Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do You Find Dark Mornings Depressing?

Essan

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find dark mornings depressing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The dark mornings don't bother me at all and I love the dark evenings. The amount of daylight we get from November through to January is is more than enough.

As for the person who suggested moving to double summer time. NO NO NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The dark mornings don't bother me at all and I love the dark evenings. The amount of daylight we get from November through to January is is more than enough.

As for the person who suggested moving to double summer time. NO NO NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Bloody hell. How many points do I have to agree with in this topic! laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

I find it more depressing when it's dark at 4pm.

Posted

If it's such an issue for Scotland why shouldn't they make their own changes and leave the rest of GB out of it? Let them have their own time zone!

Posted

And as for the idiot in the Daily Fail who thinks "most of us get up after sunrise for most of the year" - well sorry mate, but some of us actually have jobs and don't laze around in bed all day, rising only to cash the benefit giro and go off clubbing all night long .... :whistling:

Hear Hear! I'd tackle the unemployment problem by employing a special army of waker-uppers just to get these idle gits out of bed at 4am just to see how the other half lives. I'll get me coat now for fear of sparking a riot:lol: .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

It's the market.com - simples!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Dark mornings/Light mornings dont bother me tbh as most mornings are filled with getting ready for College anyway. However i do like the dark evenings. I like the idea of being all cosy inside with the heating/fire on and a good mug of hot chocolate with the wind, rain and snow etc outside.

Then again i love the light evenings in summer as you can enjoy the outdoors to the full. So overall im very happy with how it is though i know location is an issue especially in the North on this subject.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I just find mornings depressing in general....each morning takes me closer to that fateful final morning of my existence....now excuse me whilst I go off in search of a blunt knife with which to slash my ankles with.... :80:

just kidding, I actually prefer dark mornings, as it means I can sneak up on my customers, under cover of darkness, leaving them no escaping buying from me....Who said that 'free enterprise' is dead?...lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It doesnt really affect me that much due to my working pattern being mostly evening work so i nearly always wake up when its light, even in the middle of winter. However i sometimes do extra hours in the morning which means getting up at 6-7am. Its much more difficult to get up when its dark than when its light. The warmth and sunlight of a summers morning makes heading to work even quite pleasurable. Compare that to a dark, cold and wet morning in December. Not good knowing you have a long working day ahead. But compared to other drawbacks of winter, the dark mornings arent that bad,

So its not necassarily the dark mornings that i dont like, its the dark evenings and the fact that its already dark just after mid afternoon which is ridiculously early. But in my opinion any extra daylight would be wasted in Winter as i spend very little time outside anyway due to it being too cold/wet.

Posted

If it's such an issue for Scotland why shouldn't they make their own changes and leave the rest of GB out of it? Let them have their own time zone!

Scotland aren't proposing any changes, just a bunch of late night playing tennis freaks from Essex who would rather go to work in the dark for half the year than have to stop playing outside at 11pm in summer :winky:

Edited by Essan

Posted

I find them just mildly annoying, not depressing. I've now got used to it being dark at 7am when I go to work; what I find extremely irritating is from Sunday it will be light again (throwing me totally off kilter) at 7am for a couple of weeks, but suddenly dark an hour before I finish (5.30pm). It's the sudden change that is the real torture; it's worth noting that Iceland, much further north than Scotland, uses GMT all year despite being in the natural GMT-1 zone (actually nearer GMT-2 in its western parts, reaching 24 deg west).

Having got used to darkness at 7am, then 7.30, stretching it gradually to 9 wouldn't be a problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

loads of other countries puts their clocks forwards and backwards the same as us so what is the issue here??

Posted

loads of other countries puts their clocks forwards and backwards the same as us so what is the issue here??

That's not the issue. Loads of other countries don't want to switch to a completely different time zone - and still put their clocks forward and backwards such that midday in winter is at 13.00pm and in summer at 14.00pm

Posted

I'd like to perform a quick poll of who of you with with brown eyes hate the dark winter nights and those who don't mind the dark winter nights with lighter eyes? this has always fascinated me.

I have very light eyes and hair (ginger beard) and feel alot better with cloudy/dull skies, than with bright sunny weather, also i produce too much vitamin D in sunlight, and have vitligo, so sunlight is an enemy of mine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The colour of the eye indicates how much pigment there is in the iris, so brown or hazel (especially if dark brown) indicates high pigment, green indicates moderate-low pigment and blue or grey indicates low pigment.

The amount of pigment in the iris is correlated with ability to tolerate bright lights, so I imagine that those with brown eyes, on average, may be "pushed" towards preferring daylight because their eyes cope with it better, although I doubt that the relationship is very strong.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I don't find dark mornings depressing, but I have found that throughout the year my natural waking up time is whenever it gets light. This means in the summer I get up at silly o'clock and in the autumn and winter I have a tendency to swear at my alarm clock.

Posted

The colour of the eye indicates how much pigment there is in the iris, so brown or hazel (especially if dark brown) indicates high pigment, green indicates moderate-low pigment and blue or grey indicates low pigment.

The amount of pigment in the iris is correlated with ability to tolerate bright lights, so I imagine that those with brown eyes, on average, may be "pushed" towards preferring daylight because their eyes cope with it better, although I doubt that the relationship is very strong.

I have brown eyes, I like darkness slightly more. So, you're right, not a very strong relationship!

Posted
I'd like to perform a quick poll of who of you with with brown eyes hate the dark winter nights and those who don't mind the dark winter nights with lighter eyes? this has always fascinated me.

I have very light eyes and hair (ginger beard) and feel alot better with cloudy/dull skies, than with bright sunny weather, also i produce too much vitamin D in sunlight, and have vitligo, so sunlight is an enemy of mine.

I have brown eyes (with green bits) and brown hair (with red bits) and I like both the dark winter nights and the light summer nights.

Posted

I don't find dark mornings depressing, but I have found that throughout the year my natural waking up time is whenever it gets light. This means in the summer I get up at silly o'clock and in the autumn and winter I have a tendency to swear at my alarm clock.

This and your latest comment, are practically me in a nutshell!

EDIT: Oh. I was going to +1 both of your comments, and it seems I've exceeded my quota today, I'm too nice!

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Must admit, I love the dark mornings, when I remember to check that the curtains are shut properly before getting dressed.... :oops: :blink: :shok: :ph34r:

Something I recommend 100% is putting your table lamp on a timer to switch on around 30 mins before you get up. I have done this for many years now and it really gets you up easier on those dark mornings.

Posted

Personally I have never cared a jot whether the mornings are lighter or the evenings, and I have lived in Scotland so do know what they experience in winter there.

The thing that really gets me depressed is that they keep changing the clocks every 6 months or so and I get so very, very tired each time they do it, whether it is forward or backward!

I just about get used to the new time when it is time to change it around again and my body clock is once again out of kilter.

Does anyone else get this problem of tiredness and slight disorientation every time the clocks are changed?

Please for my sanity will they make up their mind and keep to one time all year round!!!

Posted

I find them just mildly annoying, not depressing. I've now got used to it being dark at 7am when I go to work; what I find extremely irritating is from Sunday it will be light again (throwing me totally off kilter) at 7am for a couple of weeks, but suddenly dark an hour before I finish (5.30pm). It's the sudden change that is the real torture; it's worth noting that Iceland, much further north than Scotland, uses GMT all year despite being in the natural GMT-1 zone (actually nearer GMT-2 in its western parts, reaching 24 deg west).

Having got used to darkness at 7am, then 7.30, stretching it gradually to 9 wouldn't be a problem.

Ha! Try working a 3-shift rota where you get a moments notice what you're gonna be doing next week like I do! I don't know where the hell I am at the best of times,this just adds to my general state of beffudlement and that's before the complication of fiddling with the clocks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I find dark mornings depressing when its mild, windy, drizzling or raining. They're equally depressing when it's cold and wet.

However, when it's snowing on a dark morning, I love opening the front door and seeing everything white while it's dark. Or when it's frosty there's always the prospect of it becoming a sunny day in an hour or 2s time.

I have more approval of it being dark later in the day as being a west-facing window I get the sun either still up until late in the summer or the effects of it in temperature of the room. At least in winter it's gone well before bedtime.