Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Only Another 7 Weeks Until...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

well with the weather as bad as it is the next 2 weeks coming look no better , the winter lovers will soon becoming out of hibernation on here soon much early them they normally do!!

:rofl:

You were saying?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Time marches on. Just saw my first combine harvester of the year heading for a field full of ripe rapeseed.

Yep as we enter August I find that trees start to look a little tired and lose that fresh green colour they have in May, June and early July. By the end of August I notice the first of the trees turning.....add to this the noticeable shortening daylight and I don't mind August too much at all usually as there's still a lot of useable weather around; same with September.

Posted

Yep as we enter August I find that trees start to look a little tired and lose that fresh green colour they have in May, June and early July. By the end of August I notice the first of the trees turning.....add to this the noticeable shortening daylight and I don't mind August too much at all usually as there's still a lot of useable weather around; same with September.

Spotted loads of 'Lords and Ladies' in the hedgerows this morning - always a harbinger of Autumn !!

Posted

Is it me or have we seen spectacular greenland high's for the last 2 summers lasting ages followed by high pressure dominating over the UK in the winter lasting ages.

If that was the other way round it would be unbelieveably good for those that like warm weather and cold weather surely - rather than the dross we have had last summer and last winter and now this summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Is it me or have we seen spectacular greenland high's for the last 2 summers lasting ages followed by high pressure dominating over the UK in the winter lasting ages.

If that was the other way round it would be unbelieveably good for those that like warm weather and cold weather surely - rather than the dross we have had last summer and last winter and now this summer?

Yep ever since the severe cold of November and December 2010 winter months since then have been pretty mild and dry bar the odd short cold spell

September of late have been very good for an Indian summer last September and early October was lovely a high of 29.2°C was recorded at Cambridge and Sutton Bonington (Nottinghamshire) on the 30th

And not forgetting that October started even hotter with a high of 29.9°C at Gravesend (Kent) on the 1st

Just goes to show with the right set-up we can still get hot weather well into Autumn

good.gif

Posted

Yep ever since the severe cold of November and December 2010 winter months since then have been pretty mild and dry bar the odd short cold spell

Whilst last winter was a shocker in terms of snowfall amounts around here(1-2CM from an unexpected snowfall event in December was the best we done last winter), I still don't think people realised just how close we were potentially getting one of the most severe spells of cold weather we have experienced in this country since goodness knows when. Instead the really frigid cold unstable air just stayed more towards Eastern Europeion countries where of course it made the headlines. The set up just did not quite clicked to bring the cold air as far West as the UK unfortunately so I kind of disagree with your statement there personally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Whilst last winter was a shocker in terms of snowfall amounts around here(1-2CM from an unexpected snowfall event in December was the best we done last winter), I still don't think people realised just how close we were potentially getting one of the most severe spells of cold weather we have experienced in this country since goodness knows when. Instead the really frigid cold unstable air just stayed more towards Eastern Europeion countries where of course it made the headlines. The set up just did not quite clicked to bring the cold air as far West as the UK unfortunately so I kind of disagree with your statement there personally.

I agree.

At one point it was literally a couple of hundred miles away over the channel.

I am optimistic for this winter, I think a slight El Nino will help.

Posted

Spotted loads of 'Lords and Ladies' in the hedgerows this morning - always a harbinger of Autumn !!

With berries already?

Definitely autumnal.

Posted

Not yet, a nice reminder this week for the south of what month we are in, still time yet for another hot spell, we could still break the UK record yet for the hottest ever temperature still time, summer isn't finished yet

I think that is highly unlikely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I agree.

At one point it was literally a couple of hundred miles away over the channel.

I am optimistic for this winter, I think a slight El Nino will help.

Last winter, snowfall-wise, was decent in southern and eastern areas of England - here we got 15cm in one day, Church Fenton got 16cm, even central London got a decent amount - but I realise for other areas it wasn't as good. The winter months have definitely not been mild since December 2010 - January 2011 was average, January 2012 wasn't too mild, it had a mini-cool spell mid month (lakes froze solid here), and February 2012 was cold, even though the coldest weather stayed in Europe. Snow was present for over a week here.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Big fat green ones !! Holly tree in the garden full to bursting with berries also...

Yes, loads of berries on our holly bushes and the barley field down the road is a sea of gold now.

Posted

A lot of cloud around here and it detectable that the nights are drawing in now.

They certainly are.

The onset of August coincides with a sunset of 21.00 for my location, always a milestone on the journey to summer's exit and a taster for the joys of autumn.

Posted

The winter months have definitely not been mild since December 2010 - January 2011 was average, January 2012 wasn't too mild, it had a mini-cool spell mid month (lakes froze solid here), and February 2012 was cold, even though the coldest weather stayed in Europe. Snow was present for over a week here.

May I ask how is January this year, with a CET of 5.4C not mild? What about December 2011? February 2011 I believe would come into the 'very mild' category. There certainly have been more 'mild' months than 'cold' months since December 2010. I had blossom coming out in mid January this year!

Posted

May I ask how is January this year, with a CET of 5.4C not mild? What about December 2011? February 2011 I believe would come into the 'very mild' category. There certainly have been more 'mild' months than 'cold' months since December 2010. I had blossom coming out in mid January this year!

It may have been mild in certain parts of the UK but not everywhere. December 2011 was very mild in the south but in Scotland it was slightly below average and a decent winter month and I've seen a lot more mild winter months than February 2011 and that month did have a wintry element to it. January 2012 had a very mild first half but in certain parts of the country the second half did have a fair amount of colder weather that almost cancelled out mild start.

Posted

It may have been mild in certain parts of the UK but not everywhere. December 2011 was very mild in the south but in Scotland it was slightly below average and a decent winter month and I've seen a lot more mild winter months than February 2011 and that month did have a wintry element to it. January 2012 had a very mild first half but in certain parts of the country the second half did have a fair amount of colder weather that almost cancelled out mild start.

I can only speak for England as that's where I've been for the past few winters. February 2011 was the 9th mildest in 100 years in England. I certainly haven't experienced many milder in my lifetime! It was 2C above the 71-00 average across the UK. If that's not a mild winter month I don't know what is. January 2012 was 1.5C above the 71-00 average in England and 1.3C across the UK. If the Met Office class it as a mild month that's good enough for me.

Posted

So as to avoid making a new topic can anybody answer me this? When does the autumn thing start for the leaves i.e. turning different colours? I've noticed already some leaves losing their colour turning yellow

It varies but principly sunlight is the main instigator.

What kind of blossom ..as there are varieties of trees which blom in winter as they ar none native.

Posted

I can only speak for England as that's where I've been for the past few winters. February 2011 was the 9th mildest in 100 years in England. I certainly haven't experienced many milder in my lifetime! It was 2C above the 71-00 average across the UK. If that's not a mild winter month I don't know what is. January 2012 was 1.5C above the 71-00 average in England and 1.3C across the UK. If the Met Office class it as a mild month that's good enough for me.

January 2012 was barely mild here - in fact it was downright average in almost every single, bar sunshine (above average)

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Maybe I'm talking from an IMBY perspective, because January this year did not have a mean temperature anywhere near that figure. (IMBY, mean temperature 4.2c, rainfall 57.7mm, air frost on 10 days, low temperature -6C)

December 2011 and February 2011 were mild virtually everywhere, bar Scotland, and January 2011 was super 'average'. There were no flowers coming out here in January, and that could easily be blamed on the very mild late December period, temperatures reached 13C here on boxing day with lows above 8C!

Edited by Aaron