Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2011/2012

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I agree. Get a good feeling that 2011 will be a more thundery and stormy year, with a chance of more storm shields shattering. I am also going to try harder slay all ya storm shields. No storm shall escape without a fight! :D Be great to see more good ol' bangers this Spring and Summer.

Ol' Bangers = RS's way to say a Thunderstorm. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

No thunder or lightning for me yesterday but the rest of Cheltenham did Lol. Always the way for me you see, had I been 20 minutes away I may have caught it lol :nonono: But still. I'm not giving up yet.:D

It's going to be a good year Yay :drunk::yahoo::D

Posted

We get this feeling every year. :D And towards the end of each year we're left feeling underwhelmed or just plain disappointed.

The UK just hasn't been under the right synoptics over the last few years for a proper thundery spell of weather. Last year we relied heavily on the 'upper trough and slack low pressure becoming centred over the country, resulting in slow-moving, convergence-type storms' setup. Those setups will rarely produce thunderstorms of moderate or strong intensity given that the vertical wind shear environment will be weak, with the jet and strong upper flows situated away from the region of best CAPE; the main threat in such storms will be heavy rainfalls in short timeframes.

Will just have to wait and see how it goes... but I'll say this year won't be as poor as last. Seriously.

Yeah, know exactly what you mean. :) Fingers crossed we get a more favourable set-up this year. And maybe even some Spanish-Plumes if we're lucky. But I agree that this year is likely to deliver more stormy/thundery activity this year. (lol, maybe I will not have to worry about slaying anyone's storm shield this year). :)

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Never mind "No Storms Club", I've been in the "No Cumulonimbus Club" since the 9th January, so at the moment, even a short sharp shower from a cumulonimbus would go down as an achievement! This is somewhat ironic as Norwich has served me well convection-wise between September 2007 and 29 November 2010. I'm not sure if I'll still be in Norwich come the summer (if I am, it probably won't be for the whole summer) so I won't necessarily be able to rely upon being in arguably the most thunder-prone city in the UK when the main season arrives.

We often do end up disappointed because the UK is nothing like as thunder-prone as many parts of continental Europe and when we do get thunderstorms they are often pretty weak affairs. Only parts of East Anglia, Lincolnshire and the SE, and locally the high ground to the east of Manchester, average 15+ days of thunder per year.

However we do stand a very high chance of beating last year- even here in Norwich there were only 6 thunder-days which is lower than any previous year at Norwich Weather Centre according to Tutiempo.net.

Posted

Agreed. Personally really wanna see some really heavy convective showers, especially with hail in them interluded by sunny spells. And big towering clouds. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Had only one storm last year in may! and so far this month 23 days of no rain wtf? maybe a storm can bring the totals back by end of month :whistling:

Posted

*sniff* :( No storms and/or heavy showers today around 'ere. Looks like too much misty cloud got in the way of the convective stuff and ended up with one/two light to moderate showers.

Ah well, least there are other chances this year and the latest ECMWF weather chart does show a bit of a thundery potential later on (though obviously this could still change).

Thunderstorms, do your worst! because' we will be ready for ya! (he he hee...) :aggressive:

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Last year was very disappointing. Hoping for loads of warm slack pressure in the SE this year. A bit like 2005 which was the last corking storm year here.

I need to check the terms and conditions for the no storm club though. I'm lucky enough to live in an elevated postion facing France/Belgium coast with little light pollution. We see lightning anywhere between here and there, but do I need to hear thunder in order to rip-up my membership?

Nothing seen so far by the way.

Posted

Four years, two rumbles of thunder and no lighting...this year please GOD be my year PLEASE.

I have to be the longest running member on here now...

Edited by sammie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

It's probably me Sammie lol. :pGFS has had my storm risk high all this week and nothing again has bloody happened arrrgghhh. I'm still going to emigrate to that country where they have a storm 364 days a year.:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Hhhm i dont really want to join but i just realised it will have been a year on may 1st since i last saw lightning! and i remember waiting a while just for that so i probably will miss anything tomorow like always.

Got a vid of 1 flash i recorded with pretty good audio

Good thing im moving to south africa soon were the lightning is brutal!

Edited by Daveweiser

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Haven't had a storm here since June 2009 and it seems like its been forever! I really do hope I get atleast one this year, will have to wait and see but it can't be any worse than last year with not a single storm! first year that has happened as far as i can remember :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Making an early escape from here this year. :lol:

Very much enjoyed our 2 hours of Thunder and BBQ at the same time. :D

Posted

Back in the no storms club for another year, never made it out of here last year. Hoping things will be better for 2011 :unknw: who knows!

kaz x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Last year was good for me - I experienced 2 good storms in the Autumn (at least 1 flash per minute) - that's good for Newcastle. And one in November was accompanied by 15cm of fresh snow, bringing the total to that exceptional 40cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Chances for yours truly of escaping the no-storms club today don't look good, what with all the action looking likely to be further east (now where have I heard that before?) and having missed out completely yesterday. We had a few spots of very light rain yesterday and that ladies and germs was it.

Posted

Haven't had a storm here since June 2009 and it seems like its been forever!

Me too! June 25th, 2009 to be precise.

Even though it's been almost 2 years I feel like I can't complain quite yet given how good a photo opportunity that last storm was.

Posted

Me too Stu :( althought they have forecast storms for today all week for me, and today the forecast has changed, tis no fair, I think I am gonna stomp me feet in temper.

Posted

the whole of the uk looks like it has broken out in a rash (lightning) but guess where there is none ..... you got it OVER ME :wallbash:...... sooooo frustrating ... and nothing on the horizon either

lol kaz

Posted

Nothing here in Solihull either although a few Cb towers did fire up around me from about 5pm onwards. (Typical!)

Phil.

Posted

** YAWNS **

Boringggggg................................ truly, utterly BORINGGGGG!!!!!!

I am fed up with this still, warm weather - me wants a storm!!!!!!!

** sees relentless tide of tumbleweed rolling past her **

Posted

SE Essex has gone from one of the Thunderiest areas to non existant in the last 10 years.

Not a whiff of Storms still here and not looking likely, until the Plumes move up from the SE We really dont stand a chance.

How much is the membership for another year :pardon:

Posted

SE Essex has gone from one of the Thunderiest areas to non existant in the last 10 years.

Not a whiff of Storms still here and not looking likely,

Maybe your taking it with you to the US this year :rofl: