Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Weather-history

Bbc Weather 24th June 1994: "one Of Matisse's Lesser Known Works"

Something we haven't seen much of the last couple of summers, some really intense thunderstorms. 24th June 1994 was a hot day for much of England and Wales and it went bang that evening in the SE. The radar image shown on the forecast was spectacular prompting John Kettley to call it "one of Matisse's lesser known works in the broadcast.

http://youtu.be/MTLTnz-g57g

I'm really enjoying these "golden oldies" Mr Data, keep up the good work :)

Would you happen to have the forecast covering the massive overnight storms which swept up through the Midlands in early August of the same year? I recall it was during the time of the 2nd test vs South Africa (Aug 4th-8th 1994) at Headingley.

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

It was the night of the 3rd/4th August 1994- even the Tyne and Wear area got heavily hit that evening. Indeed the period 24th June-4th August 1994 was characterised by frequent southerly winds and thundery outbreaks, which culminated in a notably hot, humid and thundery spell starting 24th July.

This was the thundery night that scared our previous collie witless and she over-reacted ridiculously to any sort of bang from then on.

Here's another thundery plume from the 1st of July 1994, I will be uploading a few of these from that summer

Edited by Mr_Data

This is from the 4th of July 1994. Storms had struck the SE overnight and Michael Fish talks about the huge storms over Europe

Edited by Mr_Data

This from the 30th July 1994. Remember these ones, had a thunderstorm during the afternoon and hen another on during the late evening. It really was the summer for thundery plumes

I remember the 3rd/4th August thunderstorms very well and they were more severe than indicated on the forecast. My parents' house actually got hit by lightning that evening, and there were two separate thunderstorms- one around 4-6pm and another towards sunset, which rumbled on past midnight.

I don't remember a murky start on the 4th- it was sunny all day in the North East and quite hot (up to 26C).

As the forecast on 30 July indicates the Tyne and Wear area got hit by significant thunderstorms that day too, but I was away from the region that day.

And these are the videos one of our members filmed of that very storm! What a beauty!

One of the first storms I remember.

25 years since this meteorological masterpiece 

ZlaFyw7.png

Video footage from that evening

Good old John Kettley

So '94 and 2004 were both very thundery summers. Could 2014 be described in a similar way? There was that huge thunderstorm on the evening of 18th/19th July, but can't remember much else.