Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It is funny you should say that feb1991blizzard as I have had a gut feeling for a truly memorable winter too. I didn't want to say anything on this forum for fear of being ridiculed. I do love this forum, all the banter and the build up to my favourite season. Although I'll probably be divorced by the end of it! Okay I am going to nail my shirt to the mast and go for a winter comparable with that of 62/63, live by the sword, die by the sword, that's what I say! ������

And for those of us who weren't around in 1962/1963? What was the weather like that winter :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

And for those of us who weren't around in 1962/1963? What was the weather like that winter smile.png

Well...where shall I start? Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Isn't there an historic weather thread for discussing winters of old? :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/forum/40-historic-weather/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It is funny you should say that feb1991blizzard as I have had a gut feeling for a truly memorable winter too. I didn't want to say anything on this forum for fear of being ridiculed. I do love this forum, all the banter and the build up to my favourite season. Although I'll probably be divorced by the end of it! Okay I am going to nail my shirt to the mast and go for a winter comparable with that of 62/63, live by the sword, die by the sword, that's what I say! ��

I Know Liam just joked about not surviving it but i am not sure my liver will last it seriously, i have the results of a CT scan back soon but the consultant thinks i have extensive damage to my pancreas and liver, the time i tend to increase by drinking is when a crucial run is coming out, problem is that i carry on either to celebrate or drown my sorrows!!! Nothing really to ridicule you about really, its only if you say it its going to be a belter on a certain day because the CFS says it will 3 months out that anyone should get ridiculed, its just a gut feel but i am confident.

Posted

I'm looking forward to a scenario similar to this in 2010, it opened the way to further snowfall and a proper chilly weather. Nothing like a northerly coming straight down from the artic.. biggrin.png

post-15543-0-75832000-1347657476_thumb.g

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I'm envisioning a rather mild winter myself. Don't know what it is. Just gut feeling I guess.

Whose gut is going be right time will only tell. Hope it's not mine.

Yes, a lot of nonsense on this thread tonight. Shall we keep things a little more factual please.

Posted

And for those of us who weren't around in 1962/1963? What was the weather like that winter smile.png

It was a bit snowy at times...

Posted

Yes, a lot of nonsense on this thread tonight. Shall we keep things a little more factual please.

So what's factual then?

Posted

Given that brief description i think i can manage, at least hoping for more of the same this winter good.gif

Posted

So what's factual then?

\

CFS forecasts, met office forecasts, Enso conditions, QBO state etc

Not gut feelings. Thanks.

Posted

I'll have to create a thread for people to post non-factual winter stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

That reminds me of this in 2009...... I couldn't find my own photos so i googled one.

4mar10-2.jpg

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'll have to create a thread for people to post non-factual winter stuff.

no need to......we have it already for a lot of posters, it's called the "Model Output Discussion"...lol

Posted

Well I created a thread for non-technical winter weather discussion for people to just vent their general excitement, so that the pro's can discuss long range models in peace but it has been locked. So unfortunately for the people complaining that others are typing nonsense, you'll have to put up with it.

Posted

Well I created a thread for non-technical winter weather discussion for people to just vent their general excitement, so that the pro's can discuss long range models in peace but it has been locked. So unfortunately for the people complaining that others are typing nonsense, you'll have to put up with it.

Yep, you wouldn't believe there were so many opportunities to post stuff about the Winter here. But it looks like we are stuck with this thread about the oncoming Winter for now, well it is a few months away yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yep, you wouldn't believe there were so many opportunities to post stuff about the Winter here. But it looks like we are stuck with this thread about the oncoming Winter for now, well it is a few months away yet!

I thought the general weather threads like seasonal threads, daily threads etc were supposed to be slightly more relaxed in terms of moderation than the MOD, granted no one has had anything deleted in the winter 2012/2013 thread but it seems that a bit gut feeling and trying to get some excitement and get it motoring early is frowned upon, maybe we should get the sacra thread up and running or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Any winter forecast form this range is pure guesswork, Although it is fun to speculate

This is especially true from computer models. From this range, experienced professionals will outperform computer models.

I personally would use the CFS to look at the Autumn weather. There is little point looking at the CFS forecast for 3 months away. The current forecast could be 100% accurate, but this is completely irrelevant, because the CFS constantly chops and changes. When winter draws nearer and CFS begins to show consistency then we can begin to take it seriously, IMO.

The British weather is notoriously difficult to predict at long range, especially in winter. To the west, a warm Atlantic ocean, and to the east a freezing continent. Small changes in forecast pressure patterns, could drastically change the weather we experience. So where The CFS may be more useful for the U.S.A, it is of little use in predicting our weather at this range.

Im interested in seeing how this Autumn plays out. Some think that the Siberian snow cover in Autumn can be an indicator to the severity of the winter of western Europe.And then there is the theory that the Autumn weather can be a precursor to the winter ahead.

Does anyone here believe there is a link between the Autumn and Winter weather?

I certainly think that a vast Siberian snow cover can aid the setup of A Scandinavian High in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

\

Don't be such a kill joy, chionomaniac. Winter is too far away for any factual discussion to be taken even remotely seriously. This entire thread cannot be taken seriously. In fact, it's pretty embarrassing that anyone is taking it seriously at all. A gut feeling would be just as useful as any pointless chocolate pot long range charts. There's a similar thread on TWO where people are actually peeing themselves with excitement because one Met Office chart shows omega blocking, and you think people are talking nonsense because they have a 'gut feeling'? Everyone is talking nonsense on this thread.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

I thought the general weather threads like seasonal threads, daily threads etc were supposed to be slightly more relaxed in terms of moderation than the MOD, granted no one has had anything deleted in the winter 2012/2013 thread but it seems that a bit gut feeling and trying to get some excitement and get it motoring early is frowned upon, maybe we should get the sacra thread up and running or something.

Well I guess all those things will come in time as they always do when we get nearer the actual season. But we still have a lot of Autumn to go yet, there are still four seasons!!! :lol:

Posted

Don't be such a kill joy, chionomaniac. Winter is too far away for any factual discussion to be taken even remotely seriously. This entire thread cannot be taken seriously. In fact, it's pretty embarrassing that anyone is taking it seriously at all. A gut feeling would be just as useful as any pointless chocolate pot long range charts. There's a similar thread on TWO where people are actually peeing themselves with excitement because one Met Office chart shows omega blocking, and you think people are talking nonsense because they have a 'gut feeling'? Everyone is talking nonsense on this thread.

Perhaps I am being a bit over the top and I am sorry for that. I guess my concern is the crossover between what is extreme hopecasting and something more realistic at this stage!

Posted

\

The way the CFS has been performing I would take a gut feeling every time.biggrin.png

The met office probability charts on the other hand have been consistent for a few months now, with blocking to our NW. As for ENSO that looks like becoming neutral as we head towards the end of the year, which leaves the QBO that I'm not sure off.

ZoomButt.gif

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted

Yes there is a chance... there is a chance anything could happen at the moment.