Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 3 Counties And East Anglia Spring Weather Discussion

Cookie

Posted

You are correct.

The snow just gets compacted and then refreezes overnight, it took ages for it to fully clear on my estate when it snowed the last time.

Hmm... My sister has been able to get out of her estate for work, but she only drives a light little Fiat, while I'll be driving a large van. Temps look very cold aswell around Christmas, so it will be even more icy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

i've been looking at the fax charts, unfortunatley i'm useless at reading them. from what i understand the thick black lines are troughs/disturbances. Looking at the fax for 12pm saturday (t+84) it shows one of these clipping the north norfolk coast. If it does hit, is it likely to be snow?

regards

Posted

rich44. No radar is brilliant, they use cloud. They can help give a nowcast idea on what is around and what way it is evolving and moving

I allways think it is handy to track snow from reported locations and see where it is heading

Posted

well northamptonians have a smile on their faces now :smiliz19:

5am this morning light snow started to fall, by 8am about 5 inches had fallen. to the villages about 2 miles north of Northampton pitsford, chapel brampton a good 6 inches had fell.

M1 closed near junction 15, A45 between northampton and weedon closed. and In my area of Northampton (NN2) Lorry jacknifed on the Main A508.

Police said on Radio only travel in an Emergency.

It was Utter chaos.:smiliz23:

Posted

12z's so far - UKMO keeps the atlantic at bay and keeps us cold and dry. GFS slams the atlantic through our block and resets everything. A halfway house would be good ie atlantic pushes in drops 12" of snow then goes back! If it keeps doing that it can come as often as it wants lol!

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Evening all

Well the weather here just can't decide what it wants to do!! W had a light covering here in the morning. Then mid morning we had light snow, that turned to sleet and then to rain, then back to light snow again!:smilz38:

Temp here have been 0C all day, but has now gone down to -1C. Feels ice cold outside. We have a slight thaw going on here. But there is still a lot of snow on the ground.

Current temp -1C

Dew point -1C

Wind chill -7C

Posted

well northamptonians have a smile on their faces now :smiliz19:

5am this morning light snow started to fall, by 8am about 5 inches had fallen. to the villages about 2 miles north of Northampton pitsford, chapel brampton a good 6 inches had fell.

M1 closed near junction 15, A45 between northampton and weedon closed. and In my area of Northampton (NN2) Lorry jacknifed on the Main A508.

Police said on Radio only travel in an Emergency.

It was Utter chaos.:smiliz23:

How large an area did this affect?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

It's snowing in Ipswich, has been since 5pm.... nothing on the radar, or anywhere near! All previous snow melted today,but there is now a dusting again with snow falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Temps have fallen in Ipswich this afternoon and we now have light snow/snizzle.

Got a dusting from it in NW Ipswich, i was also covered in it by the time I got in my house.

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

Its snowing in Ipswich...which is a lovely surprise as I really didnt expect to see anything happen today, anybody know if its due to last, or is it just a freak shower?...

The only complaint i have is that this is the 2nd time this week the snow machine has started quite literally as I step foot out of work lol!.....unequipt of course lol! :whistling:

Posted

You get snow? or stay as rain?

Up your way for new year :)

We had snow this afternoon but according to the radar we were permanently under snow which was far far far from reality and we're STILL under a puff of pink with nothing falling

Posted

Evening all,

Havn't checked in since my drama getting home from work sat night and my dismay at having well over 24 hours of drizzle getting rid of most of our 25cm (10inches) of snow here in Felixstowe!!!

Sat night I had to leave work in Snape (Nr Aldeburgh) after reports from my girlfriend that we were getting a pasting! I had a rough idea more snow was falling South with what looked like a sweet spot over Felixstowe from my limited radar watching at work!! Drove back down the A12 with only 1 or 2cm of snow in Snape.

Woodbridge marked the boundry for slightly more snow with what looked like 2 or 3 inches.

As I came down the A14 in became progressively interesting with heavy snow falling again. For those who know the Trimley roundabout I would suggest this marked the localised boundry for the heaviest falls in this area and as I entered Felixstowe for the first time ever I experienced the strange/scary/exciting emotion of my front bumpber taking off the top inch of snow acting as a snow Plough, amazing!!! To top in all off I had to dig myself out in the morning after ploughing into a parking space that evening!! Just my little experience I thought id share from over this way!!!

Now back to the questions?

Radar hasn't been showing this drizzle over Felixstowe (and other east coast areas) and with temps/dew points set to drop (Here currently 0.6 dp 0.5) will this precipitation continue to fall, assumingly caused by convection or prehaps even intensify?

As I checked my temps precep it more boarderline fine snow and only slightly sleetish!!

Nick

Posted

rich44. No radar is brilliant, they use cloud. They can help give a nowcast idea on what is around and what way it is evolving and moving

I allways think it is handy to track snow from reported locations and see where it is heading

Well I know that but how you can say see where it's heading when there's nothing falling where what's heading? Clouds with nothing falling from them? The point was that other areas were reporting snow the radar showed snow pretty much ALL day and yet all we've had is a few useless flurries. Never had a problem with the radar before now just seems to be in this cold spell or more specifically the last 48 hours <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Yes, just had a heavy snow shower which had left a dusting here east of Ipswich but nothing showing on the radar rather oddly!

Posted

still nothing here, drizzle on and off all day, now no ppn at all.  looking like ill miss out on fri aswell as will be south yet again.

am i the only member of the no snow club left!!! ????   :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Well I know that but how you can say see where it's heading when there's nothing falling where what's heading? Clouds with nothing falling from them? The point was that other areas were reporting snow the radar showed snow pretty much ALL day and yet all we've had is a few useless flurries. Never had a problem with the radar before now just seems to be in this cold spell or more specifically the last 48 hours <_<

I agree. But instead it's working in my favour. Radar shows nothing but its currently snowing (albeit very lightly now) leaving a cm or so on the ground and the road. Very slippery out though!!!

Posted

still nothing here, drizzle on and off all day, now no ppn at all. looking like ill miss out on fri aswell as will be south yet again.

am i the only member of the no snow club left!!! ???? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

NO!! still waiting here - lazy.gif

Posted

I think after all the recent will it/won't it and then just misses I have wasted enough time looking at radars and weather forecasts

Time for Christmas now and back to the old days of seeing what its like out when I draw the curtains in the morning

Personally feel its time for a warm up especially for the wildlife who suffer terribly in this harsh cold, sure i'm not alone (or maybe I am)

Good luck to those who want more snow and those who need to travel as well, hope everyone has a good festive period, see you again in the new year

Cheers for now from a mainly snowless St Ives

Rich

Posted

I think after all the recent will it/won't it and then just misses I have wasted enough time looking at radars and weather forecasts

Time for Christmas now and back to the old days of seeing what its like out when I draw the curtains in the morning

Personally feel its time for a warm up especially for the wildlife who suffer terribly in this harsh cold, sure i'm not alone (or maybe I am)

Good luck to those who want more snow and those who need to travel as well, hope everyone has a good festive period, see you again in the new year

Cheers for now from a mainly snowless St Ives

Rich

I could do with a thaw now and nothing until after the Christmas period. Things to do and people to see.

Hope you have a good 'un Rich and may St Ives make up for December in the new year. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Just drove back from Deeping (13 miles north of where I am) and as TEITS confirmed earlier it was/is definitely thicker up there with around 8cm, on the drive home with the car temp showing -2c I was behind a car doing 12miles an hour!! Seriously you'd think if you are THAT unsure of driving on icy roads, stay at home!

In saying that, the roads are bad out there so for any Peterborians driving tonight, take care.