Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 2

kold weather

Posted

Well what a depressing evening I had last night, reading about all the heavy snow, 50p size flakes etc etc in the london and south east thread :bad: lol

time to go check todays 12z's out, see if that block is still holding strong, I hear cold easterlys might be setting in again later this coming week, if they do I hope the outcome isn't the same as what happened this weekend! Still I can't complain, have seen snow falling, some winters I was lucky to see even a flake before it turned to rain.

trouble is we dont really want an easterly as they are never good for the SW now NW tend to be better they bring our best snow.

Edited by kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

trouble is we dont really want an easterly as they are never good for the SW now NW tend to be better they bring our best snow.

Just had to highlight that incorrect bit there, I can recall many occasions where easterly winds have brought heavy snow to my patch of the world from lp coming in against the block, and not wet snow either but that elusive powdery snow that blows about in the wind, fact is the attack was at the wrong angle to be of any good to us here last night, if it was from the south west it would have been much better & could have even ended up as a slider.

Easterly with an active sotherly jet delivers the goods here, we never had the southerly jet this weekend hence why it was no good for the south west, but to say easterly never deliver is not quite the case.

Edited by Smartie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Its true, entrenched cold from an easterly and then a stalled Atlantic front do bring our best snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Right everyone. Advise needed! I want a new weather station, wondering what youve all got? What do you recommend?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest from the 12z so far!

Starting relatively mildish tomorrow, but as the week progresses temps will be on the down again as we establish another continental feed! Possible Ice days come the end of the week and into the weekend for some!

Bone dry though this coming week, apart from the bit of light patchy rain spreading across the region tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well what a depressing evening I had last night, reading about all the heavy snow, 50p size flakes etc etc in the london and south east thread :bad: lol

time to go check todays 12z's out, see if that block is still holding strong, I hear cold easterlys might be setting in again later this coming week, if they do I hope the outcome isn't the same as what happened this weekend! Still I can't complain, have seen snow falling, some winters I was lucky to see even a flake before it turned to rain.

It wasn't that amazing, yes it was snowing but it was more like a thick drizzle of snow most of the time. I've seen far bigger flakes in the southwest. What we want is an easterly steered by low pressure to the south not high pressure to the north as they are often too dry for snow. Another Feb 2009 would be great. Failing that, a polar northwesterly like Dec 2009 and 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Latest from the 12z so far!

Starting relatively mildish tomorrow, but as the week progresses temps will be on the down again as we establish another continental feed! Possible Ice days come the end of the week and into the weekend for some!

Bone dry though this coming week, apart from the bit of light patchy rain spreading across the region tomorrow!

My met office app says light snow on thursday for a few hours?? ;)

Snow is melting fast still so shall be gone by morning now.

post-8911-0-88307900-1328462396_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

My met office app says light snow on thursday for a few hours?? ;)

Snow is melting fast still so shall be gone by morning now.

post-8911-0-88307900-1328462396_thumb.jp

Don't know where they got that from! HP dominated weather this week, and after tomorrow, predominetly dry and cold!

Posted

Looks like another crappy, boring week ahead on the winter weather front - this is going down as a bad winter and easily comparable to the ones of the late 90s/early noughties.

Did you know that an 'average' winter in our neck of the woods brings 6 to 7 snowdays with snow lying? (according to METO stats)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Looks like another crappy, boring week ahead on the winter weather front - this is going down as a bad winter and easily comparable to the ones of the late 90s/early noughties.

Did you know that an 'average' winter in our neck of the woods brings 6 to 7 snowdays with snow lying? (according to METO stats)

Really shows how turbo poo this winter has been

Posted

I know none of you care, but I'm quite excited as have just treated myself to a new weather station. Can't wait for it to arrive, what's the betting spring will come in the next 3-5 days?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

evening all.

found this handy web site, if you dont have a dew point thing on your weather stations.

it works it out for you,

http://www.dpcalc.org/

fromey

Posted

evening all.

found this handy web site, if you dont have a dew point thing on your weather stations.

it works it out for you,

http://www.dpcalc.org/

fromey

Thank you Fromey. I'm not sure if my new one will do it so could come in handy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

I know none of you care, but I'm quite excited as have just treated myself to a new weather station. Can't wait for it to arrive, what's the betting spring will come in the next 3-5 days?!

They're worth every penny! Which one did u get?

Posted

They're worth every penny! Which one did u get?

Ended up getting the oregon scientific WMR-80. My current la crosse one gave up just before the cold snap, was gutted as its the first thing I see everyday when I walk in the kitchen and I got used to it being there, I had to go to the car to see what the temp was! Only slight regret is its not one I can hook up to the Internet..

Posted

looks like a settled week ahead with variable amounts of cloud and a few frosts.

Get the feeling winter is slipping away...

Nice to see you got a new weather station khodds! :hi: In spring we can laugh at the terrible winter over a pint in the kings head and compare dew points ;) just don't tell my friends I have a weather problem! :ph34r:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

looks like a settled week ahead with variable amounts of cloud and a few frosts.

Get the feeling winter is slipping away...

Nice to see you got a new weather station khodds! :hi: In spring we can laugh at the terrible winter over a pint in the kings head and compare dew points ;) just don't tell my friends I have a weather problem! :ph34r:

Lol! As long as you don't tell mine! Actually, they already know, and they think I'm mad!

Posted

Lol! As long as you don't tell mine! Actually, they already know, and they think I'm mad!

Yes alot of mine know im interested but not the full extent. My brother pretends to be interested and then when it anoys him he tells me to shut up haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm , not hot , Sun ,

Yes alot of mine know im interested but not the full extent. My brother pretends to be interested and then when it anoys him he tells me to shut up haha.

you might be surprised ,your quite often quoted down the pub lol , keep up the good work , enjoying your weather station data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Amazing how quiet the MOD thread is....now a lot of people have got the snow they wanted, add the fact apparently the 18z wasn't a brilliant run...no one can be bothered to comment on it! :lol:

High pressure is either close by or slap bang on top of us for the majority of the run. I really hope that 4 hours of snow this weekend isn't the only time we get it this winter... :rolleyes:

Here's hoping for the azores high to extend the Greenland...or another proper easterly but with the front stalling over us this time :p

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

you might be surprised ,your quite often quoted down the pub lol , keep up the good work , enjoying your weather station data

oh dear... lol Well another 2 months and i'll be looking for heatwaves and warm weather. Im currently working my way through a few books on weather and using a few of John holmes useful tutorials on studying weather. All very facinating. :D

Posted

Amazing how quiet the MOD thread is....now a lot of people have got the snow they wanted,

I'm not actually sure they did. I came up today from north Devon to London and there was only snow once I hit east Hants and then it was very thin. A slight covering in south London but it's above freezing even now and melting. It looks like only the eastern side really had something that held on. Quite a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth for instance in the North West regional thread!

It was sooo mild this morning in north Devon. I was working outside in a shirt: positively balmy 9C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm , not hot , Sun ,

I'm not actually sure they did. I came up today from north Devon to London and there was only snow once I hit east Hants and then it was very thin. A slight covering in south London but it's above freezing even now and melting. It looks like only the eastern side really had something that held on. Quite a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth for instance in the North West regional thread!

It was sooo mild this morning in north Devon. I was working outside in a shirt: positively balmy 9C!

i know many on here like the cold and snow , but a warm melt day after a heavy fall is lovely ,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

i know many on here like the cold and snow , but a warm melt day after a heavy fall is lovely ,

It's much nicer for snow to melt on a mild/warm sunny day than a grey, mizzly day like today in the southeast. It also melts a lot quicker and misses the horrible slushy interlude that makes the roads look covered in the runs.

Posted

3.3c here already, darn it! This gives the resident work' know it all' something to gloat about as we had a big discussion last week where I said cold and he said warm.

That's the last time I listen to you lot and your Fl charts! And don't even get me started on those midweek snow charts. :D