Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2012/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

First snow to appear in Canadian forecast for this season

Nice to hear that c m I will waiting to see if it comes about ,find the forcasts change ever 24hrs

From the weather office your link is from at the time of posting its a forcast Monday A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 1. High 9.

About 80 miles North in Carmacks Monday A mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. Low zero. High 8.

Carmacks has a webcam at the airport maybe some white suff on the screen come Tuesday morning. Posted Image If its working http://www.metcam.na...&cam=290〈=e

www.yr.no is going for sleet in whitehorses and snow in Carmacks ........subject to change.

less snow about today.post-15601-0-38373900-1347023686_thumb.g but longyearbyen going for a snow line lowering down the mountain event again. http://www.svalbard-images.com/

Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted

Item coming up on BBC News in 5 minutes about exceptionally low Arctic ice cover. 'Twill be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Item coming up on BBC News in 5 minutes about exceptionally low Arctic ice cover. 'Twill be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Same old same old… what is a bit more interesting is that CryoSat is about to start mapping the ocean bed of the Arctic in addition to its day job of measuring ice melt/formation.

http://www.esa.int/e...Pcryosat_0.html

They know about the volcanic activity down there, so just maybe it has a part to play in the rate of ice melt — like an electric element in a kettle — it would explain the patchiness of ice melt.

http://www.canada.co...be-f48c0dc90304

Don't know what happened there… Edited now.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I reckon this winter is going to be a good one for snow, certainly a damn sight better than the previous one just gone!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hope u don't mind me asking but what makes u think think this winter's going to be good for snow? I hope your rite.

Posted

I reckon this winter is going to be a good one for snow, certainly a damn sight better than the previous one just gone!

The Winter ended up two or three hundred miles to our east would be very surprised if it happened again. maybe a mix of 2009 and 10

Posted

hope u don't mind me asking but what makes u think think this winter's going to be good for snow? I hope your rite.

my thinking on this is, Its been a number of years since we have had proper warm winters so if we are still in this cold cycle of winters there is a good chance of some good snow events, even if winter 2010 is not to be lived up to again. Edited by harshwintercoming

Posted

my thinking on this is, Its been a number of years since we have had proper warm winters so if we are still in this cold cycle of winters there is a good chance of some good snow events, even if winter 2010 is not to be lived up to again.

Well in some places it never really happened anyway, so we're still waiting, 1991 was that last really good one here for both snow and cold.

Posted

As cyclonic said a repeat of 2010 wouldn't be great here. Cold yes. Snow hardly any. Hopefully get something more interesting this year.

Same old same old… what is a bit more interesting is that CryoSat is about to start mapping the ocean bed of the Arctic in addition to its day job of measuring ice melt/formation.

They know about the volcanic activity down there, so just maybe it has a part to play in the rate of ice melt — like an electric element in a kettle — it would explain the patchiness of ice melt.

More like a cigarette lighter trying to heat a frozen pond - http://www.whoi.edu/...d=44586#sidebar

Do explosive volcanic eruptions on the seafloor of the Arctic Ocean contribute to the melting of the Arctic ice cap?

No, not at all. The Arctic Ocean is a huge reservoir of water that can readily absorb and disperse the heat and volatile gases from the volcanic eruptions at the seafloor.

To get a sense of how readily and easily the ocean disperses heat from the Earth’s crust, look at underwater volcanoes and hydrothermal vents in other regions of the ocean. At hydrothermal vents, scientists have found mineral-rich fluids with temperatures approaching 400°C (750°F) spewing out of the Earth. But if you measure temperatures just a few meters above or to the side of a vent, water temperatures return to just 2° to 3°C (35° to 37°F). And if you are floating on the ocean surface and a deep-sea volcano or vent erupts thousands of meters below, you wouldn’t detect a change in ocean temperatures.

The water in the Arctic Ocean is stratified—layered like a cake—with lighter layers lying atop denser layers of water, like oil atop water. (Colder and/or saltier seawater is denser than warmer and/or less salty seawater.) Waters in the Arctic depths remain trapped near the bottom. They do not mix much with surface waters. Almost no heat is transmitted all the way up to the underside of the ice.

During many Arctic expeditions, scientists have studied the movement of water, heat, and chemicals in the depths of the Arctic Ocean . They have found that heat and other emissions from the Arctic seafloor do not rise much higher than 500 to 1000 meters up from the ocean bottom. The volcanoes under the Arctic sea ice are 3,000 to 4,000 meters (approximately 2.5 miles) below.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Currently -12c in Alert Canada and has been well below zero for past week at least Posted Image

http://uk.weather.co...-Alert-CAXX0829

82.4667° N, 62.5000° W

Don't know if this has any significance to ice in that area :)

Edited by quest4peace

Posted

As cyclonic said a repeat of 2010 wouldn't be great here. Cold yes. Snow hardly any. Hopefully get something more interesting this year.

Did not know you had so little http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leicester/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_9260000/9260306.stm compared with say
I think Lincolnshire nicked it off you! the way it was coming down from Norway and Sweden, good luck this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

We had around 15cm in January and 25cm in December 2010.. bad thing about December 2010 though was the winds switched to NW later in the month and the Pennines made sure we got no snow.. we had a low number of snow lying days that month compared to other areas. Very cold though, everything was frozen.

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Posted

Well in some places it never really happened anyway, so we're still waiting, 1991 was that last really good one here for both snow and cold.

When I said this 'my thinking on this is, Its been a number of years since we have had proper warm winters so if we are still in this cold cycle of winters there is a good chance of some good snow events, even if winter 2010 is not to be lived up to again. '

I was thinking of the Country in General terms of what is possible in response to the previous posters statement

'I reckon this winter is going to be a good one for snow, certainly a damn sight better than the previous one just gone!' and then the question in reply to it of hope u don't mind me asking but what makes u think think this winter's going to be good for snow? I hope your rite.

looking up the discription of winter 1990-1991 In the United Kingdom the snow was brought in by a cold easterly wind.[10] At first it was mostly concentrated in the eastern counties of England, although it quickly spread inland. By the evening of 6 February many parts of England and Wales were experiencing snow showers, and by the following morning many areas woke to a covering of powdery snow. Along with this came a severe frost coupled with sub-zero temperatures, and heavy snowfalls which continued to fall throughout the day. Temperatures were as low as −11.7 °C(10.9 °F) and did not exceed −5 °C(23 °F) in many areas. Snow depths were in excess of 10 centimetres (3.9 in) across England and drifted in the easterly wind. On higher ground levels reache 30 centimetres i

It would seem thats cold easterly wind is you best hope for a decent amount of snow , I've heard http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19496674 that the ice melt may produce more easterlies this winter so lets hope the easterlies do a better job than they did last year...Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

At my location i recorded a maximum depth of 29cm in Jan 10 and 23cm in Dec 10, epic year.

Posted

At my location i recorded a maximum depth of 29cm in Jan 10 and 23cm in Dec 10, epic year.

I struggle to imagine this winter doing that even with my name tag!

Posted

Currently -12c in Alert Canada and has been well below zero for past week at least Posted Image

http://uk.weather.co...-Alert-CAXX0829

82.4667° N, 62.5000° W

Don't know if this has any significance to ice in that area Posted Image

will post again in a couple of days to see if it has Posted Image -15 and snow forecast for Tuesday! http://www.yr.no/place/Canada/Northwest_Territories/Alert/long.html

post-15601-0-76810800-1347115584_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

will post again in a couple of days to see if it has Posted Image -15 and snow forecast for Tuesday! http://www.yr.no/pla...Alert/long.html

Cheers :) Looks a like a steady fall at the mo then Posted Image I picked alert as the example because of how relatively close to the pole it is land wise Posted Image

Edited by quest4peace

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Winter 09/10 was from the East. I like to call it Beast from the East, or Siberian Express. The winter of 10/11 came from the North. I think. I may have them the wrong way round. Both were Epic winter compared with last winter (Warm and wet) . I remember 07/08 was a cold one, especially for Scotland. Not so much snow south of the North of Scotland though.

Depending on where the winter comes from, East or North, it will produce different snow levels across the country, but hopefully plenty of cold. A repeat of either one will suit me. Plenty of snow to go boarding up north! 09 was my favorite though. With a good 3ft locally, and 15 feet drifts on Cairngorm... That will do nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

How much did you get in the latter half of December 10? It seems that western parts of Leeds got around 2 or 3 cm at best, very disappointing.

Posted

Latest snow and ice map developments for your interest.

After a recent big improvement there is now little negative snow anomaly left (there was more now last year)

post-15601-0-81453900-1347150093_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

How much did you get in the latter half of December 10? It seems that western parts of Leeds got around 2 or 3 cm at best, very disappointing.

I recorded the maximum on Dec 3rd so about the same. It almost melted mid month but held on for a total of 25 days. I would have liked a couple more events but in terms of temperature and stupid amounts of sunshine it was perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Latest snow and ice map developments for your interest.

After a recent big improvement there is now little negative snow anomaly left (there was more now last year)

post-15601-0-81453900-1347150093_thumb.j

Some pixels appearing in Norway.