Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Noticed The Reduction In Daylight Hours Yet ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Anyone else seeing the leaves turning a tint of brown earlier on the trees? In recent years its been October before they've started to turn here, but the sycamores are turning already. Could the wetness of the summer have something to do with it?

There is nothing whatsoever exciting, pleasant or interesting in temps 2-6c

Yet add a 2C before 2C to 6C and you find it much more exciting and pleasant, those 2C to 6C maxs are great for long distance walks, it can be sunny with those temps you know, your propaganda of temps average to below average = dull weather is very tiring indeed, troll like infact.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yet add a 2C before 2C to 6C and you find it much more exciting and pleasant, those 2C to 6C maxs are great for long distance walks, it can be sunny with those temps you know, your propaganda of temps average to below average = dull weather is very tiring indeed, troll like infact.

Propaganda eh.. wasn't aware a personal opinion was akin to promoting a government sponsored agenda! Troll like too - this gets better & better!

Can't say I do many long distance walks at those temperatures mostly since the short daylight hours severely limit the time you have to complete your walk (and being plunged into darkness in an unfamiliar location with no lighting is a safety issue). It takes at least 1 to 2 hours driving from here to decent walking locations (Peak District) so to do a long walk starting at 0830 (a start time giving you ample time even in December) means leaving here at 0630. I'd have a hard job selling a walk to our mates that means getting up in the dark at 0630 after a long week at work especially in the cold.

But yes of course you can have some lovely days in 2-6c range with sunshine - no doubt. Just compared to much warmer or much colder weather its just a sort of no-mans land thats all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I like the variety in the daylight hours here. There's something almost exotic about the short winter days, for example in December 2010, the sun was low in the sky, very low, and there was a blanket of snow.. it felt like I was in Scandinavia or something.

It's beautiful when that happens. There's far too much concrete grey in our lives and when it snows all of that is hidden. Snow can turn the most ugly of places into a wonderland.

Posted

Well this morning it was dark until 0645hrs and the lounge light is on already, for a sunset around 1936hrs. Plus today was the first full day of wearing a jumper at work a sure sign the seasons are changing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Sadly so yes the restrictions are tightening up now. Going out in a t-shirt in the evening is now quite a risk!

More annoying this autumn is now the missus has got a new job working in an area you don't want to be after dark outside rush hours. She had to work late *again* tonight and unlike the last few months where it didn't matter, the darkness is closing in. Even walking to the tram stop worries me so either she'll have to stop working late (fat chance), we'll have to fork out for taxis or we'll do like tonight - worry and her walk & talk to me on phone as she goes. What a pain!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well its marching on now- tomorrow sunrise here 0708am, sunset 0708pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Sunset is now 18:54 here, sunrise is about 06:58

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Sunset is now 18:54 here, sunrise is about 06:58

Almost equal to here in the Scottish Highlands in terms of sunlight; at the moment, sunset is 19:07 here, while sunrise is 7:08. That will soon change with us losing a lot of ground - not many months until it's a 08:56 sunrise and a 15:32 sunset unfortunately :/

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Days are now certainly 'drawing in', 2 minutes of daylight lost in the morning and evening each day, and only just a month away from the clocks going back. On wet cloudy days like today, dusk sets in around 6.30pm and it can be dark and dismal at 7.15 am still, however, on sunny days, it can still feel quite light..

However, there is a definate change in the feel of things by the end of September, it often feels very different to the start of the month as we enter the darker half of the year..

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

I'm not sure if I have the true definition of S.A.D but Wiki would lead me to think I had and have some of the symptoms and perhaps even more so this year. I am considering taking 5-HTP Serotonin supplements and wondered if anybody has tried them and with what results? I'm not looking for a medical discussion here as I have a GP to go to for that, but any experience/feedback, good or bad would be welcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've just doubled my Seroxat intake, Coasty... I think they help, but I know nothing about serotonin supplements??

Anywho, it's 'Daylight Robbery Day' on Sunday!aggressive.gif

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Posted

Cheers, Pete, I was looking for a 'natural' way to top up the Serotonin without resorting to prescribed tablets. I do have a light lamp/box but as you say, clocks go back this weekend and I don't think that change is a good thing necessarily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Has anyone tryed a daylight alarm clock?

I was thinking about trying one but wasn't sure how good they really are? Getting up for work in total dark is hard work.

Posted

Has anyone tryed a daylight alarm clock?

I was thinking about trying one but wasn't sure how good they really are? Getting up for work in total dark is hard work.

Yep I've got one and it really does help start the day. A slow rise in the levels using a 'natural light' bulb and then you generally wake up before the alarm goes off. My current issue is driving into and back from work in darkness and spending 95% of the day inside, it seems like there is no sun in my life.

Posted

No doubt tied-in with my hatred of warmth and light, but I find it easy to wake up and be instantly active in the dark season. Or it would be more accurate to say that I find sleeping difficult. For instance, the missus has 3 alarms (!) set for 7.30am to get the kid off to school etc. She really ought to know better by now and that I'm awake and bouncing around long before the alarms go off. 0615 this morning,bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and full of the joys of Autumn gloom. Love it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I must be one of the few people who are not affected by daylight hours. Really just isn't an issue for me.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I must be one of the few people who are not affected by daylight hours. Really just isn't an issue for me.

Me too.

To be honest, I actually quite like the dark mornings and evenings.

Went for a walk yesterday in the mist and gloom, it was brilliant! :)

Posted

Definitely harder getting up now. I'm lucky in that I get up no earlier than 0715 but with sunrise now way after this the house is extremely dull. The missus puts the lights on which I can't stand in the mornings - fill the house with sunlight to wake up to is great, fill it with fluorescent bulb light and I just hate it. I'd prefer to shower in total darkness than turn the blinding light on suddenly. This leads to bathroom conflicts in the dark season!

Today I just got in and had to put the lights straight on with it being so cloudy & dank. I miss coming home and opening the upstairs windows (long since passed) and will shortly miss that brief check round the garden on getting in.

Clock move Sunday - I know we debate this every time it changes on here but still I continue to say ditch GMT and stay on BST all year. The accident rate must go through the roof during next weeks evening rush hour with it suddenly plunged into darkness (not helped with half term being this week meaning a return of more traffic).

At least if we left it the darkness would slowly approach from both sides making it easier to adjust It - and only two months instead of four leaving work in the dark! Although an extra two with morning dark but then I'd rather it that way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

I notice it on the walk home in the evening as soon they will lock the park (when the clocks go back) and then I'll have to walk all the way around it.. Pain in the.....

Posted

I notice it on the walk home in the evening as soon they will lock the park (when the clocks go back) and then I'll have to walk all the way around it.. Pain in the.....

Yeah my missus has that issue although its more the safety aspect that will change her route. The walk she does is ok in daylight but not in darkness so its back on the tram or a walk the long way round for four months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, storms in summer or any extreme!

I have really knoticed the daylight hous getting shorter, especially as I get up at 7 and its pich black. Although, I have to admit I love getting up in he dark and watching the sun rise as I eat my breakfast :D In the last couple of days it seems to be getting dark earlier in he evening, but that may just be because it is generally murky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Yeah my missus has that issue although its more the safety aspect that will change her route. The walk she does is ok in daylight but not in darkness so its back on the tram or a walk the long way round for four months.

That sucks... roll on spring for her then!

Posted

Add me to the "not fussed" list. The same goes for weather, it doesnt effect my mood either. I tend to find the shorter days more "atmospheric", if you like. I, too, tend to be more alert and active in the darker/colder months. I enjoy the summer as much as the next man but there's something about an almost lack of real "night" in mid June that doesn't sit right with me.