Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

I can't say i'm overly impressed either with the Met Office comment "People should make the most of the weather while they can" Aye...should really have made the most of yesterday's rain....and todays often cloudy skies and 22c :rolleyes:

Egsbloodyzactly! It's so infuriating, and one more reason to hate these hideous, disproportionate NW/SE splits.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Nice of the BBC to give N/W a name-check (check out the last 20 seconds of the film).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14525366

Posted

nothing new there is there Paul as you know I've preached how much effect the weather has on sales of all manner of merchandise since being on here and did much the same within the Met Office BEFORE they decided to try and get in on the act.

Its an enormous field and IF a web site can get the confidence of a couple of the big retailers for forecasting 1-10 days ahead-you've made it!

Posted

Note weather outlook headline going for a splanish plume event with possible temps in the low 30's. High 20's absolute best we can expect this weekend and only reserved for London and the SE. Watch them quickly change the headline come Thursday - talk about getting people's hopes up. All summer they seem to chase elusive heatwaves, and in the winter elusive blizzards - always with words along the lines of ...' as we head towards... chance of things turning notably ... ' - I long ago stopped taking weather outlook seriously, net weather is much more level headed and a realist.

Posted

Well, that's it then according to this article!!! Posted Image

The best of the summer is over with unsettled weather forecast for the rest of the month and the Bank Holiday weekend, according to forecasters.

The Met Office has warned that most places in the country will experience a 'mixture of scattered showers or longer spells of rain in a predominantly westerly flow', dampening any hopes of a late flurry of sunshine or the 30C temperatures which hit the country on August 3 and June 27.

Rain is expected to be heavy at times, especially towards the north and west where there will be a risk of thunderstorms. Temperatures will cool to around 17C in the north of England and Scotland. The south and east are likely to see drier weather with temperatures of 20C and conditions are expected to 'be around normal for the time of year', according to a report in the Mail.

Temperatures will be lower in places where there is prolonged rainfall although forecasters expect them to rise gradually towards the weekend with the south west and Midlands enjoying most of the sunshine with temperatures of 22C.

MetCheck forecasts that autumn storms are likely towards the end of August, bringing with them cooler, unsettled weather. There is likely be some respite in early September when the weather becomes more settled although temperatures are unlikely to be hot.

This summer has only seen two days which forecasters classify as hot - when temperatures reach 30C - compared to the summer of 2006 which had 20 hot days.

Jonathan Powell, senior forecaster with Positive Weather Solutions, told the Telegraph: 'With the remainder of August looking somewhat gloomy, this summer really has been a stinker. Some parts fared better than others with the east and south-east head and shoulders above the rest. All eyes will be on the last big getaway of summer for the late August Bank Holiday but even that period looks poor at present.'

http://travel.aol.co...ay-forecasters/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well, that's it then according to this article!!! Posted Image

http://travel.aol.co...ay-forecasters/

And back in April or May Mr Powell said we'd get past 100 °F in the south and now he's saying this summer really has been a stinker. This guy is just an Attention Seeker, alway's has his name in the papers never get's the forecast right. Posted ImagePosted Image

Next the Daily Express will be running a front page story, "Coldest Winter Ever On It's Way" according to Jonathan Powell of Positive Weather Solutions. It's only a matter of time till this headline appears now.

Posted

http://www.dailymail...-Solutions.html

above is the forecast published in the usual daily rubbish in march i believe

If you go to Mr P's web site you will not find it in there, the wonder forecast they did for the Royal Wedding but NOT their summer forecast.

I try not to post in this thread about the gentleman-words like, no I'm not going to say-anyone not yet used to his tripe please keep reading it.

apologies folks it was for 2010!! mind you it was still wrong and I cannot find any reference to his 2011 summer forecast or should it be tripecast?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

http://www.dailymail...-Solutions.html

above is the forecast published in the usual daily rubbish in march i believe

If you go to Mr P's web site you will not find it in there, the wonder forecast they did for the Royal Wedding but NOT their summer forecast.

I try not to post in this thread about the gentleman-words like, no I'm not going to say-anyone not yet used to his tripe please keep reading it.

apologies folks it was for 2010!! mind you it was still wrong and I cannot find any reference to his 2011 summer forecast or should it be tripecast?

That was for Summer 2010.

Still a load of c*** though!

Posted

Sadly the daily express seem to have removed that 100°F artical off there site, if i can find it i'll post it here.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted

Found It here's what it said,

HOTTEST SUMMER EVER ON THE WAY

BRITAIN could be facing the hottest summer ever with temperatures hitting 101F, forecasters said last night. Blistering heat similar to 2003 – the warmest summer for five centuries – is “a real possibility”. But experts are warning of a lack of rain. While temperatures of 101.F (38.5C) will be welcomed by sun lovers, farmers are desperate after the driest spring on record.

Forecasters say there is no significant rain on the horizon and in June and July, temperatures are potentially going to be consistently high. As high pressure sets in next month, bringing prolonged spells of clear skies and unbroken sunshine, the heat is likely to rise to 95F. Paul Michaelwhite, of online forecasters Netweather, said: “It is not beyond that realms of possibility that we could see temperatures pushing up to the record 101.3F – and temperatures of 95F are certainly not out of the question.”

While there will be intermittent showers, there is no indication of sustained rainfall needed to replenish water supplies depleted by the past two virtually rain-free months. The lack of rain has led to fears of drops in crop yield, rocketing food prices and the risk of forest fires, which have already hit parts of the country. The driest spring since records began in 1910 has seen an average of just 61.3mm of rain going back to the beginning of March.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster at Positive Weather Solutions, described the continued lack of rain as “potentially devastating” and could “sow the seeds for an extremely difficult 2012”. “It is going to take a time to recover from this,” he said.

And if there is no sustained rain soon we are going to be seeing the effects of this, which could be very serious, next year. “The South-east looks like it is going to continue to bear the brunt of what could be a potentially devastating run of dry weather.”

He said the outlook for the summer was long periods of hot weather broken up by “violent” thunderstorms brought on by the extreme heat.

“There is a real possibility that the record temperature for England set in 2003 will be broken during June or July,” he added. “There is certainly a very good summer on the way, although there is no sign of desperately-needed rain, just spectacular thunderstorms.” In August 2003, the thermometer hit 101.3F in Brogdale, near Faversham, Kent, on the hottest day in British history.

On Monday, Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman warned against complacency at an emergency drought summit. The meeting was called after the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology warned large parts of southern Britain are suffering from a drought. The Environment Agency yesterday said although there were no hosepipe bans in place, water companies had asked customers to use water wisely. A spokesman added: “We are working with farmers and others to balance the water needs of people, businesses and the environment.

“It’s important that we all use precious water wisely at all times of the year, especially during dry periods.” National Farmers’ Union president Peter Kendall said: “Many farmers are increasingly being affected by these conditions. A return to normal conditions now will still result in a significant drop in yield at harvest time.”

http://www.express.c...ever-on-the-way

So that's what the Express posted on Saturday May 21,2011,

"There is certainly a very good summer on the way". I'd like to know where then? The Med? Certainly not here in the UK.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted

"Darling, make a note of the word 'tripecast'..."

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Just trawling throught the mail (which I do read because I enjoy sensationalist reporting) and spotted this

http://www.dailymail...UK-Ireland.html

What a weird thing to write about?

Surely if that much of greenland and everywhere else had melted, sea levels would have risen?

And why is the Aral Sea in there? We all know that it's only dried up because most of the river water that feeds it has been diverted for irrigation.

And you can clearly see the southern river that feeds it on the first picture, is gone on the second!

Meks ya laff dunnit?

Posted

Yes, the Aral Sea disaster has nothing to do with climate change! You'd think they'd at the very least do a bit of research on the subject before committing it to print.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say CH, that map makers are making this up? It certainly is a powerful image to see the two Greenland maps...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Greenland looks like that every summer and has done for a long time. Its coasts aren't permanently covered in snow, ya know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Got you Aaron, so really this is yet another example of the Warmist Conspiracy, they craftily drew a map of Greeland in summer whilst the older map was based on winter conditions?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

http://www.dailymail...ly-October.html

Forecasts of early snow for the UK, and NetWeather's Paul is

quoted in this Daily Mail online article.

BL Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

http://www.dailymail...ly-October.html

These guys are really starting to get on my nerves.

I want to know who the hell their so called 'forecasters' are. Because I can tell you now. I will egg their houses.

They are just insane. Net Weather predict an Indian Summer, which is clearly evident if you look at the pressure & 850hpa ensemble charts. As well as the ECMWF and the GFS. Yet despite the first prolonged spell of settled weather, the Daily fail mail take it to the next level by saying that snow is on the way?

Where Daily fail Mail? On the peaks of Ben Nevis, or the Scottish Highlands that get hit by snow early in the year anyway? Do they just like getting the weather wrong?

I can honestly say, if I was a weather forecaster for them, they would get less hate letters and complaints.

"Britain to be hit by SNOW in October... forecasters warn an early winter is on its way"

"Britain is about to experience an early winter, with snow expected to arrive as soon as next month, forecasters have warned.

Temperatures over the next three months will plummet to below average with one long-range forecaster predicting snowfalls in October."

I know that snow can fall in October. But come on. Get a grip!

Discuss.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1YWyaGKHd

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

What really peeves me off is the people who read it blame the Met Office.

Posted

What!!!! The Daily Mail wrong????? Haha, they can't even spell waist and put waste instead in one article. say's it all really. Written by monkeys, read by zombies.

Is there any chance of a snowy December again though? I suppose two years in a row is pushing my luck really, especially down on the South Coast.