Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Claudia

Fireball 6.48Am Today

I have been trying to find any reference to a fireball this morning at 6.48am ( I have written the time down and will verify if necessary) I was in bed facing my curtains with my eyes shut, I could see it had become light quickly opened them and it was bright outside the curtains, opened them and a bright streak went towards the sea on the Norfolk / Suffolk boarder and the surrounding sky was lit up but not right down to the horizon ! No I had not been drinking. Please if anyone has found any mention as I can not find any mention of an accident, fireball or anything !

The End is Nigh...but seriously....probably just a bright meteor. Beautiful no doubt and if it were the apocalyptic kind we'd be gone by now. Don't worry.:good:

The End is Nigh...but seriously....probably just a bright meteor. Beautiful no doubt and if it were the apocalyptic kind we'd be gone by now. Don't worry.:good:

Not to mention NASA would of picked up on it.

Or perhaps the start (slow start) of the meteor shower? :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/67533-star-gazing-live-and-quadrantids-2011/page__pid__2017547#entry2017547

Or a firework? It's new years eve.

I have been trying to find any reference to a fireball this morning at 6.48am ( I have written the time down and will verify if necessary) I was in bed facing my curtains with my eyes shut, I could see it had become light quickly opened them and it was bright outside the curtains, opened them and a bright streak went towards the sea on the Norfolk / Suffolk boarder and the surrounding sky was lit up but not right down to the horizon ! No I had not been drinking. Please if anyone has found any mention as I can not find any mention of an accident, fireball or anything !

Not sure which bit of the Norfolk/Suffolk border you're near, so can't suggest a specific society. So suggest checking with the relevant Suffolk/Norfolk societies via the Federation of Astronomical societies of Britain

http://www.fedastro.org.uk/fas/

If it wasn't the USAF playing silly eeejits, they are probably starting to compile sightings.

It's probably one of two things.

1. A meteor as Rocky Balboa said. The Quadrantids meteor shower does peak soon , at a rate of 100-120 an hour , so could have been an early one

or

2. A piece of satellite debris burning up in the atmosphere. This happens quite a lot , as stuff like screws and bolts from the satellites eventually fall back to earth.

Hope this helps :)

I did wonder about it being a firework backtrack but I dont know of one that would travel across the sky lighting it up, they are normally just up at an angle multiply or not and down !? I tried some of these societies once when I was trying to find a moon positioning compass (still looking, no I dont want a electronic thing but thank you they do look good) and did not find them helpful in fact not one bothered to reply so I cant say I would bother again. Probably better off asking the milkman he is around that time :o)

It's probably one of two things.

A piece of satellite debris burning up in the atmosphere. This happens quite a lot , as stuff like screws and bolts from the satellites eventually fall back to earth.

Hope this helps :)

Did not know that, I thought that all the debris always burnt up, got to be more careful when I go out.