Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Radar V6 Issues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

I'm having some problems with the new V6 radar but am conscious that it might be specific to me / my netbook as it's (by design) small & not powerful....?

I have a netbook running W7 Starter (SP1) and Firefox 8.0.1

Spec (admittedly low but serves my purposes in class @ college / downstairs @ home) is: Intel Atom CPU N280 @1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel Graphics: 32Bit, 1024x600

These are the settings I use for V6:

1. Show Scale
  2. Lightning On
  3. Animation On (1hr)

And these are the problems I'm experiencing:

1. Animation randomly stops & has to be restarted
  2. I really miss the use of the floating tool called "Show Remote" as available on the "GFS key weather charts" radar - is this likely to become available?
  3. Postcode Zoom makes the rainfall unpleasantly pixellated. Zooming twice using the + button on the map is just about bearable but basically it appears on my netbook that any zooming in results in awful graphics

Any advice gratefully received :huh:

Posted

Hi PP, the pixelled graphics could well be related to your screen resolution - but that said the radar is naturally pixelled as it's resolution is 1km x 1km and the most accurate way of showing that is by using 1km squares. We may well introduce a smoothed version soon as some people prefer that though.

I've not seen anyone else reporting an issue with the animation, roughly how long does it run for before restarting?

Paul

Posted

Hi Paul

The animation stops as soon as I change tabs within Firefox to look at something else but is that normal? I'll run it again as the main window today and see how long it lasts and let you know.

Re the floating "Show Remote" tool is that feature likely to be implemented? Reason I ask is purely selfish - my screen on this netbook is so small that to see my area (south coast) on the map means moving the screen down and I lose the time counter on the top right hand side of the map :mellow:

Posted

When you say look at something else - is that within nw extra or just another site? If it's extra then yes - there is security on there which will only allow you to use one page at a time.

The remote control isn't something we'd ever thought of putting onto the radar but since you mention it there's no reason why we can't and I'm sure quite a few will find it useful so I'll have a look at getting it added pretty soon for you :)

I have just been watching the animation (firefox 9.1) for the past ten minutes and it appears that when the next five minute update arrives the animation control button goes to stop without me doing anything, maybe this should happen?. I suppose this could be happening to PP whilst you are changing tabs if you catch it at the correct time.

I'm not a computer buff but it seems like the frames that load when you select the animation don't delete the first and then add a new one when the latest update comes through.

Cheers

Chris

Posted

Hi Paul

I meant I switch from the NW v6 radar tab to a different tab I have open so if that's a security thing then that explains why the animation stops.

As Chris says I am also on Firefox 9.0.1 and he has hit the nail on the head with the animation problem I'm experiencing! I loaded it at 17:33 and at the 17:35 update the animation stopped (the "Anim off" button was automatically selected, not by me). The map wasn't animated although it was flashing frequently with 17:35 showing as the latest update time. This continued until the 17:40 and 17:45 updates and has been the same ever since (no animation but "flashing" instead). Is that supposed to happen because if so it means we have to manually select "Anim on" at every 5 minute update... :unsure:

Posted

Hi Paul, radar seems stuck on 1745

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

yup feed has gone down

Posted

I was about to post here and say "yay Paul - I see the remote!!!" which I do but I also agree with Dallas - the "latest" time is showing as 1745 which is over an hour ago. Thanks a million for the remote tho - is there any chance of it showing the day & time like the GFS remote does please?

(sorry, didn't want to ask for too much lol) :blush:

Posted

Hot off the press from the Met Office:

Due to a technical fault there will be a delay to the transmission of bulletins, via FTP transfer from the UK Met Office.

The fault has been resolved and all the data has been produced, however the bulletins are now in a queue. It is anticipated the delay will be approximately 30-45 minutes and we will issue an update when the data has been sent.

Posted

Thanks for the remote Paul, very useful. Is it possible though to get it to show the time as displayed on the top right of the map instead of saying "latest" please? The GFS remote gives the option to animate / not animate plus it also shows the corresponding day, date and run. Is that something that V6 could also have at all please (just time would do)? :happy:

Posted

Hi Paul, any chance of putting a slight delay at the end of the animation

There is a short delay there already, not sure how easy it is to put any additional delay in but I'll find out.

Thanks for the remote Paul, very useful. Is it possible though to get it to show the time as displayed on the top right of the map instead of saying "latest" please? The GFS remote gives the option to animate / not animate plus it also shows the corresponding day, date and run. Is that something that V6 could also have at all please (just time would do)? :happy:

I think we should at least be able to get the time in for you :)

Posted

I think we should at least be able to get the time in for you :)

My hero! :air_kiss: