Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Barometer Help!

Posted

Hi

Im a total newbie to barometers so I hope someone can help me. I recently bought a very pretty barometer off ebay and the seller assured me that it was working. I believe it is, but I just cannot understand how to work it!

It is a shortland SB compensated barometer. with a black needle with an arrow and a brass needle that is turned by a knob on the front.

Ive been told that the black needle with the arrow is adjusted by turning a tiny screw in the back. Fine! Only I dont know what to adjust it to lol! Plus, it doesnt seem to move as I turn the screw!

Ive also grasped that the brass needle's purpose is to show whether the pressure is rising or falling- by synchronising both black and brass needles at first and then observing the difference between the two.

I also have no idea what the inches are- or the numbers 26-31 around the dial are for.

I live 134m above sea level, if that helps anyone!

I woudl be grateful for any help or suggestions!

Ginger

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi

Im a total newbie to barometers so I hope someone can help me. I recently bought a very pretty barometer off ebay and the seller assured me that it was working. I believe it is, but I just cannot understand how to work it!

It is a shortland SB compensated barometer. with a black needle with an arrow and a brass needle that is turned by a knob on the front.

Ive been told that the black needle with the arrow is adjusted by turning a tiny screw in the back. Fine! Only I dont know what to adjust it to lol! Plus, it doesnt seem to move as I turn the screw!

Ive also grasped that the brass needle's purpose is to show whether the pressure is rising or falling- by synchronising both black and brass needles at first and then observing the difference between the two.

I also have no idea what the inches are- or the numbers 26-31 around the dial are for.

I live 134m above sea level, if that helps anyone!

I woudl be grateful for any help or suggestions!

Ginger

Hi ,Your Barometer is similar to the one Ive got! Now the inches are a old way of measuring Air pressure. If it helps I will give you a guide to translate inches to Millibars. 28 inches is about 950mbs, 29 inches is about 985mbs, 30 inches is a 1018 mbs and 31 inches is around 1052 mbs. The black needle moves either back of forward depending if pressure is falling or rising and the brass needle helps you to see if the air pressure is changing by the last time you lined it up with the black needle. Your about 400 feet elavation so it may be worth checking out the gfs chart viewer on here for your local barometer reading. The little screw on the back of the barometer "should" move your black needle forward and backward to set your reading. Anyway if you need anymore info please let me know...Ian.

Posted

Thank you so much Ian! That is very helpful information. I have now managed to adjust it to correspond with our current reading, after a bit of fiddling around with it. Many thanks once again :hi: