Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

it isn't so long ago that some thought the earth t'was flat crewe ! 

to be fair, despite our lack of resource, this is fairly 'cutting edge' stuff and as such, will not be embraced by all (yet)

It's not that cutting edge Nick - after all I started the first strat thread 5 years ago! I think that those who are yet to embrace are probably digging there heals in after refuting the importance of the strat those five years ago. ( Remember the SSW late Jan 2009 and the corresponding early Feb 2009 easterly?)

I tweeted this link earlier today but worth putting it up here as it shows how the SSW earlier this year was forecast and can be analysed with the new  GEOS-5 model: http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/researchhighlights/SSW/

• Like 3

Posted

Completely agree that this is, by a country mile, THE most absorbing thread heading into and going through winter. I also agree with John that our actual understanding of this subject does not seem to increase proportionally by the amount of new stuff we learn year on year!

I think though that the fact stratosphere temperature forecasts are not subject to wild fluxuations unlike the troposphere means it has to be taken very seriously as a primary forecast tool for our weather, at least in terms of longwave patterns.

The real trick though is understanding the coupling between this (and indeed other potential primary drivers, i.e. ENSO) and our atmosphere / weather. Why do such seemingly similar states interact in completely different ways? What is driving what drives what? Why exactly do certain drivers get readily over-ridden / muted at times but become primary influencers at other times.

Nail that and huge steps forward in forecasting will occur overnight.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Oh go on then, let's have one of these graphs. anyone want to plot the line for the next 6 months :)

post-7292-0-09212100-1379354189_thumb.gi

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
Damn, was just about to do the same thing! Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Is that predicted? Do we not want a warmer north pole with the colder air placed over siberia,north western europe?

Posted

Is that predicted? Do we not want a warmer north pole with the colder air placed over siberia,north western europe?

erm.... 47C plus whatever's 'off the scale' above the average, i'd say thats a warmer north pole!.... wouldn't you??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I was looking at the December drop :(

Posted

Could anyone help in explaining what happened to the polar vortex in 2010 to cause such a cold and blocked start to the winter?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/archive/10mb9065_2010.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/archive/70mb9065_2010.gif

From what I can see there was nothing too out of the ordinary both higher and lower in the stratosphere. There was a small warming at 10hpa at the start of November and at the start of December, with nothing unusual happening lower down. Did this small warming delay the formation of the vortex and give us a cold November/December? Or did nothing happen to the vortex and the cold weather caused by something else?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

no but its what we would all like to see Posted Image

Could anyone help in explaining what happened to the polar vortex in 2010 to cause such a cold and blocked start to the winter?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/archive/10mb9065_2010.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/archive/70mb9065_2010.gif

From what I can see there was nothing too out of the ordinary both higher and lower in the stratosphere. There was a small warming at 10hpa at the start of November and at the start of December, with nothing unusual happening lower down. Did this small warming delay the formation of the vortex and give us a cold November/December? Or did nothing happen to the vortex and the cold weather caused by something else?

hi its all here Posted Image

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64621-stratosphere-temperature-watch/

EDIT: or more specifically here: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64621-stratosphere-temperature-watch/?p=1878117

Edited by Suburban Streamer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Mountain torque events events increase the GLAAM as far as I am aware.

My understanding was that they decrease GLAAM because the air masses pushing on the mountains gives an impulse of momentum to Earth from the atmosphere.

Posted

My understanding was that they decrease GLAAM because the air masses pushing on the mountains gives an impulse of momentum to Earth from the atmosphere.

Do not want to side track the thread but I thought that what you describe is friction torque.

Could be wrong though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

My understanding is that positive mountain torques follow positive frictional torques adding energy to the tropical momentum budget and negative mountain torques follow negative frictional torques deflecting momentum northwards away from the tropics.

The former is better for reducing west to east flow across more northern latitudes and a more meridional flow is more likely, as well as the posibility that the MT can be deflected into the stratosphere if it is strong enough.

post-4523-0-81607000-1380388420_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

My understanding is that positive mountain torques follow positive frictional torques adding energy to the tropical momentum budget and negative mountain torques follow negative frictional torques deflecting momentum northwards away from the tropics.

The former is better for reducing west to east flow across more northern latitudes and a more meridional flow is more likely, as well as the posibility that the MT can be deflected into the stratosphere if it is strong enough.

Posted Imagegwo_phase_fig4.jpg

Positive mountain torques more meridional flow and as you say good

chances of wave breaking and stratospheric warming perhaps.

I do remember GP posting that increased Glaam is what you need for

a more meridional flow. Although it depends on time of year and wave

lengths.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

hi everyone

Just going back to the QBO.  I remember GP mentioning some time ago that these westerly phases last between 8-11 months. This current phase started in March 2013 and has now more than likely reached its peak.  I've also read a fair bit from various people suggesting a colder second half of winter compared to the first.  Do we think that if we do see a colder jan/feb this may well be influenced by the change to a easterly phase qbo early next year? or at least a fairly weak westerly.

Just to contradict that, i've noticed that stronger westerly phases (this years is the strongest since 1999) tend to drag on for longer (1999 phase lasted 16 months).

Basically, is anyone ready to predict a timescale for a change to east phase qbo?

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/qbo.data

• Like 1

Posted

hi everyone

Just going back to the QBO.  I remember GP mentioning some time ago that these westerly phases last between 8-11 months. This current phase started in March 2013 and has now more than likely reached its peak.  I've also read a fair bit from various people suggesting a colder second half of winter compared to the first.  Do we think that if we do see a colder jan/feb this may well be influenced by the change to a easterly phase qbo early next year? or at least a fairly weak westerly.

Just to contradict that, i've noticed that stronger westerly phases (this years is the strongest since 1999) tend to drag on for longer (1999 phase lasted 16 months).

Basically, is anyone ready to predict a timescale for a change to east phase qbo?

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/qbo.data

I find the below link a useful image to keep an eye on in terms of simplifying things:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CDB/Tropics/figt3.gif

Posted Image

The bottom image shows the zonal wind anomalies at 30 and 50hPa - the key area to keep an eye on for the QBO.

As you can see as far as August there are hints at 30hPa of it just starting to top out but we will need to wait for confirmation of this with the September update. But that's the simplest way of keep an eye on things.

SK

EDIT: Another useful link to keep an eye on multiple levels:

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/met/ag/strat/produkte/qbo/qbo.dat?1378278888

Edited by snowking
  • Like 3

Mountain torque events events increase the GLAAM as far as I am aware.

Yes, this is true, especially in a regional sense. Easterly wind anomalies basically slow the Earth down, causing +AAM to be transferred from the solid Earth to the air. In the case of mountain ranges, a surface low anomaly to the west of it (and high to the east) will cause a net easterly over the mountain range and slow the Earth even further than if it were just the mountain range alone. So a negative frictional torque and a positive mountain torque contribute to regional +AAM anomalies.

The correlation with the AO is actually not so clear-cut; and, in fact, the +MT showed a +AO tendency in some research. This is because the +MT increases the net Mid Latitude westerlies over time, intensifying the jet and PV. There exists an internal AAM cycle across the Mid Latitudes that occasionally is independent of the tropical source to mid latitude sink cycle we are accustomed to (tropical forcing). The internal cycle is simply mid latitude (mainly over the ocean) frictional sinks eating the momentum produced by the mountains in the same latitude-belt. So, not all +MT events are created equal and not all will occur with, and/or lead to, a +GLAAM/meridional flow.

I hope this helped.

• Like 6