Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Career In Meteorology

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Hi there! I'm quite young (14), but I'm starting some GCSE's this year, it got me wondering, about life choices, and I do want to be a meteorologist.

What would be the requirements? Any good courses out there in Uni (if I get there)? Durham uni is 3rd in Geography and Environmental Science - but Bristol, UEA, St Andrews and Reading are also in my mind - I know I'm quite young, but I may aswell attempt to plan ahead?

What I'm thinking about doing (or at least try):

GCSE - A's or A*'s in Maths, Science, Geography and English

A-Levels - A* Physics/Geography, A Maths and English

Degree - Meteorology (UEA, Reading), Geography/Natural Science/Environmental Science (Durham)

Post-grad, PhD hopefully?

Anyone care to lend a hand in shaping a nice little career path for moi? :)

Much appreciated, IF.

Posted

It's always good to plan ahead, especially with the state of education in England at the moment. From what i've seen, the more maths you can do the better. Meteorology seems to be a fairly maths heavy subject (lots of integration by parts), would have loved to have done it myself but my maths just isn't good enough to cope with the equations you have to deal with (C in A-Level maths on Edexcel). I'd recommend doing Further Maths if your school offers it, but other than that looks like you have a good set of subject choices there (I did Geography, Maths and Physics).

I think a few people have done Meteorology at UEA and Reading here, so hopefully they'll give you some more useful feedback on the Degree-level aspect of it.

Posted

It's always good to plan ahead, especially with the state of education in England at the moment. From what i've seen, the more maths you can do the better. Meteorology seems to be a fairly maths heavy subject (lots of integration by parts), would have loved to have done it myself but my maths just isn't good enough to cope with the equations you have to deal with (C in A-Level maths on Edexcel). I'd recommend doing Further Maths if your school offers it, but other than that looks like you have a good set of subject choices there (I did Geography, Maths and Physics).

I think a few people have done Meteorology at UEA and Reading here, so hopefully they'll give you some more useful feedback on the Degree-level aspect of it.

Thanks for that - yes, the sixth form I plan to go to does further maths. Geography, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at A-level then? I'd imagine anything along them lines I guess. I need to A or A* GCSE maths and english and science first. Currently B in Maths, B in English and B in Science (2 years before final-resits).

Another thanks though Paranoid - and yep, with the mess we have now, planning ahead is crucial.

Posted

hi IF

The choice of a career in meteorology is now much wider than many years ago. Its not just the UK Met Office that you can work as a forecaster, there are a number of centres that provide forecasts for all manner of recipients; the retail trade, general commerce, civil aviation although the main users depend on the charts from Exeter which is one of 2 world aviation centres, the other being Washington. There are outlets to the media and the oil industry, farming, legal etc, so plenty of folk need meteorology, oh and local authorities of course along with transport.

If you decide to go with UK Met then you will need a degree in Meteorology and Reading is still seen by them, rightly or wrongly, as the best Uni.

I suggest you write to Reading and ask about a course and also to the Met Office.

good luck-its a fascinating career and I'm happy to chat via pm if you wish

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

If you decide to go with UK Met then you will need a degree in Meteorology and Reading is still seen by them, rightly or wrongly, as the best Uni.

Looks like four basic choices to start with, one with a year in Oklahoma! yahoo.gif

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/ug/ugbscmeteorology.html

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/ug/ugmmetmeteorologyokla.html

http://www.reading.ac.uk/maths-and-stats/

http://www.reading.ac.uk/maths-and-stats/

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I am a new member to the forum and back in July this year at my school i was told that indeed Maths was an important subject to have for meterology and especially if you wanted to work for the Met Office.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Hi there! I'm quite young (14), but I'm starting some GCSE's this year, it got me wondering, about life choices, and I do want to be a meteorologist.

What would be the requirements? Any good courses out there in Uni (if I get there)? Durham uni is 3rd in Geography and Environmental Science - but Bristol, UEA, St Andrews and Reading are also in my mind - I know I'm quite young, but I may aswell attempt to plan ahead?

What I'm thinking about doing (or at least try):

GCSE - A's or A*'s in Maths, Science, Geography and English

A-Levels - A* Physics/Geography, A Maths and English

Degree - Meteorology (UEA, Reading), Geography/Natural Science/Environmental Science (Durham)

Post-grad, PhD hopefully?

Anyone care to lend a hand in shaping a nice little career path for moi? smile.png

Much appreciated, IF.

You need to be out playing football, drinking cider in the park and demolishing a few bus shelters life is just too short!!!....14 indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I was originally interested in meteorology as a career but knew my maths wasn't up to it. Have a vested interest in the subject and have been told I have excellent presentation skills but decided to get my A at maths GCSE and take maths no further. Currently studying a combined Geog and Sociology degree so will probably have to keep the study of weather and climate as a hobby and go into the human side of geography- settlement planning, work within the council etc. My advice is that as you seem to be a very bright individual IF, follow your heart and go for what you want to do- meteorology. I know someone who has studied meteorology at Reading University so that seems like a reasonable target to me and yes I have heard it is very maths and physics intensive.

Good luck

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Study Meteorology at Reading. 'nuff said biggrin.png

Depending on your Mathematical ability, I would thoroughly recommend taking Further Maths at A Level. I did and I found it has helped quite significantly. But obviously don't take it if you don't think you'll get at least a B in it.

Reading is the best institute for teaching Meteorology in Europe, the uni is fantastic and I love the place in general. But get those grades first!

Regarding the four different choices at Reading, I originally wanted to to Maths & Met (I love Maths almost as much as the weather). But after speaking to the undergraduate director on the open day he strongly recommended I did pure Met if I wanted a career in it. If you apply for the Oklahoma course (a Masters) which is higher grade requirements and you don't meet those but you do meet the requirements for the BSc, you automatically get put on the latter.

Feel free to PM me with any questions though smile.png

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Cheeky_monkey - there's enough yobs on the streets round here doing that already (but I do play football, tennis and cricket a lot in the local greens and fields).

CreweCold - thanks for that :)

Nick L - thanks also, of course it's first about getting the grades and I'm definitely interested in maths so will hope to take further in sixth forn, along with physics and geography.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Cheeky_monkey - there's enough yobs on the streets round here doing that already (but I do play football, tennis and cricket a lot in the local greens and fields).

CreweCold - thanks for that smile.png

Nick L - thanks also, of course it's first about getting the grades and I'm definitely interested in maths so will hope to take further in sixth forn, along with physics and geography.

Thanks everyone for the replies smile.png

Hey Isolated Frost!

I am sure you will achieve all those goals!

As has been said, you seem to be uber bright for your age. I find it amazing that you are only 14 reading some of your posts (much better than the majority of mine! :) )

Anyway, good luck! Looking forward to your contributions this winter!

drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

CreweCold - thanks for that smile.png

Thanks everyone for the replies smile.png

Glad I could be of some assisstance :)

Posted

There are quite a few college courses that have Applied science that covers a fairly wide range of enviromental subjects as well as including Psychology, Physiology, Statistics for Scientists, Genetics, Informatics ect...

There is that option. Getting a Distinction would give you equivalent to 3 A-levels and would probably help further in attracting attention from your chosen universities.

Open university is pretty good from what I've heard.

Just some thoughts...

Edited by Optimus Prime

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I just received an offer from Reading University for the three year degree subject to completion of an Access to HE course. I made a right mess of my a-levels (failed 3 out of 4). because I was lazy and didn't care at the time. And having worked for 4 years in a job I wasn't really interested in and then going on to experience the netweather storm chase, I decided to refocus on a potential career in meteorology.

I attended a Reading University open day last summer and spoke to the admissions tutor and found that I could get on the course via a one year access to higher education course. I am currently halfway through it and really enjoying it. So there are other options.

Posted

Thanks! The specimen paper for tomorrow's chemistry looks tricky, but hopefully the real thing will be a touch easier. Limestone and alkanes/alkenes the major problems !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I just received an offer from Reading University for the three year degree subject to completion of an Access to HE course. I made a right mess of my a-levels (failed 3 out of 4). because I was lazy and didn't care at the time. And having worked for 4 years in a job I wasn't really interested in and then going on to experience the netweather storm chase, I decided to refocus on a potential career in meteorology.

I attended a Reading University open day last summer and spoke to the admissions tutor and found that I could get on the course via a one year access to higher education course. I am currently halfway through it and really enjoying it. So there are other options.

Excellent, good luck in the rest of your studies, I will hopefully be seeing you around in the department in the future!

And best of luck to you too IF :)

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Out of interest, has anyone been through the Open University route for building up a degree towards meteorology through the multiple courses you pay to sign up on?

Would be interesting to hear if it's worth looking into, as I'm currently in a full-time HNC electronic engineering apprenticeship. This finishes this summer, and I will be moving into the realms of a full-time work post in the civil service in the autumn (as long as I pass). I was thinking of maybe doing courses alongside work once the HNC is done and dusted.

I've always had a keen interest in observing the weather more than forecasting, although I realise these often go hand-in-hand. I would eventually like to persue a career in meteorology.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Out of interest, has anyone been through the Open University route for building up a degree towards meteorology through the multiple courses you pay to sign up on?

Would be interesting to hear if it's worth looking into, as I'm currently in a full-time HNC electronic engineering apprenticeship. This finishes this summer, and I will be moving into the realms of a full-time work post in the civil service in the autumn (as long as I pass). I was thinking of maybe doing courses alongside work once the HNC is done and dusted.

I've always had a keen interest in observing the weather more than forecasting, although I realise these often go hand-in-hand. I would eventually like to persue a career in meteorology.

I also looked into the OU route. The home study course for example is around £200 to do which I am interested in doing. Although I am not really looking for a job in the industry, my passion for meteorology gives me a reason to learn,

Has anyone taken this course that can shine a light??

Thank

Gee

Posted

I also looked into the OU route. The home study course for example is around £200 to do which I am interested in doing. Although I am not really looking for a job in the industry, my passion for meteorology gives me a reason to learn,

Has anyone taken this course that can shine a light??

Thank

Gee

Im doing open uni, I did the understanding weather short course and now doing an environmental studies degree :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Im doing open uni, I did the understanding weather short course and now doing an environmental studies degree :D

I was looking at doing that short course as a "taster" into what studying with OU is like before committing to anything like a full on degree. Would you recommend it? I've read some reviews and people have said that particular course was more practical and useful for grasping basics into what causes different weather scenarios, so I thought it might be worth doing.