Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bird Of Prey Identification?

Posted

Any bird observers here able to help? I was out taking a stroll this afternoon in the western peak District and dodging the showers inbetween. I hear this almighty shriek and saw this beast coming into view no more than 1/4 mile away following the valley floor. Luck would have it that I was in the right place at the right time and the bird decided to do a few overhead circuits before heading off towards a ridgeway. I'd seen the same bird earlier ontop of a nearby hill overlooking the valley and assumed it was a Owl being chased by a Carrion Crow given it was tinted in more/less the same red-hue color.

A brief search brings up the possibility of a Buzzard, but a second opinion is always good for reference.

post-8763-0-06885700-1349282322_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Most definitely looks like a Common Buzzard. Although their plumages can vary greatly, the white patch on the bottom wing, i.e. its right wing did have me guessing even though I get to see them frequently.

Posted

yes its a buzzard. we get loads round here. we had a pair of red kites a couple of years ago but it seems as if they have moved on due to competition for nesting sites with the buzzards

Posted

Thanks guys, I wouldn't have had a clue what it was otherwise lol. Seen kestrels in the area before but I know 100% it wasn't one of those, was rallying between a Red Kite, Buzzard, or something like a Falcon.

Definitely a buzzard (Buteo Buteo). I see Red Kites a lot here, they have a distinct forked tail compared to the Buzzard's fan shaped tail. Get plenty of Ravens too which are even bigger than buzzards and are of course all black with a wedge shaped tail and longer neck and beak. Can't mistake their croaking calls, quite common here in the hills and seeing more in and around the town too.

Edited by Barb-

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I reckon there are at least 6 buzzards around where I live. I constantly see them perched on the trees and phone poles out the back or gliding low over my hen runs while out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

We have loads of Buzzards here too. Especially love watching the younger ones in the late spring / early summer in late evening sunshine learning to venture further and further from their parents - most of the time they are being pushed to learn and sound quite fretful! When they get a little older they become much more confident and will fly quite low over the woofers and I to try and work out what we are. Fab creatures. Get hell from the crows round here though!