Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Foam pics are brilliant, quite a messy day all round. Unfortunately spent much of it driving in hellish conditions in the worst car in Scotland which will now be on it's way to a scrapyard somewhere !

NE England getting slammed this is astonishing pic, Liam J just posted in Nadine thread. http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2012-09-25/block-of-flats-at-risk-of-collapse-after-floods-in-newburn/

The rain still projected to rotate through this evening. NAE forecast predicts East Lothian, Edinburgh, Midlothian, West Lothian due a deluge overnight. NMM slightly less intense.

A truly horrible day, hope everyone managed to get around safely.

post-7292-0-44420600-1348600818_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

According to the Radio station it was Stonehaven!

It was Fittie [Footdee] and along towards the harbour in Aberdeen. Don't know why they mentioned Stonehaven on radio and in an initial report on TV.

Here missed worst of the rain but unusually strong North Easterly winds for the time of year. Lots of branches and trees down and debris lying about. Strongest gust in town was 65 mph but I suspect higher in exposed bits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Thanks for clearing that up! I'm walking about Glasgow City Centre tomorrow selling to businesses so I'm hoping I don't get soaked like I did last week! :lol: In saying that if worst comes to worst I can always take shelter in a nearby coffee shop/hotel and setup office there good.gif

Posted

Evening all. Survived the drive to Guildford! Pished it down till south of Northampton, wipers on full speed for most of it! Cracking evening here, sun and blue skies, capped off with an Indian and several bottles of Mongoose.

When on route earlier, road signs warning of road closure A1 North J49 to J60!!!ohmy.png

More pics of the flooding etc http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208269/UK-weather-Flood-warnings-North-foam-covers-Aberdeen-fishing-village.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-mailonline

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

What a day! hope everyone is safe and well.

Wild here through the day, still raining now but not as intense. The potholes in the driveway are now pretty ridiculous, happy for that to be my only complaint though I suppose, given what some have had to endure.

And here's a close up of the foam!

http://sphotos-d.ak....882370357_n.jpg

Crazy stuff, kinda like the end of Ghostbusters..... hope Gozer did'nt make an appearenceunsure.png Nimble little minx

Posted

Still wet here although I see by the radar we are about the only bit of the Firth with rain. Much calmer and currently 9.2c. Lots of lakes in all the hollows of fields. Remaining crop will diifficult to combine with such wet ground

Cow calved yesterday outside calf fine but she must have bruised her pelvic nerves( temporary paralysis although occasionally permanent) during calving and could not stand up again(a "downer" cow) No magic cure for this just patience and let bruising go down.Managed to milk her by hand for colostrum and got some into calf which we then took inside undercover.All this in sheets of rain and howling wind.

Cow on her feet this morning (much farmer relief) and will reunite with calf which is also bouncing in the nursery pen when she is steadier on her feet.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Like you, we are a bit unlucky as well NL with a constant stream of heavy showers coming in off the sea. Maybe a bit better come afternoon tho'. Glad to hear that cow and calf are doing well. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Daughter in Galashiels says sun is out and streets drying - but here ( 16 miles away) it's torrential heavy rain and the A7 is a river.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Daughter in Galashiels says sun is out and streets drying - but here ( 16 miles away) it's torrential heavy rain and the A7 is a river.

Aye, was the same for us this morning. Bright/a little overcast at fort SS but heavy rain and localised flooding on the other side of soutra concentrated around Fala. Seems a heavy band of showers moved through there overnight into the morning.

The differences across the lammermuirs is often quite stark like that, snow included.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

06_165_mslp850.png?cb=771

-5 uppers come agonisingly close at T165

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

-5 uppers come agonisingly close at T165

laugh.png You're just torturing yourself, don't do it.

A soggy old day today, just miserably pishy drizzle on & off but the ground (not tarmac) is saturated and every step a splash. Sunshine please doctor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Not been a bad day in Perth with even some sunshine to be had - the calm after the storm. Looking like tomorrow will be similar fare for here with cooler autumnal temps but some sun - which I shall enjoy whilst we have it!

Posted

Still wet here although I see by the radar we are about the only bit of the Firth with rain. Much calmer and currently 9.2c. Lots of lakes in all the hollows of fields. Remaining crop will diifficult to combine with such wet ground

Cow calved yesterday outside calf fine but she must have bruised her pelvic nerves( temporary paralysis although occasionally permanent) during calving and could not stand up again(a "downer" cow) No magic cure for this just patience and let bruising go down.Managed to milk her by hand for colostrum and got some into calf which we then took inside undercover.All this in sheets of rain and howling wind.

Cow on her feet this morning (much farmer relief) and will reunite with calf which is also bouncing in the nursery pen when she is steadier on her feet.

Took all day to get cow in as she would not accept calf when we took it back to here presumeably all scent washed off by rain.Finally got her in about 6.00pm with a bunch of other cows.Into race and gave calf a drink from her having fed calf in morning with artificial colostrum.She even started mooing at it YES!!!!! a result. A satisfying moment.

Drizzling all day here with one or two heavier bursts. Colder this evening which probably helped to get cows in at 8.5c

Posted

Just in from the coal face and greeted with a stunning bit of convective rainfall. Ironically the worst rain of the last few days.

post-7292-0-07368200-1348690445_thumb.pn

Posted

Evening all, just in from drive back from Guildford. 1000 miles, 2 days and more rain than I ever want to see again.

Some heavy bursts all up M40 and M6, and even a shower or three on M74!!!

A1 Northbound still closed J49 to A66

Currently overcast and 8C.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I seem to have 1 "warning point" - any one have any clue what that's about? It seems to be from 2008 and there's nothing to say what it's for, I didn't even know I had it until it showed up beneath my avatar. To my mind I've never been rude or offensive once on these forums :/

Edit: I'll message GrapMyGraupel about it; it seems to be filed under "unkown" in the "other" section, not sure what is going on there.

Anyway, quite a palatable evening in Glasgow, a bit wet but not windy or cold so I can't complain for a late September night!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

This is mair like it.

_63142122_icrebreaker.jpg

Mon the ice n snaw. We're ready fir ye ya bass. Gie it yer best shot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19740031

Posted

This is mair like it.

_63142122_icrebreaker.jpg

Mon the ice n snaw. We're ready fir ye ya bass. Gie it yer best shot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19740031

I see England have also invested in new equipment to clear up any aftermath of freezing temperatures (A chilly baltic -2C) and monstrous levels of snow (2 inches, possibly drifting to 4 inches in 30MPH gales)

article-1240629-07C5F9AF000005DC-608_306x423.jpg

Have you tried the river A68 this morning? Was like a road at some points.

Hairy moment when a lorry went through a huge puddle, soaking all the cars on my side to the extent we could not see at all for a good few seconds. Thankfully people were going slow, keeping a good distance and did not slam on the brakes, but everyone slowed to a stop gently.

A wild drive for sure.

The A68 is quite often like that, especially north of Soutra. Have almost come off the road a few times on that stretch of road, it is really poorly drained considering that the land around is not flat.

Plenty more to come by the looks of the charts. The soggy theme continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hmm, kinda nothing day here, started with the 1st glimpse of sun for a few days but went grey and drizzly then a bit breezy... then it got dark and I went indoors... where we are nice and snug apart from a slightly leaky roof.

I just get confused reading the MT. Some say the mobile pattern is to continue, then others start saying there's northerly blocking in the offing, without discussing matters to find whether they're really disagreeing and being nice about it, or just unsure.png like me.

Seen a couple of trees blown down near here from Tuesday's blowy spell, but overall I think we got off quite lightly - maybe Tuesday's blow wasn't really that bad compared to some winds we've had over the last 10 years or so. I think it does the trees some good to get a good testing occasionally, clears out some dead wood.

Posted

3rd... 12... hour shift.... in ... a row....broken... C'mon Friday night !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Well believe it or not we're having wintry showers here this morning! Just had a shower of mixed hail and sleet. Temp currently 3.8C, Dew point is 2.7C, wind chill is -0.6C!

Update: Temp and dew point still falling, currently at 3C & 1.9C.

Edited by Hagar