Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted

Im surprised everythings not dying here yet, the suns not been out for more than 5 minutes since July 21st and that day itself turned into a washout from 3pm onwards.

It's been so dark lately, very similar to a January bartlett.

Posted

Au contraire, we not had any major rainfall for weeks, and a good splash of sun.

Mind you the grass is brown, and tree are loosing leaves rapidly as they begin to die-back with the lack of water down here.

Posted

the leaves on the trees are going quite brown now and the nights are much cooler now aswell i think it wont be long till we see our firsr frost you know. on other web sites people been saying that autumn will start early and i hope it does

the leaves on the trees are going quite brown now and the nights are much cooler now aswell i think it wont be long till we see our firsr frost you know. on other web sites people been saying that autumn will start early and i hope it does

Like they say, July is the new October :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

If autumn stays this warm then I'll be a happy man!

No signs of autumn whatsoever here since it is still midsummer and temps remain high teens low 20s.

Posted

Felt like autumn yesterday afternoon,in that chilly dull NW-ly

But today has become muggy but on the downside much wetter.

Posted

most of the leaves falling at the moment Jonathon are due to lack of water nothing to do with autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No, as John Holmes has said, any brown leaves are due to a lack of water. Nights are only cool right now because we are within a cool airflow from the NW thus our uppers are cooler as well etc. Autumn is still quite some distance away in reality.

Dont get carried away i say!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Its been like autumn here since the 1st of july.

prior to that we had a very long dry spell of many months and june itself proved quite warm peaking around 23-25c on a few days.

Think our summer is just about up as usually we tend to head into autumn aound the 2nd week of august in argyll

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Nothing autumnal at all down here.. despite being in a cooler airflow, we are still reaching 22-25C each day and nights are holding up at 13-15C which is pretty average for high summer... I never notice it getting cooler untill at least mid september when nights start to feel a bit cooler, but it's still usually pleasantly warm outside well into October - average max values here for September are 19C, and early October is probably 16-17C.. so a while to go before anything very cool i'd say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

i really like the first frosts, especially fern frost forming on the cars , can you imagine a snowfall in october,snowball fights in 9or10wks time, yeah! it is possible i remember a fall that early during oct 94or95or96 not sure but there was around 3inces maybe more, does anyone remember this in the SE? im sure it was october.

Frosts,amazing sunsets, exciting atlantic developments.....yo!

Posted

i really like the first frosts, especially fern frost forming on the cars , can you imagine a snowfall in october,snowball fights in 9or10wks time, yeah! it is possible i remember a fall that early during oct 94or95or96 not sure but there was around 3inces maybe more, does anyone remember this in the SE? im sure it was october.

Expect it was October 1994 when a cold northerly brought some early wintry weather to NE Scotland in particular, I think Aberdeen had some lying snow one morning, however, very much doubt 3 inches fell in the SE, more likely a light short covering.

October 1995 brought record warmth with a notably very warm day on the 8th I think it was with many places in the SE seeing 25 degrees.

October 1996 saw average weather..

As for early season snow - late Oct 2008 saw widespread low level snow cover in the SE. Snow at low levels in the south is extremely rare before late November. Mid October 1992 saw cold wintry weather in the north. Early October is a very variable time in the year sometimes it can be very wet and stormy and cool other times dry sunny and warm.

I don't tend to expect any really cold weather until mid-late November.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Expect it was October 1994 when a cold northerly brought some early wintry weather to NE Scotland in particular, I think Aberdeen had some lying snow one morning, however, very much doubt 3 inches fell in the SE, more likely a light short covering.

October 1995 brought record warmth with a notably very warm day on the 8th I think it was with many places in the SE seeing 25 degrees.

As for early season snow - late Oct 2008 saw widespread low level snow cover in the SE. Snow at low levels in the south is extremely rare before late November. Mid October 1992 saw cold wintry weather in the north. Early October is a very variable time in the year sometimes it can be very wet and stormy and cool other times dry sunny and warm.

Earliest snow which i remember was 25th October 2000 on the back edge of a low pressure are exiting the UK. Snow in November falls once every 3 years on average (as in fairly widespread), though there are exceptions (both 2004 and 2005).

Posted

I suppose one thing i'm looking forward too come Sepetember is seeing the first signs of the temperatures dropping off in Scotland. It would certainly be a nice change to experience a Northerly in September instead of the usual warmth we have in recent years also.

Plus, it won't be long if the set up is right of seeing the snow graphic appearing in Norway on the BBC forecast, i think once you see all these things happening then you know summer will be leaving us.

Sometimes leaf fall around August is also associated with the lack of sunlight getting to the inside leaves aswell as rainfall and this always fools people thinking we are seeing an early leaf fall.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Oh aye i remember that i think it was the 31st of october, and it was snowing, in london the snow actually law on the kerbs like all day but there was very little. The bbc london ones were saying that they had like 2 inches in the country.

Posted

Nothing autumnal at all down here.. despite being in a cooler airflow, we are still reaching 22-25C each day and nights are holding up at 13-15C which is pretty average for high summer... I never notice it getting cooler untill at least mid september when nights start to feel a bit cooler, but it's still usually pleasantly warm outside well into October - average max values here for September are 19C, and early October is probably 16-17C.. so a while to go before anything very cool i'd say.

Are you foreal 17c max in september thats what is is here now... i'd say about 11/12c max.. i wish it would cool off quicker this year i can't wait to the first single digits because then i know frosts will come and it can snow in heavy showers!rolleyes.gif When do they usually come?

Posted

It's August now and that means it's Autumn next month. Hooray! :D:D

The first frost here last year was 8th October, which was nice and early. I am hoping for at least the same this year, if not sooner. :doh:

The berries on my cotoneaster are starting to turn red, a nice little sign of what is to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

:acute:I remember this snow event but cant put a date to it, we had 24 hours of lying snow in north beds & bucks maybe longer. If joe laminate floori is right

we could have another cold one to look forward to, maybe put some money on a white xmas.

Why is it when I type Joe B a s t a r d i , another thing comes up ? :doh:

Posted

Today was a proper Autumnal day here, only reached 17.0c and less than 15 minutes of sunshine again.

Posted

Today was a proper Autumnal day here, only reached 17.0c and less than 15 minutes of sunshine again.

My oldest daughter (22) said that there was quite an Autumnal feeling about yesterday morning, with a distinct chill in the air when she left for work. I thought exactly the same when I left at 6.30. It was noticeable as soon as I walked out of the door.

That's not to say that it won't warm up again, but it was certainly the first "chill" of the "Summer into Autumn" period.

:lol: :lol:

PS "Summer slips away, Winter draw(er)s on". :lol:

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Again, 30-40 miles can make all the difference cant it. Here had a very good day yesterday with good sunshine levels all day and 22c. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Yep, I certainly felt Autumn stepping outside at 8.15 on Monday morning, crazy that, the change from July to August made such a difference, thoughts turning to open fires and jumpers now, can't believe it' supposed to be summer...and I'm in the SE and it's not really even that cold - its just a feeling :(

Posted

Nothing like a ground frost, but I recorded a min temp of 8.9C here this morning which makes it the coldest night in July since 2004. Its only 2C above the record min, so I wouldnt be suprised at all if areas further north recorded such low temperatures.

Had 8c here last night in deepest Warwickshire !! Wonder what it was further North?