Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Station Help

Posted

Well I actually i suppose i could get my nana to send a cheque because she uses them but as I said I would want a company with a good reputation and a good weather station and which would be easy enough to set up for the space I have and I would also need examples of good weather stations for my budget from the site so I could show my parents :rofl:

final attempt S

this site is top class and has a very good reputation as far as I know, link below, ring them, or log on to the web site and see what they have to offer. Explain your problems, your money constraints, ability to set it up etc. They will be a much better bet than what you are suggesting in your home town.

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/contact-us.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

final attempt S

this site is top class and has a very good reputation as far as I know, link below, ring them, or log on to the web site and see what they have to offer. Explain your problems, your money constraints, ability to set it up etc. They will be a much better bet than what you are suggesting in your home town.

http://www.weathersh...contact-us.html

Okay mate Im going to email them , thankyou for all your help mate its very much appreaciated :rofl:

• 1 month later...
Posted

Ive set the weather station up outside but i dont know how to connect it to the base station , im really strugling :( ive tried to follow the instructions but ive hit a brick wall all ive managed to do is the time :(

Posted

Which model have you gone for Michael?

Don't panic, it can be quite confusing at first - everything will come together in a day or two.

Someone will probably have a similar one and be able to give advice when they see it.

Posted

Which model have you gone for Michael?

Don't panic, it can be quite confusing at first - everything will come together in a day or two.

Someone will probably have a similar one and be able to give advice when they see it.

Its an Oregon Scientific Advanced Weather Station WMR100N.

Ive tried the auto scan but its just flicking between ch1 - ch10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

If you bought it from a decent shop/dealer call them in the morning and explain your problem - they should be able to help you. I have a la crosse (clone) and it works on a fixed frequency of 433 MHz. It does sound like perhaps your sensor is not sending a signal for the base station to pick up - batteries perhaps? I have just had a quick nosy on the web and found this about your unit "Out of the box my temp/humidity sensor wouldn't work. It’s a VERY common problem... The plastic in the battery tray is too thin and stops the battery from touching one of the connectors. It’s easy to fix by pushing something small and thin behind the connector so it makes contact with the battery". May be worth a try??

Posted

If you bought it from a decent shop/dealer call them in the morning and explain your problem - they should be able to help you. I have a la crosse (clone) and it works on a fixed frequency of 433 MHz. It does sound like perhaps your sensor is not sending a signal for the base station to pick up - batteries perhaps? I have just had a quick nosy on the web and found this about your unit "Out of the box my temp/humidity sensor wouldn't work. It’s a VERY common problem... The plastic in the battery tray is too thin and stops the battery from touching one of the connectors. It’s easy to fix by pushing something small and thin behind the connector so it makes contact with the battery". May be worth a try??

Batteries are in all pieces of equipment and what you suggest in bold writing I wont be able to do ill have to ask my next door neighbour who put it up to try that. Any more ideas/suggestions anyone who owns one who have encountered the same problem and then fixed it?

Posted

I think ive fixed it i pressed the search button on the bottom on the base of the weather station.

Can anyone nearby if my readings are correct?

Temperature 13.3C

Dewpoint 10C

Humidty 77%

Wind Light Easterly

Posted

It's warmed up quite a bit the last hour or two as the wind is rising

I'm about 20 miles south I guess but higher up and more rural, 11.6C at the moment

http://weather.westerdale.info/

Pleased you got it sorted, some good temperature variations coming up this time of year with first frost to be expected before the end of the month!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IMIDDLES13

Marton

Edited by 4wd

Posted

Does anybody know why my wind direction has only picked up a max of 6.5mph and keeps changing direction from west to north to east then back again its so annoying :')

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Does anybody know why my wind direction has only picked up a max of 6.5mph and keeps changing direction from west to north to east then back again its so annoying :')

What type and model weather station you have ?

Posted

What type and model weather station you have ?

Oregon Scientific WMR100NA

Posted

Is your anemometer/vane positioned high above surrounding objects?

If not then I'm afraid you will never get decent wind speed or direction readings.

The sensors should be 10m above ground and clear from obstructions; this is usually achieved with a mast or mounted aerial pole

Posted

Is your anemometer/vane positioned high above surrounding objects?

If not then I'm afraid you will never get decent wind speed or direction readings.

The sensors should be 10m above ground and clear from obstructions; this is usually achieved with a mast or mounted aerial pole

Its connected to my house about 5m up so that explains it :)

Posted

Ive just realised my rain thingy isnt working does anybody has any reasons why and can help me ?

and my temperature has gone mad it isnt 16.6C or is it ? :S

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Has it ever worked?

This time of year lots of stuff falls from trees and can jam the tip bucket - pine needles are bad for it here.

If you're geting light showers but it won't tip, be aware it can be very difficult to assess by eye how much rain has fallen.

- maybe just not enough to tip it yet.

If the sun's on the sensor it might hit 16C for a while?

Posted

Has it ever worked?

This time of year lots of stuff falls from trees and can jam the tip bucket - pine needles are bad for it here.

If you're geting light showers but it won't tip, be aware it can be very difficult to assess by eye how much rain has fallen.

- maybe just not enough to tip it yet.

Its never worked and the floor was damp this morning and a few puddles so a decent amount of rain must have fallen. + whats happenning with my temperature is it the sun affecting it?

its 16.5C now 16.8C now 17.2C and now dropped to 14.1C as soon as the sun goes in it must be the sunlight so how can i stop this and get an accurate reading?

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

It sounds like you need to trip it manually to see if it reads.

They probably ship them with some tape over the bucket to stop it jiggling about too much, needs removing.

If you can't keep the temp sensor out of the sun you might need to think about some sort of home-made screen.

There are a few ideas on the net as to how you can make something very cheaply or even for free using plant pot trays or even margarine tubs.

This sort of thing:

ssinstall.jpg

Posted

It sounds like you need to trip it manually to see if it reads.

They probably ship them with some tape over the bucket to stop it jiggling about too much, needs removing.

If you can't keep the temp sensor out of the sun you might need to think about some sort of home-made screen.

There are a few ideas on the net as to how you can make something very cheaply or even for free using plant pot trays or even margarine tubs.

This sort of thing:

ssinstall.jpg

Ill try that rain tipping thing when I can and I was thinking what about if i put a piece of cardboard infront of the sensor and put holes in it would that work?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Ill try that rain tipping thing when I can and I was thinking what about if i put a piece of cardboard infront of the sensor and put holes in it would that work?

Hi Snow

I've got the same station, are you still having any problems?

Posted

Hi Snow

I've got the same station, are you still having any problems?

Yes I need ideas on how to sort out sun problem hitting the sensor + my rain gauge isnt registering any readings

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Friday 29th October 2010:

Cloudy and mild, breezy.

Sky: 8 Oktas, Stratocumulus.

Temperature: 12.5°C

Wind Direction: SSE force 5

Humidity: 91%

Barometer:999.0mb steady.

Today's readings for the 24 hrs up to 0900 GMT:

Maximum temperature: 13.8°C

Minimum temperature: 10.0°C

Minimum temperature on grass: 9.1°C

Rainfall total: trace mm.

Yesterday:

A bright start, though with increasing high-level cloud, so by observation it was overcast, though the suns watery disc was apparent. Remaining overcast for the most part with only a few brighter spells. There were a few spots of rain from time to time, but only enough to leave a trace.

Top temperature 13.8c Maximum wind gust, 25mph SE.

October 2010 so far

Mean temperature: 9.6c (-0.6c) of the local average)

Maximum temperature: 18.3c on the 10th

Minimum temperature: -3.7c on the 25th

Grass Minimum: -5.6c on the 25th

Rainfall = 78.9 mm

Wettest 24 hours, 19.0mm on the 1st.

Maximum wind gust: 42.4mph, SE on the 1st

2010 so far:

Maximum temperature: 29.0 on the 23rd May.

Minimum temperature: –10.0 on the 7th January.

Grass Minimum: –12.6c on the 7th January

Rainfall: = 517.7 mm

Wettest 24 hours: 19.7mm on the 22nd of January.

Maximum wind gust: 42.4mph, SE on the 1st October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Yes I need ideas on how to sort out sun problem hitting the sensor + my rain gauge isnt registering any readings

Mines about 2 ft off the patio on the side of a wooden rasied bed, sun only just misses it but in the summer i'll have to reposition it.

Didnt want it near the house due to kitchen/bathroom extractor fans effecting the readings.

If i were you i'd put it anywhere you can where the sun dosent catch it, just so you can get some consistant(ish) readings.

good luck

Posted

Mines about 2 ft off the patio on the side of a wooden rasied bed, sun only just misses it but in the summer i'll have to reposition it.

Didnt want it near the house due to kitchen/bathroom extractor fans effecting the readings.

If i were you i'd put it anywhere you can where the sun dosent catch it, just so you can get some consistant(ish) readings.

good luck

I know this but I cant move it and that isnt an option i need ideas on how to leave it were it is and get accuratish as possible readings.

Posted

I know this but I cant move it and that isnt an option i need ideas on how to leave it were it is and get accuratish as possible readings.

where is it positioned?