change the battery probably annually.

The drawback the Davis does have is cost - the unit itself is reasonable for what you get, but to connect to a computer you are obliged to buy their special logger unit with archaic software which is light years behind weather-display or (free) Cumulus.

Posted

Thank you guys for all your feedback.good.gif

This pretty much sums up what i have learnt.

If i had the money would defo go for a VP2 or rainwise system, however i will try to get some more feedback but the more you delve the more you come accross issues with all of these.

The Vue would be the better system but with the all-in-one system it limits what reliable data i can receive.

Sort of leaning towards the WMR200 as i am led to believe most of the early issues have been resolved, but will bide my time.

Thanks again & happy weather watching, lets hope for a cold & snowy one!!! drinks.gif

Dilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Dilly, I have the vantage vue, and despite the fact it is an all in one unit, it really is a very very good bit of kit. In your location it will always be a compromise, same as mine, but I found a removable scaffold pole about 15ft high, upsets no-one and gives a good balance between rain and wind.

The others are correct in that you really need the data logger to go with it, BUT there are a couple of people on other forums who have built a superb alternative to the davis one, and I can speak personallywhen I say it works really well.

Have a look on www.wxforum.net and look for Belfryboy. His works as a logger and interface and is a fraction of the cost.

regards

Woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Hey i Got a new weather Stations from maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/professional-wireless-weather-centre-220865

Problem is a Cant Find a Decent Enough place to Put it in my back Garden? i'm a complete amateur here and it dont Help the Pressure is saying its 951.0

Help me Please!

Posted

Hey i Got a new weather Stations from maplins

http://www.maplin.co...r-centre-220865

Problem is a Cant Find a Decent Enough place to Put it in my back Garden? i'm a complete amateur here and it dont Help the Pressure is saying its 951.0

Help me Please!

Hi Michael

You can check the pressure by checking with your local met office station and compare to yours.

What type of garden do you have??

Dilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

its a Normal Size Garden with Chips all alone The left side of it a Got the pressure sorted out so its a Start just need to find a place for it to get wind