Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Alex

Posted

from weather underground

Alex's bizarre behavior

Alex had several rather remarkable features I've never seen in a hurricane. Firstly, it underwent an eyewall replacement cycle as a Category 1 hurricane with 80 mph winds. Usually, we don't see the inner eyewall collapse and an eyewall replacement cycle occur until a hurricane reaches Category 3 strength. I've seen it happen on occasion to a Category 2 storm, but never a Category 1. Secondly, after Alex's inner 9-mile diameter eyewall collapsed at 10am EDT yesterday morning, an outer spiral band began to become the new eyewall. Winds in this outer spiral band/new eywall increased as the day progressed, as typically happens in an eyewall replacement cycle. However, part way through that process, Alex suddenly reversed course, and was able to build a small inner eyewall with a 12-mile diameter that was completed by landfall. I've never seen a hurricane change its mind in the middle of an eyewall replacement cycle and build an inner eyewall so fast. Finally, Alex had an unusually weak winds, considering how low the pressure was. The pressure was more typical of a hurricane one Saffir-Simpson category stronger than what the surface winds suggested.

:unsure:

Posted

Cookie, Jeff Masters is right, it really did complete the EWRC very rapidly, the whole inner core ramped up exceptionally fast compared to the mess it was in with the double wind Maxima (two peaks in the wind ,normally there'd be one, the eyewall...therefore 2 peaks suggests 2 eyewalls.)

2nd strongest June hurricane in terms of pressure, second only to Audrey, which got down 1mb lower to 946mbs!

Posted

Cookie, Jeff Masters is right, it really did complete the EWRC very rapidly, the whole inner core ramped up exceptionally fast compared to the mess it was in with the double wind Maxima (two peaks in the wind ,normally there'd be one, the eyewall...therefore 2 peaks suggests 2 eyewalls.)

2nd strongest June hurricane in terms of pressure, second only to Audrey, which got down 1mb lower to 946mbs!

I was unsure at Jeff, I was unsure at Alex and what he did.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We love seeing the unbridled power of nature but we hate it's impacts on man and nature.

With such a big season forecast we must know (deep down inside) that folk will suffer this season be it from being forced into tent towns, post earthquake, or from oil out of Deep horizon.

We love the raw energy of a tornado or a 'cane but only as spectators (please!!!)

Posted

We love seeing the unbridled power of nature but we hate it's impacts on man and nature.

With such a big season forecast we must know (deep down inside) that folk will suffer this season be it from being forced into tent towns, post earthquake, or from oil out of Deep horizon.

We love the raw energy of a tornado or a 'cane but only as spectators (please!!!)

that's why Hurricane Celia was perfect far enough away from land to cause no problems at all and one of the most visually stunning hurricanes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

that's why Hurricane Celia was perfect far enough away from land to cause no problems at all and one of the most visually stunning hurricanes.

Agreed cookie!

Sadly the 'drama' of the U.S. news crews, when a 'Cane is hitting mainland U.S,. is a real draw for me (well worth staying up for!) so we (I hope 'WE'?) are a bit 'rubberneckie' about it all too!!

We can't stop it occuring (though we may influence it's power???) so we watch with awe.